Forum Index > Trip Reports > Mt St Helens and Adams
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Linda Jagger

Linda Jagger
PostTue Aug 21, 2007 10:56 pm 
smile.gif Hello all, we are in Denver and coming out 8/30 to do Mt Adams via the easiest, S Side reoute, and St Helens from climbers bivouac. Has anybody been up recently and can give me info re trail conditons, esp for Mt Adams. I assume we will need ice ax and crampons. How icy is it?? Is there a chute to slide down from Pikers peak?? We plan to do the traditional approach, day one hike up and camp at the lunch counter, and next day go to the summit and return to camp and hike out, spending just 1 nite on the mt. I've done both peaks before when i lived there between 2000-03. Any new activity on St Helens??? Is there any need for "facemask" or bandana to help w/breathing, due to ash in the air???

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
crwdog

crwdog
PostWed Aug 22, 2007 8:39 am 
I can't give you recent beta for Adams, but St. Helens is just fine. It's a walk up, bring lots of water. No facemask or anything required. Gaiters help tons to keep the junk out of your shoes. Start early to avoid the heat. You have a permit, right?

Don

Don
PostWed Aug 22, 2007 11:47 am 
Besides permits being needed (as mentioned), understand you can only access Adams from the south due to road washout just south of the 23 & 90 merge. More info here Don

Keeperguy2

Keeperguy2
PostThu Aug 23, 2007 3:45 pm 
Ranger Report
My friend and I are looking to climb Adams on Saturday morning. The Trout Lake Ranger Station told me that there was little snow above the lunch counter and that some glissading chutes were starting to see rocks. I figure they are being overly conservative. Does anybody have any better information on the snow conditions? I'd like to know if there are long stretches that we can glissade down or if its going to be mainly a walk down. Just curious. Thanks...

Linda Jagger

Linda Jagger
PostThu Aug 23, 2007 10:37 pm 
equipment for Adams
smile.gif Howdy, Keeperguy2 if you go up this weekend, please give me a report. Im particularly curious if we can camp on dirt or snow at the lunch counter. Is there water there, or do we need to melt snow. Is there any snow on the trail before the lunch counter? Do people use plastic boots or regular boots. Of course we will have crampons and ice ax. Do people bring helmets--Im thinking its not necessary, i dont remember having one before.

crwdog

crwdog
PostFri Aug 24, 2007 6:21 am 
Linda I can give you a little beta with regards to the south side route. There will definitely be dirt to camp on at lunch counter this time of year. There are plenty of windbreaks already set up for you to stash your tent. There is no water there, so be ready to melt snow. The trail to lunch counter is almost always open by this time, but there is usually a small snow crossing below it that you should be able to boot up. Plastic boots are your choice - whatever you are comfortable climbing in. You probably won't be on crampons until the climb up Piker's peak from lunch counter. As for helmets, there usually isn't much rockfall on the south side but there may be a tiny bit at the top of the false summit - not sure. I wouldn't think it's necessary but at the risk of being flamed make your own choice.