Forum Index > Trip Reports > There's a reason it's called Forbidden
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
gyngve

gyngve
PostFri Sep 14, 2007 11:34 am 
Last week at the start of the forecasted good weather, AaronZ and I went up to do the North Ridge of Forbidden. Each of us had independently climbed the East and West Ridges and wanted something more remote. As usual, the drive in caused us to gape at Johannesberg. I had the double pleasure of ogling the peak while hearing Aaron's tales of the NE Buttress from the previous week.
The hike in was pretty straightforward, aside from me losing the trail in the blowdowns. Beta is to contour left, and if you're not on an obvious path, backtrack. Stream crossings were mellow, and we made good time to the basin and the slabs above. Up next lay Sharkfin Col. Being late in the season, the gully was crapilicious. Note that we used the next notch to the right... go behind a tower and to the left of a gray badge. This notch let us get away with just a 30m rappel plus some easy downclimbing.
At the col, we had an amazing view of the expansive Boston Glacier and the remote headwaters of Thunder Creek. We were at a turning point: once we rappelled and pulled the ropes, the two easiest ways back out could have been our intended route or around Boston to Sahale.
The moat wasn't so bad, and the glacier, while circuitous, did not pose any major obstacles.
We had to go low on the ridge to find an access point that wasn't too moated, and after some more steep loose dirt, we found some nice bivy sites on the ridge.
We enjoyed the sunset and refueled. Overnight the temperatures got colder than we expected -- we had ice crystals in our water bottles in the morning -- another sign that the days of summer are coming to an end.
The clouds from above had mostly filled the valleys, creating a patchwork carpet of clouds, but that was only the start of the weather phenomena we would encounter. The first part of the ridge was mostly walking and fun scrambling, aside from an ugly dirt couloir down from our bivy site to the next part of the ridge. Aaron's simul block took us past the first set of towers, finishing on a chimney with big holds; he did a good job of avoiding the loose flakes inside. My simul block was mostly a walk in the park before I encountered a deep gully and a short but steep headwall opposite from me.
With overnight packs, boots, and no pro, the climbing felt challenging enough to warrant a belay. Aaron remarked that our location matched the description of where Brian Miller broke both his legs. http://www.seattleweekly.com/2005-02-02/news/down-from-the-mountain.php The rest of my block continued up a left rib of the ridge until the whole ridge flattened out. The climbing was not hard, though there was a fair amount of loose. Aaron then took over, and the climbing became classic ridge. Solid and exposed. The ambience with the moody clouds was incredible.
Soon we arrived at the fabled snow arete. Aaron and I had each seen this feature previously from the summit and had wanted to come back for it. As we donned our crampons, dark clouds swirled on the east side of the ridge, while leaving the west side bare.
The classic ridge climbing continued, with a minor foray to climber's right. We were in an alpine playground.
Finally at the summit, we looked to the south and saw only a wall of gray. We quickly began the five rappels to reach the east ledges.
And then it hit. What better place to be for a graupel onslaught than on rubbly downsloping ledges a thousand feet above the glacier. We took our time, but exposure aside, the descent on the wet slabs on the south side was perhaps more treacherous.
As we painstakingly picked our way out, we encountered a trail of abandoned gear. First a water bottle. Then a pair of crampons. Clearly someone getting the hell outta dodge. But the weather slowly began to clear.
By the time we reached flat ground again, we were back in blue skies. The weather forecasters in Seattle were completely oblivious to our adventure, reporting that there's an anomaly over NCNP that is likely just virga, and sticking with their mostly sunny forecast. Our trip was much more memorable than it would have been had it been the bluebird day we anticipated. We felt grateful for being able to watch nature's show without being charged admission.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
peltoms

peltoms
PostFri Sep 14, 2007 12:15 pm 
Awesome report. I cannot believe the pics of Quien Sabe at the end are just shortly after the graupel attack. I had never seen the route up to Sharksfin Col totally devoid of snow. It looks like that is lucky for me, snow looks easier. The perspective from there on Boston Glacier makes you biggrin.gif

North Cascade Glacier Climate Project: http://www.nichols.edu/departments/glacier/
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostFri Sep 14, 2007 2:02 pm 
up.gif up.gif nice TR / pics. When I was up in Boston Basin there were a group of college kids from Alabama majoring in "Outdoor Recreation" and there lab assignment was to climb in the North Cascades for 9 days. They had done Eldorado, Forbidden, Sahale, Boston, Liberty Bell etc..., not a bad assignment. agree.gif

Living in the Anthropocene
Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot
PostFri Sep 14, 2007 2:37 pm 
Terrific climb and trip report. Fascinating overview of the route and the changing weather.

“As beacons mountains burned at evening.” J.R.R. Tolkien
Randy
Cube Rat

Randy
Cube Rat
PostFri Sep 14, 2007 4:07 pm 
Right on Gary. up.gif

Tazz

Tazz
PostFri Sep 14, 2007 4:20 pm 
SWEET SWEET SWEET! rockband.gif Good stuff Gary!

cartman

cartman
PostFri Sep 14, 2007 6:03 pm 
Terrific pics, great job!

ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!

ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!
PostFri Sep 14, 2007 6:33 pm 
Scary, beautiful, and muy impressive ! Thanks for sharing up.gif biggrin.gif

"If you're not living good, you gotta travel wide"...Bob Marley
Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostSat Sep 15, 2007 12:39 am 
Wow! Nice work, Gary... Great pics as well. up.gif up.gif

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostSat Sep 15, 2007 11:27 pm 
Great pictures, Gary. Thanks for including the tale this time.

pimaCanyon

pimaCanyon
PostSun Sep 16, 2007 5:26 pm 
Amazing photos! And what a great story to go with them!

It's never too late to have a happy childhood
Mark Griffith
(Embrace yourself)

Mark Griffith
(Embrace yourself)
PostMon Sep 17, 2007 1:17 pm 
Fantastic report. The pics are awesome.

Layback
Cascades Expatriate

Layback
Cascades Expatriate
PostMon Sep 24, 2007 6:24 pm 
I just stumbled onto this at CC.com. Somehow it eluded me here. Looks like a great trip G. I particularly like this photo:

SlowWalker
Perma-grinner

SlowWalker
Perma-grinner
PostMon Sep 24, 2007 8:02 pm 
Outstanding! Truely an example of local mountaineering at its best. cheers.gif Cheers to you and AaronZ!

Nisquaww
Hot balls

Nisquaww
Hot balls
PostMon Sep 24, 2007 8:26 pm 
D to the ank! Sick bivy! up.gif

"Why do you have a beard?" "I don't have a beard. It's just the light; it plays funny tricks." ~ Shel Silverstein