Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Absent NWHikers
Previous :: Next Topic  
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk

BrontosaurusTheorist
PostMon Mar 04, 2019 12:08 am 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
I'm always astounded at the number of who folks aren't concerned about letting the FB personal data vacuum cleaner into their lives despite what's been revealed about them in the last few years.  Nothing could incentivize me to go near it.  Some may debate whether the Zuckerberg biz model is worse than Google & Amazon, but FB hardly seems as indispensable.

I like what you've built here, Tom; a "colorful"  clown.gif  community and a site that holds my attention longer than WTA ever could.  Only hope you can find the time soon for (cough, cough) adding  the SSL certificate someone mentioned in the Support section a while back.    hockeygrin.gif
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
JonnyQuest

JonnyQuest

PostMon Mar 04, 2019 1:47 pm 
Tom wrote:
I'm still astounded that people gravitate to Facebook so much

I fully agree.  I get the social aspects of FB, and the ease at which it helps you "be seen" by many.  But content seems so limited, and access to content I find challenging.  I joined WHC just to see about the buzz, and find myself spending little if any time there.  Granted, I'm a FB neophyte, and I'm sure I'm unaware of secret search functions or hidden pages with detailed trip reports or other worthy discussions.  But the "home page" posts and associated comments don't do much for me.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
Jordan
y

Jordan

y
PostWed Mar 06, 2019 1:44 am 
Tom wrote:
I'm still astounded that people gravitate to Facebook so much. As someone who doesn't visit Facebook as much and thus perhaps less susceptible to the lobster in a pot phenomenon it's such an affront to see how Facebook chooses to manipulate the content they want you to see.

I stay away from facebook for the most part too for the same reasons.  I still check in to see if any real friends or family are trying to contact me. Maybe about 2 mins every other day.  FB is way too political now and I couldn't care less for people to see me and what I'm doing.  Gotta say I like the way you think Tom, I've noticed it over the years.  You must be a good guy.  I'd post more here but metal detecting took over all other hobbies.  I still get out for a backpack over the summer and a few day hikes but dont even carry a camera anymore.  I still watch for others needing advice and ask my own each year before I go on my overnighter.  Again, thanks for your help last year Tom and keep up the good work.

--------------
none
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
chrisinakmtns

chrisinakmtns

PostSun Mar 10, 2019 11:24 am 
This thread is timely. I've been absent for a while but was always more of a lurker. For me it's been a lot of "life" - kids, starting a business, building a home (actually recycling a home from Victoria BC). A decent chunk of my internet time has been lost FB. I'm in the process of removing myself and my data from that black hole. I have been spending more time catching up on here as of late. I miss the pure discussion this forum provides. Expect see more of me.
Kim Brown

Kim Brown

PostMon Mar 11, 2019 10:03 am 
Anne Elk wrote:
a site that holds my attention longer than WTA ever could

WTA's Trail Talk was quite colorful in its day, and especially so in the days directly before WTA shut it down, prompting the creation of NWH!  wink.gif WTA definitely held attention back then!

But now, it's comparing apples to oranges. The 2 sites don't have the same intent.

--------------
" I'm really happy about this! … I have very strong good and horrible memories up there."  – oldgranola, NWH’s outdoors advocate.
Damian

Damian

PostMon Mar 11, 2019 8:11 pm 
Kim Brown wrote:
WTA's Trail Talk was quite colorful in its day

You mean back when Tom and I were put on double secret probation for not conforming?  I met a lot of good folks on that site.  Many of whome I still know here.  I think I met Kim there too.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
MtnGoat

MtnGoat

PostTue Mar 12, 2019 8:41 am 
That was freaking awesome.

If I recall correctly, non compliance with WTA stances on numerous issues was always viewed as problematic, but things came to a head with their support for locking down road access on the full MFK and the online pushback in their forum.

--------------
Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Kim Brown

Kim Brown

PostTue Mar 12, 2019 2:42 pm 
Actually the bigger issue was a picture of a cairn that Tom posted. Pictures on forums were rare then, and WTA hadn’t developed the site enough to handle them, but users were posting pics and it created a big flap. By then, the arguments were detrimental to the WTA website, and WTA, being dependent on donors, felt that the arguments, insults, and general b.s. that we now know is inherent in forums, was a bit offensive.

The Mid Fk issue didn’t cause problems with Trail Talk. Motorized users were jamming the site off and on in the beginning, well before the Mid Fk project, but the guy responsible for Trail Talk tracked down the IP addresses and talked to the supervisor at their offices, so that was that on that.

O what fun it was.

--------------
" I'm really happy about this! … I have very strong good and horrible memories up there."  – oldgranola, NWH’s outdoors advocate.
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar

Living The Dream
PostTue Mar 12, 2019 2:49 pm 
Kim Brown wrote:
but the guy responsible for Trail Talk tracked down the IP addresses and talked to the supervisor at their offices

How petty was that? Lol. Talk about needing a hobby. That's like the time this dude from Europe found my phone number online and called me at MIDNIGHT to tell me I was keeping company with the wrong men on the BPL forum. Dying of laughter. He called me twice (as the first time I didn't wake up)
Yeah, it didn't go well  lol.gif  lol.gif I am still not sure what he was thinking. I told him if he ever called me again, my husband would rip his man parts off through the phone. The next day I posted on BPL that if you ever feel the need to mansplain to a woman, Google her to find contact info, and then call her.....you should go burn your computer.  lol.gif  lol.gif

--------------
https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
Tom
Admin

Tom

Admin
PostTue Mar 12, 2019 3:31 pm 
The issue wasn't that the WTA didn't have resources to host pictures. The webmaster simply didn't want anyone to post pictures because he thought the pages would load too slow. I had embedded a small picture hosted on my own personal website via the HTML image tag. The administrator then disabled the image tag. I found a way to post the picture with JavaScript since he forgot to disable that tag LOL. That got me banned from WTA trail talk by the administrator who claimed I had hacked the site and all of my trip reports were also deleted by the administrator. Soon thereafter WTA shutdown trail talk and that was the start of NWH after a short hiatus on a forum that MtnGoat hosted.

As far as the picture with the cairn that was posted by the administrator after he had disabled the image tag for everyone else lol.
Brushwork
Know your complex

Brushwork

Know your complex
PostTue Mar 12, 2019 4:27 pm 
Well, sometimes good things happen from rebellion!

--------------
When I grow up I wanna play.
Kim Brown

Kim Brown

PostTue Mar 12, 2019 4:42 pm 
sarbar wrote:
Kim Brown wrote:
but the guy responsible for Trail Talk tracked down the IP addresses and talked to the supervisor at their offices

How petty was that? Lol. Talk about needing a hobby.

It was actually detrimental for the organization to utilize the website for its mission. The website was slammed shut when it was jammed, and it was jammed on purpose by a group of motorized users from a local large corporation. Easy to find their supervisor. The jamming was impacting WTA’s ability to post their volunteer trips and hard or impossible for volunteers to sign up, fundraising, event invitations, trip reports – and donors were having trouble donating. Back then, most of this was still done via paper and phone, but a lot of would-be donors and volunteers were on the internet bandwagon.

So it might seem petty, but when it’s hurting an organization’s fund-raising and other efforts, that is a big deal.

--------------
Kim Brown

Kim Brown

PostTue Mar 12, 2019 4:45 pm 
Tom wrote:
As far as the picture with the cairn that was posted by the administrator after he had disabled the image tag for everyone else lol.

Ah! its coming back to me now.

The Trouble with Cairns.

So many fond memories.

Catwoman, where art thou?

--------------
Adohrn

Adohrn

PostTue Mar 12, 2019 11:08 pm 
Really cool to have you reminiscing about the back story of this forum.  Have read bits and pieces elsewhere, but now I feel like I have a much better picture of what happened.
neek

neek

PostWed Mar 13, 2019 8:51 am 
Haha... Tom you h4x0r.  I was in Oregon at the time so sadly wasn't tuned into WTA or nwhikers.  I vaguely recall seeing a car at the Dog Mtn trailhead with "nwhikers.net" painted on the side, but forgot about it until a decade later when I stumbled across the site.  Did I imagine that?
  Display:     All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Absent NWHikers
  Happy Birthday Matt!
Jump to:   
Search this topic: