Forum Index > Trip Reports > Boston Basin / Sahale Pk. 8/10-8/13
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostTue Aug 14, 2007 1:49 pm 
Location : E. of Marblemount on Cascade River Rd. Access: Near end of Cascade River Rd. on left between Eldorado and Cascade Pass TH Guidebooks: Hiking the North Cascades by Molvar, Climbing Washingtons Mountains by Smoot Maps : GTM - Cascade Pass and Diablo, Custom TOPO
Boston Basin Area
Boston Basin Area
This has been a good year of hitting the trail to many wonderful places, and a year of improving and learning new skills, to expand my knowledge base, and use as tools to get me where I want to go hmmm.gif . A recent rock climbing course, and now the six day snow / glacier travel course crammed into four days with private instruction to be held in Boston Basin on the Quien Sabe Glacier, ending in a summit of Sahale Peak up.gif . The standard stuff with some customization to your individual needs and goals, can't beat that. Christmas in July chickenleg.gif , well maybe I just wanted to play with more gear, the garage is looking empty, if only I could afford it now hockeygrin.gif . I met Seth an instructor / guide with Northern Cascade Mountain Guides at the ranger station in Marblemount, we checked some gear, and we both drove up Cascade River Rd. where he dropped his truck off at the Eldorado TH and we drove a short distance to the Boston Basin TH. We had cloud cover and it was coolish so we hit that obstacle course of a trail, me with a 50lb. pack (OUCHY !), working our way up to the high camp hink.gif . Once you break out of the trees it's gorgeous in the alpine zone surrounded by a huge basin, with ridges, and peaks up.gif .
Eventuallly we made it to high camp at around 6250' only to find a mass of tents from a group of college kids who were majoring in "Outdoor Recreation", there assigment, climb a bunch of Cascade Peaks, I don't remember that being available when I went to college confused.gif .
High camp, not what I had in mind for solitude, the group left on our second day, leaving us with some peace.
High camp, not what I had in mind for solitude, the group left on our second day, leaving us with some peace.
Sweet ! after one and a half days of rain, no leaks !
Sweet ! after one and a half days of rain, no leaks !
Climbers path to the snowfield and glacier.
Climbers path to the snowfield and glacier.
Johannesburg Mtn. with Dome Peak in the background.
Johannesburg Mtn. with Dome Peak in the background.
They were cool, but noisy blah.gif We setup our tents / gear then... Day 1 : Review all gear and knots related to snow and glacier travel. Day 2: Glacier travel techniques, anchor systems, rope travel etc... Day 3: Crevasse Rescue all day in the rain and 30-40 degree temps, then Trip planning, navigation . Day 4 : Alpine start summit of Sahale via Quien Sabe Glacier, travelling around and over crevasses, travelling through ice fields hairy.gif , clear camp, then descend to vehicles.
Learning snow anchors and roped glacier travel etc...
Learning snow anchors and roped glacier travel etc...
It flew by fairly fast, but a full night and day of rain, was less than optimal, on the plus, my BD Firstlight never leaked up.gif, on the minus it was cold, the tents had ice on them, and I almost slipped off that nice crapper with views of Johannesburg into the rocks. Seth was trying to persuade me to packup and do a day of climbing off Washington Pass, but, NOT, I stuck to the plan, I wanted to do the Glacier and the Peak. We awoke early to completely blue skies.The glacier was nice, probably not as hard as the Colchuck Glacier, except for winding around the open crevasses. The rocky ridge was dry thankfully, and a fun, but exposed class 4 scramble in places, with a smallish summit, already occupied by some climbers via the Sahale Arm, but the views were just fantatstic, talk about a sea of peaks, you sure are in them right there. I had hoped to rappel off the summit, but Seth thought rappeling off 4th class rock was lame hmmm.gif , so we downclimbed and made our way back. Along the way we checked out some crevasses and he routed us through some snow bridges and the "Dry Glacier" (Ice) descending through that convluted mess, that will focus the mind agree.gif . Eventually it all played out, and it was a bomber experience / trip. I'm ready for some desert hiking now winksmile.gif .
Johannesburg late evening the day before the summit, after a night and day of rain in the 30s-40s practicing crevasse rescue.
Johannesburg late evening the day before the summit, after a night and day of rain in the 30s-40s practicing crevasse rescue.
Early morning coffee at high camp. A cold night with ice on the tent.
Early morning coffee at high camp. A cold night with ice on the tent.
The path of least resistance to Sahale Peak.
The path of least resistance to Sahale Peak.
A cloud free Johannesburg Mtn.
A cloud free Johannesburg Mtn.
Early morning ascent up Quien Sabe Glacier. Sahale Peak up to the left.
Early morning ascent up Quien Sabe Glacier. Sahale Peak up to the left.
Early morning ascent up the Quien Sabe Glacier.Sahale Peak just right of center.
Early morning ascent up the Quien Sabe Glacier.Sahale Peak just right of center.
South ridge of Boston Peak.
South ridge of Boston Peak.
Lower N. ridge of Sahale Mtn.
Lower N. ridge of Sahale Mtn.
Boston Peak from Sahale Peak
Boston Peak from Sahale Peak
Forbidden Peak
Forbidden Peak
Glacier Peak
Glacier Peak
?
?
Snowking over the NW shoulder of Johannesburg ?
Snowking over the NW shoulder of Johannesburg ?
S and W on Sahale summit 8700'.
S and W on Sahale summit 8700'.
Mt. Baker, Eldorado Peak, Mt. Shuksan, and Forbidden Peak.
Mt. Baker, Eldorado Peak, Mt. Shuksan, and Forbidden Peak.
Sharkfin Tower from high on the Quien Sabe Glacier.
Sharkfin Tower from high on the Quien Sabe Glacier.
View from the N. ridge of Sahale Peak.
View from the N. ridge of Sahale Peak.
Upper Boston Basin withW ridge of Forbidden, Mt. Torment, Eldorado Peak in the background, Mt. Baker behind Eldorado..
Upper Boston Basin withW ridge of Forbidden, Mt. Torment, Eldorado Peak in the background, Mt. Baker behind Eldorado..
Negotiating crevasses on the way down from Sahale Peak.
Negotiating crevasses on the way down from Sahale Peak.
Snowbridge over crevasse.
Snowbridge over crevasse.
Sharkfin Tower
Sharkfin Tower
Boston Basin looking West.
Boston Basin looking West.
Johannesburg Mtn. on the way down from high camp in Boston Basin.
Johannesburg Mtn. on the way down from high camp in Boston Basin.
The toe of The Quien Sabe Glacier. The  convoluted and crevassed icy descent down to the snowfield below was interesting.
The toe of The Quien Sabe Glacier. The convoluted and crevassed icy descent down to the snowfield below was interesting.
Johannesburg the evening before th Sahale summit, hoping for clearing conditions.
Johannesburg the evening before th Sahale summit, hoping for clearing conditions.
Looking WSW over Johannesburg Mountain.
Looking WSW over Johannesburg Mountain.
Near the summit of Sahale looking WNW into Boston Basin and beyond.
Near the summit of Sahale looking WNW into Boston Basin and beyond.

Living in the Anthropocene
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
wolfs

wolfs
PostTue Aug 14, 2007 3:08 pm 
Sounds like it was a great trip. My brother and I climbed Sahale / Quien Sabe maybe 15 years ago, this may have been before NCNP had permits and designated sites up there (or perhaps we scammed). Plan A had actually been W Ridge Forbidden but we didn't like the looks of the schrunds in the entrance couloir. So Plan B became a Sharkfin (standard route) Sahale QS combo. I remember the glacier as having exposed crevasses and in particular some quite steep ramps/bridges, but looking more intact than your pix. I also definitely remember one airy slablike thing jsut below the very top of Sahale where I was glad to have a quickie belay.

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostTue Aug 14, 2007 4:01 pm 
There are some quite open and deep crevasses on there. Like I said above it was below freezing during the night, so with the early start and retreat, the snow was hard. So here we are roped up going around this stuff, including the ice and my axe barely dents the snow, so I am putting some intention into planting my crampons (especially descending into it) because there is no self arresting in that. Rather knarly. Boston Peak looked cruddy from the col, not slabby like Sahale. As far as Sharkfin, that's above my level, maybe my desire. I like the views, didn't have enough time to take all the pics I would have liked and I had my wifes Kodak point and shoot, less weight and bulk, terrible images and capabilities.

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostWed Aug 15, 2007 9:52 am 

TrailPair

TrailPair
PostWed Aug 15, 2007 8:19 pm 
Excellent!!! up.gif up.gif I love the glacier travel cool.gif ......the crunching of crusty snow underr the crampons....the coral tinted sunrises tongue.gif ...I don't like carying the *^*^^ heavy pack up steep knarly climbers trails paranoid.gif (but that's the price we pay to climb on the norhtcascade peaks. With your new knowlede, you can be on our rope team any time (but we don't do the technical rock climbing stuff) shakehead.gif Keep up the good work

This thing called work is interfering with my play
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostThu Aug 16, 2007 8:34 am 
Thanks TP, I'm lining up my gear. What are you guys using as a glacier travel rope ?, I was looking at a Mammut Phoenix 8.0mm 30M.

GeoTom

GeoTom
PostThu Aug 16, 2007 8:38 am 
Nice pictures cool.gif

Knows literally nothing
TrailPair

TrailPair
PostThu Aug 16, 2007 8:43 am 
Wildernessed, We use the Beal Rando 8 mm x 30 m dry rope (often called mountain floss). I like the light weight. The down side is that when tying on the prusiks, it takes more wraps to make it snug.

This thing called work is interfering with my play
Slide Alder Slayer

Slide Alder Slayer
PostThu Aug 16, 2007 10:00 am 
Way to go! Any problems with condensation on the inside of you tent?

ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!

ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!
PostThu Aug 16, 2007 10:41 am 
Sweet stuff Rob! Looks like all went well...now you can teach me..eh moon.gif

"If you're not living good, you gotta travel wide"...Bob Marley
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostThu Aug 16, 2007 11:26 am 
Slide Alder Slayer wrote:
Way to go! Any problems with condensation on the inside of you tent?
If you get some wind no problem. The first night it was calm and I had some cover from a slope, so I had some condensation. The rest of the nights I left the front access open a little more and had no condensation, but I had light winds, although when it was raining, I left the door unzipped further down and without using the vestibule the rain dripped off the front lip and into the front of the tent, so you are limited to being able to unzip the front about a quarter of the way down. I washed the tent with Techwash, then used a Nikwax spray on DWR for breathable fabric. But no leakage through the seams or walls. The guy I was with had the same tent and he used a tarp over his just in case. I was hesitant to use the tent up there in that type of exposure, I only took it because the initial NOAA weather forecast was for a high pressure ridge right off the coast, but it will take sustained 40 mph winds not guyed out and with this trip I found it to be waterproof after 24 hr. of rain (in this case). A light wind seems to be key in keeping condensation at bay.

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostThu Aug 16, 2007 11:30 am 
ActionBetty wrote:
My head hurts. Too much information this month. Practice, Practice, Practice. I will be doing crevasse rescue setups in the backyard, but sharing information / experience helps everybody. up.gif

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostSat Aug 18, 2007 8:24 am 
ActionBetty wrote:
I'm still holding out hope for Adams for this year, We may get up there yet, but would like to do Eldorado Peak first to keep the momentum going. The rest of the trips will be rock peaks, ridges, and lakes, with some fishing. All good stuff up.gif .

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot
PostSat Aug 18, 2007 10:08 am 
Nice job sticking out the weather so you can get the glacier practice and the summit.

“As beacons mountains burned at evening.” J.R.R. Tolkien
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostSat Aug 18, 2007 10:26 am 
Matt wrote:
Nice job sticking out the weather so you can get the glacier practice and the summit.
It looked real iffy at the time and the guide wanted to bail and do some rock climbing the next day around Washington Pass, which admittedly I could use much practice at. I didn't budge though and we used a compass to plan a route with bearings we could reverse if we ended up clouded in the next morning. We woke up to total blue skies, it was awesome. I found out among other things... 1. The BD firstlight can take over 24hr. of rain and not leak. 2. I can get by on one canister on my Jetboil for 4 days, 3 nights. 3. Schoeller pants rock full season. 4. The PUR Guide and 4L watertanker rocks, I wasn't running back and forth to the stream like everyone else. 5. The Glacier EVO's worked out sweet on all terrain. Three 6000' back to back trips, then Boston Basin helped break them in. 6. I need a partner for Eldorado. I saw that from across the basin / drainage. hockeygrin.gif