Forum Index > Trip Reports > Stirrup Lake 8/12
Previous :: Next Topic  
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark

Niece of Alvy Moore
PostMon Aug 20, 2007 9:28 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
More Cowbell has  been a gimp lately, so we chose an easy day.  Neither of us had been to Stampede Pass before, and I've always been curious.

Beautiful drive; it's neat to see the colorful fall flowers and leaves in the clearcut areas.  Very pretty area.

We took the long way to Stirrup Lake, scared off by a "Road Washouts Ahead" sign on the more straightforward route.  On the way back, we took that road on the advice of a fellow hiker we met on the trail, and it's not a problem at all.  However, I admit the long way had some thrills - steep stretches, airy, and fun to drive.  Lots of character.

Anyway, the trail is extremely brushy - more blueberries than we've ever seen before!  Wow!  Most aren't very sweet, though.  Maybe another week will do it.  The brush was drenched, and being the morons that we are, neither of us had 1) rainpants or 2) gaiters.  It's not like the rain took us by surprise or anything; it was raining pigs & chickens when we left my house in Seattle.  I mean to say we are morons. doh.gif

The trail starts in a clearcut, the runs through some impressive stands of old growth trees, then bursts out into more clearcut at the PCT.  The brush here is immense - colorfully delightful to the eyes, though.  Some of the huckleberry bushes were tall above our heads.

We were soaked, soaked, soaked!  Rain from above, rain on the brush.  Our feet all had their own little private pools - our boots.  I've been wet before, but this was ridiculous.

Afterwards, we wandered to the little Asahel Curtis Nature trail at the Lake Annette Trailhead.  WTA has done a lot of work on this little gem, and it is a wonderful little place to stop & stretch the legs;  various trees and features are numbered, and there's a laminated guide at the kiosk you can take with you, then put back when you're finished.

Fireweed, canada goldenrod, lizard lake, spruce
Fireweed, canada goldenrod, lizard lake, spruce
Sporey stuff4
Sporey stuff4
blue yellow green grass
blue yellow green grass
blue yellow green grass2
blue yellow green grass2
stuff and tree root
stuff and tree root
Lake
Lake
orange shelf fungus1
orange shelf fungus1
orange shelf fungus2
orange shelf fungus2
Stirrup Lake with More Cowbell
Stirrup Lake with More Cowbell
A hiker on Stirrup Lake trail
A hiker on Stirrup Lake trail

--------------
"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate."

Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
More Cowbell

More Cowbell

PostMon Aug 20, 2007 10:02 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
Those pics turned out great.  My boots are still drying out though.  We also found many giant boletes which would have been good to eat if they weren't full of worms.

Stirrup lake can be almost driven to from the other side but I get the impression that it's a solitary place.  We chatted with a ranger dude at Snowcrummy Pass and I asked about the brush (as previous WTA reports and mentioned its abundance) and he said it was fine.  confused.gif I would recommend this lake as a good overnight for the kids (if it has not been raining).  Nice camp, huckleberries to survive on for months and fish in the lake.  This trail intersects the PCT in an out of the way spot and was much more scenic that I would have thought (being clearcut country and all).

We also tried to find "Roaring Falls" as described in a 50 year old trips and trails but the closer we got to the actual spot, the more the posted signs warned us of an impending and painful death should we trespass.

--------------
“If you want to forget all your other troubles, wear too tight shoes.” - Unknown
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
  Display:     All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Forum Index > Trip Reports > Stirrup Lake 8/12
  Happy Birthday DGage, markweth!
Jump to:   
Search this topic: