Forum Index > Trip Reports > Stuart Lake and Horseshoe Lake attempt 8-3-07
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostFri Aug 03, 2007 7:48 pm 
Well, it wasn't much of an attempt... The trail to Stuart Lake is in fine shape, with lots of backpackers on their way to glorious weekends. After the Colchuck Lake junction, but before the final little push to the lake, the trail breaks into these incredible meadows with great views of much of the Stuart range. Possibly an even more spectacular spot than the lake. If you're pressed for time or the lake is still too snowy, this is a good turnaround point. Reached Stuart in an easy 2 hours, or a little less. I had in mind a possible attempt at Horseshoe Lake. I had to be back in seattle early-evening, and I got a later start than I wanted, so things looked dubious from the beginning. I followed the trail a ways past the end of Stuart Lake, but before it heads uphill to Horseshoe. After crossing a small stream, I lost it in a huge area of fallen trees (or "blowdown," but I hate that word, it just sounds so dumb). I don't like to go cross-country solo, and I didn't have time to do it that way anyway. Even if I poked around and picked up the track again, there was clearly going to be plenty of this kind of thing, so it clearly wasn't happening. So I bailed. Oh well, another time. Stuart was plenty pretty enough, and now I had time to relax a bit on its shores...
Stuart and Meadows
Stuart and Meadows
First view of Stuart
First view of Stuart
Meadows
Meadows
Wavy barked tree
Wavy barked tree
Two different insects sharing a flower
Two different insects sharing a flower

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Overlander
a.k.a. Trailjunky

Overlander
a.k.a. Trailjunky
PostSat Aug 04, 2007 12:26 am 
I went to Lake Stuart for the first time on 7/30. What a wonderful place. Our pictures look very similar. I have to agree with you about the meadows, it was a very nice change from dense forest. What spectacular views of the Stuart Range. I was first at the lake that day and had spider webs wrapped around my face and arms to prove it. I had the same plan as you...Horseshoe Lake. Due to the lack of a hiking partner, I opted to hit Colchuck Lake on my way back. My last trip to Colchuck was in 2001. I'm very glad I revisited that place. I had a great day. up.gif

Sticker on the back of my 1970 Volkswagen Westfalia: Jesus Is My Airbag
Slide Alder Slayer

Slide Alder Slayer
PostSat Aug 04, 2007 11:32 am 
Just look for the horseshoe in the small diameter tree and head uphill to your right.
Horseshoe Lake sign post
Horseshoe Lake sign post
The trial does go out to the marsh a bit to your left before it skirts back to the forrest but it is always right on the edge of the forrest. (The trail turns up by the outlet stream to Horseshoe, but no guarantee the stream will be running.) It is easy to be a bit confused on the way up in a few places, just pause and think where would I go and it all works out. No problems going down. The lamp in our scanner just died after this picture, but others have posted nice reports of the area.

Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostSat Aug 04, 2007 12:32 pm 
I don't think I made it as far as the Horseshoe outlet stream (or that horseshoe tree). I think it was the stream on the map you cross before that. Maybe at that point was when the trail goes back down toward the marsh a bit. Bottom line was I didn't have enough time. I have seen the reports and it looks gorgeous, I'll have to go back some day.