Forum Index > Trip Reports > Spray Park, August 5th, 2007
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Gray
Lazy Hiker

Gray
Lazy Hiker
PostMon Aug 06, 2007 2:33 pm 
We'd planned on leaving Friday night after work, staying at Mowich Lake CG, or nearby, then doing Spray Park as a dayhike Saturday, and possibly Tolmie Peak/Eunice Lake Sunday. As happens so often with best laid plans... 1 upset tummy, 1 related drop out, and 1 more pass... by the time we were ready to go, we found our numbers reduced to 3, and it too late to get to the park before dark. So, we ended up going Saturday afternoon, instead. Thinking we would have no chance of getting a backcountry permit that late on a Saturday, 2 of us headed to Mowich to grab a spot, while the other two went to Carbon River to try for the permits. Amazingly, we manage to secure a permit for Eagle's Roost! We got to Mowich, and spent a bit of time swappign gear around (I'd packed both a daypack and an overnight one), and then headed out. It was mostly cloudy, with the BFM socked in low clouds. It got a little better as we headed to camp, but still no views. We set up camp, and proceeded to make food. A cold beer, a pull from the Glenmorangie, and I was fairly mellow. Instead of walking back to the overlook and hoping the clouds would clear, I stayed in camp and just watch the light change. And of course... it cleared up and everyting went brilliant pink. I kick myself for not grabbing camera and tripod and heading back to the overlook. Made a fairly early night, but didn't sleep very well. Once we were all up, we cached our packs, and headed toward Spray Park with water and camera. I'd never been before, and I was suitable impressed. Spray Falls was nice, a lot taller than I'd expected. The flowers in the Park seemed to be a bit past prime, but still pretty. The day was so clear, I had problems getting good shots. The mountain was so bright, if it was exposed correctly, the foreground was almost black. Started getting a bit better luck with an ND filter, circular polarizer, or combination of the two... oh well, learning experience. Headed back to the car shortly before we hit the highpoint, pooped. Thanks to the random hiker in the parking lot who suggested the Pick and Shovel in Wilkenson for our burger fix. Hit the spot, the onion rings were good (though I like mine cooked more), and pondered the meaning of the ziplock back of water tacked above the door...
Thistle
Thistle
Me and the BFM
Me and the BFM
Fun fun! --Gray

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Prince of Happiness
Fly in the ointment

Prince of Happiness
Fly in the ointment
PostMon Aug 06, 2007 2:38 pm 
If you hit past the point where y'all turned around you would have gotten into the park proper. Hella blooms there! That's the area where I hit the climbers' path to the saddle between (I think) Hessong Rock and Mount Pleasant. Of course, probably for the best, considering that the mosquitos on that saddle lit me up like a Christmas tree. waah.gif

The Prince of Happiness "A man who does not care about the beer he drinks , may as well not care about the bread he eats." - M. Jackson, Beerhunter as seen by my friend Anita on a sign in Helsinki
ragman and rodman

ragman and rodman
PostMon Aug 06, 2007 2:56 pm 
Denali Girl and I were on Fay Peak yesterday... from Fay we watched people swatting bugs in the col between Hessong Rock and Mt. Pleasant... and the bugs were very bad on Fay Peak also... A side note... the road to Mowich Lake is in excellent shape.

"Teanaway 70" Peaks List... a guide to hiking and scrambling in the Teanaway Area. ----------------
Gray
Lazy Hiker

Gray
Lazy Hiker
PostMon Aug 06, 2007 2:59 pm 
Yeah, the bugs were fierce. Yesterday I thought I escaped... they didn't seem to be biting much, just swarming me. Today, the delayed-onset of bites has started. I think I got so many on my forehead, or my skin hated the DEET so much, that I've got a big irregular slightly swollen blotch... at least it doesn't itch. We just really couldn't face any more elevation gain. My legs were pooped, and the trip from Eagle's Roost to Mowich had me draggin'. I really need to get into better shape. I need to sit down and stich the couple of panoramas I took. Not sure the one from the initial meadow in the Park will be any good, since the sky-tones all came out vastly different, but I think the one from the Eagle Cliffs overlook should be nice. Also have one of the trees near the Spray Falls sidetrail that I want to stitch, then convert to B&W. --Gray

Prince of Happiness
Fly in the ointment

Prince of Happiness
Fly in the ointment
PostMon Aug 06, 2007 3:03 pm 
My theory is that one large bite acts as the "nerve center" of suffering for a constellation of smaller bites. At least that's how I'm feeling right now. Totally should have gone for the netting. :| I want to go back there pretty bad! R and R, is the way up Fay very technical or can it be done as a scramble?

The Prince of Happiness "A man who does not care about the beer he drinks , may as well not care about the bread he eats." - M. Jackson, Beerhunter as seen by my friend Anita on a sign in Helsinki
ragman and rodman

ragman and rodman
PostMon Aug 06, 2007 3:17 pm 
PoH... Fay is not technical... I will send you a pm...

"Teanaway 70" Peaks List... a guide to hiking and scrambling in the Teanaway Area. ----------------
Prince of Happiness
Fly in the ointment

Prince of Happiness
Fly in the ointment
PostMon Aug 06, 2007 3:23 pm 
Awesome! I was considering bagging one of the two peaks but common sense prevailed seeing as I was: 1. Way ahead of everyone else so they would have no idea where in the hell I was. 2. Not a lot of people really come up there, so if anything happened, help would be a long time a-comin'. 3. Didn't know anything else about taking either of the two summits ("Gee, that rock doesn't look the most stable. Maybe I should try again if I actually have a...y'know...helmet"). But damn if I wouldn't want to try again some day! Those mountains will make a climber out of me yet. eek.gif I want to give big ups to Gray for organizing the trip also. up.gif up.gif up.gif