Forum Index > Trip Reports > "It looks like it goes..." -- 9 Days in the ALW - 8/4-8/12
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Mtn Dog
Technohiker

Mtn Dog
Technohiker
PostWed Aug 15, 2007 6:48 am 
Absolutely amazing, guys! Thanks for sharing pics. The view of Burntboot from that side of Iceberg was hard to recognize at first - incredible terrain. Any idea on mileage and elevation gain?

Footprints on the sands of time will never be made sitting down.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Aug 15, 2007 11:27 am 
BTW, I really like this shot. The shadows needed to be brought out a little so I took the liberty of making a few minor fixes in photoshop. wink.gif
Sunset sea of clouds
Sunset sea of clouds
Schmidt Altitude's "Sunset sea of clouds"
Schmidt Altitude's "Sunset sea of clouds"

kleet
meat tornado

kleet
meat tornado
PostWed Aug 15, 2007 11:44 am 
Will you please fix all my photos too? wub.gif

A fuxk, why do I not give one?
Yet

Yet
PostWed Aug 15, 2007 12:00 pm 
BRAVO! Wow, what an adventure. You guys sure know how to have fun! I think I like Jeremy with all that facial hair. And Tish, my dear...I can't help but notice your color coordination in quite a few of those shots. Just how much did your pack weigh, hmm? DHM, you are a-smilin in all of your pics! Loved viewing the pics, must have been quite a dilemma to cut the rest. Thank you for sharing!!! I think...I like you guys. Or something. wink.gif

strider

strider
PostWed Aug 15, 2007 8:00 pm 
Fabulous photos. Outstanding trip. Brings back memories of trips into the same area, altho I cannot hope to claim anything even remotely approaching doing all this in one trip! Even better than the obligatory boot shot ... popsicle toes!

strider I've never been lost, but I'm frequently uncertain where my destination might be in relation to where I am at the moment....
Randy
Cube Rat

Randy
Cube Rat
PostWed Aug 15, 2007 8:23 pm 
Whoa. Kick-ass!

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Aug 15, 2007 8:36 pm 
Outstanding, I had done parts of this onseperate trips but never all together. Lots O' Upsies an downsies. eek.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostWed Aug 15, 2007 10:09 pm 
I can hardly believe it. What an incredible trip. Nine days in the wild is about six more than I have ever done. Way to go!!
Quote:
Tisha with da Breast behind
confused.gif

Tazz

Tazz
PostWed Aug 15, 2007 10:32 pm 
Randy wrote:
Whoa. Kick-ass!
ditto.gif ditto.gif ditto.gif Thanks guys and gal. You rock!!

Slide Alder Slayer

Slide Alder Slayer
PostWed Aug 15, 2007 11:01 pm 
Outstanding!

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Aug 15, 2007 11:04 pm 
Dude you ripped off my opening quote huh.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
billiam
I kill mosquitos

billiam
I kill mosquitos
PostWed Aug 15, 2007 11:27 pm 
holy b'jesus, that is awesome! bad middle forking never looked so good. up.gif

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot
PostWed Aug 15, 2007 11:34 pm 
Great trip and photos. By your own count, how many different lakes or tarns did you visit?

“As beacons mountains burned at evening.” J.R.R. Tolkien
Schmidt Altitude
Whippet Entourage

Schmidt Altitude
Whippet Entourage
PostThu Aug 16, 2007 12:07 am 
Thanks everyone for all the positive comments - it was incredibly hard to cut photos for the TR. DHM - we know you have some killer photos too.... prod.gif! BPJ - We did swim and fish both!! hockeygrin.gif DHM and Jeremy did a bit more swimming than Tisha, though....she was a bit on the cold side the whole trip to take a polar dip. She did soak her feet - which was cold enough! Jeremy had some good luck fishing, too. He at least tried casting in every lake that looked fishable. It was reassuring to hear you were scared off by the steep snow to Lepul - we were both really regretted missing on dropping to that lake but figured it was better to be safe. Yukon - We did have an approximate idea of where we were heading each day (plus we all had covered a major portion of the terrain before, so we were familiar with a lot of the routes). On the portions that were new to us though, it was pretty much picking the best route on the map and whatever the terrain allowed us.....thus the title "I think this goes...." Truth be told, the whole trip just whetted our appetite for another adventure in this area.....can't get enough ALW!!! biggrin.gif We might just be planning our other big backpack of the year there instead of the Olympics...we'll see! up.gif Mtn Dog - Not exactly sure on the mileage - would have to study a map better to get a guess of the total. Tisha's altimeter registered 23,448 feet elevation gain for the trip. Tom - Thanks for allowing us to display so much of our trip!!!! up.gif up.gif up.gif We really liked what you did to the sea of clouds photo. Tisha was in way too much of a hurry to post the pics to spend any extra time photoshopping them....so thanks for improving that one!! agree.gif BTW.....we might have looked OK - but we sure didn't feel that way! waah.gif Yet - lol.gif lol.gif We know, we know....Tisha's clothes! Knew she'd get some comments on that! It was really not done on purpose! There must be a conspiracy on lime and purple for women's backpacking gear! Tisha really hated her pack color - but if was comfortable and waterproof so can't complain about that! up.gif Plus, her only softshells for the nasty weather were green and purple, too? What gives? Is there something wrong with blue???!!!! rolleyes.gif Magellan - it's Bears Breast Mountain.....duh! doh.gif What were you thinking?? clown.gif Matt - Tisha counted approximately 71 lakes and tarns total.

"Forest 101: These big wood stick things are called trees. The big rocks are called mountains, and the little rocks are their babies." Elliott from Open Season
Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostThu Aug 16, 2007 3:35 am 
There we go...check the first post for a few pics from me. wink.gif

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short