Forum Index > Trip Reports > Bryce Canyon/Escalante Region - April 25 2007
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
dusty boots
' Gimp '

dusty boots
' Gimp '
PostWed Aug 01, 2007 11:39 am 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Well, I finally got some spare time to finish of my Trip Report of my visit to Southern Utah, this spring. This is the 4th and final TR. After I left Zion NP, I made camp and left early for Bryce Canyon NP. In fact, I was so early, there was nobody at the gate. I thought I'd follow RM's suggestion of heading 1st to the far reaches of the park and then stopping at the view points on the way out. Since I was starting to get 'crowded' a bit for time(I had to be home in 3 days) I kind of rushed this one and didn't get out to do any day hikes! bawl.gif I'll just let the photos speak for themselves. After I left Bryce, I couldn't decide which way to head home, but I chose to continue along scenic State Route 12, heading east/northeast through the little town of Tropic,(where you can look back at Bryce) and on towards the town of Escalante. Am I ever glad I did! biggrin.gif up.gif I was getting hungry by the time I hit Escalante and my impression was that it's almost like a 'Ghost Town', it was so dead. bored.gif zzz.gif I found a quaint, old, little eatery, which had the walls decorated with all sorts of old, western relics and pictures. cool.gif As I was heading out of town, I noticed a road cutting off to the left called Hells Backbone Rd(?) and thought that was a neat road, but I had no idea where it lead to. (I found out later that it reconnects with SR 12 later on, up nearer Boulder UT) A short distance out of town, the road stated to get interesting again.
The road started gaining a bit of elevation and all of a sudden, when you turn a curve, the road fell away and revealed Escalante's real nature and 'claim to fame'. dance.gif US SR 12 from here to the small town of Boulder Utah(27 miles/50k) was a veritable roller coaster ride. Extremely Cool!! There were lots of scenic pull offs to take pics, or just gaze off into the expanse of this area. I read somewhere that on a clear day, it is possible to see for 200 miles(320ks) on this stretch of road. It snaked around through gullies and at times on the tops of ridges, where either side of the 'highway' was a drop-off into a canyon on either side! cool.gif Very scenic and entertaining drive, where you wouldn't want to drive this section if you were sleepy!! hairy.gif
I sure regret that I didn't have enough time to explore this wonderful region more, as it looks like you could spend an easy week(or 2) exploring this very cool area alone .... never mind the rest of Southern Utah. Thanks for coming along with me, down to Southern Utah .... Land of Wonder and Contrasts! dizzy.gif Dusty

it should be right around that next bend........I think.....
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
lookout bob
WTA proponent.....

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....
PostWed Aug 01, 2007 11:42 am 
ah Utah.....thanks for posting your very cool pictures Dusty!!! up.gif up.gif cool.gif

"Altitude is its own reward" John Jerome ( from "On Mountains")
dusty boots
' Gimp '

dusty boots
' Gimp '
PostSat Aug 04, 2007 9:19 pm 
amazing area!
Southern Utah .... very cool area, where it's hard not to come away without some good shots and memories Bob! agree.gif Dusty

it should be right around that next bend........I think.....