Forum Index > Trail Talk > Queets/ Tshletshy Creek
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Man-inna-hillz

Man-inna-hillz
PostMon Aug 20, 2007 11:07 am 
Has anyone recently hiked the Queets River valley trail? From Googling around, it seems there was a washout somewhere on the access road and the old campsites and trailhead have been abandoned. How much distance would this add to the approach (do you have to walk roadway to get to the old trailhead)? Also- Robert Wood, in his 1984 Olymp[ic Mountain Guide, talks about the glories of the old Tshletshy Creek trail, which climbs up an Ancient forest draw, eventually attaining the 3 Lakes ridgeline above the North Fork Quinault. Sounds like it would be full Viet Nam, but we're intrigued. Has anyone ever attempted to find the old trail and follow it up the ridgeline? I did a search on Tshletshy and found some reference to the trail on the "Abndoned Trails" thread. Anyone done this one, or know anything about current conditions up there?

The God of language forgives all crimes. -W.H. Auden
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostMon Aug 20, 2007 11:17 am 
A re-route for cars is in the works, using some FS roads and DNR roads, but it is not open yet. Someone posted a TR not that long ago where they drove in the new route as far as they could, did some road walking and brush-bashing, and ended up at the old Queets trailhead, much shorter than going in the washed-out road. Here's that TR, from this January.

Phil

Phil
PostMon Aug 20, 2007 11:32 am 
You probably saw this crazy story but I'll post the link anyway: http://www.americanwhitewater.org/content/River_detail_id_3148_ and there is this cryptic trail report: http://www.wta.org/~wta/cgi-bin/wtaweb.pl?ad+7+reports+dosearch plus this old thread: https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10583&highlight=Tshletshy I bet that you chose a good descriptor with "vietnam".

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostMon Aug 20, 2007 11:50 am 
The middle link doesn't work.

Gordy

Gordy
PostMon Aug 20, 2007 12:03 pm 
My favorite place. Good luck, not for the casual hiker. The road is washed out, just above Matheny Creek. Some people climb through the forest around it and continue on the road. I've been going in by way of FR21. When you find the old bridge parts and gravel pit, stop driving. Walk through logging roads until you find the National Park boundary sign. It is a maze of roads. Down 1/2 mile to the Queets road, hang a right and 3 more miles to the abandoned campground. We tried and tried and tried to cross here at 1600CFPS and could not. Probably get over at half that. I won't give it all away but look at maps for another way to brushwack in. It will be very tough. The trail has nearly disappeared. Lots of brush, downed trees, really big trees, washouts. Lots of big animals. Plenty of varieties of berries. Huge grassy fields covered with giant maples.

goats gone wild
Mr. Goat

goats gone wild
Mr. Goat
PostMon Aug 20, 2007 10:18 pm 
queets trail
Latest report I've heard (two days ago) is that the reroute on DNR roads has trees across and is currently closed to vehicles. From the wash out (near Matheny Creek), I believe it is approximately a 6 mile hike to the trailhead. As to the Tshletshy Creek trail: A friend of mine tried following the route a number of years ago. He reported a fine mess of downed trees and brush and nearly impossible to follow the old trail. After much effort, he gave up and took to the ridge proper and connected near Skyline. As for abandoned trails in general, I thought the Mount Olson trail was worthwhile. A planned hike of Six Ridge was interrupted by curiosity about Lake Success--and we ended up visiting Lake Success, a short trip to summit Mount Olson (easy scramble) and then followed parts of the old trail here and there until we reached E. Fork Quinault. We found following Wood's direction of due north to be good advice. This is my first post to this site. Strangely, I have found reading trail reports much more enjoyable than the computer work I am supposed to be doing. Hope it is helpful.

.....leaving me wanting to return over and over in what ever capacity that may be, even if one day my knees are too old and I can only see the mountains from my porch. Jason Hummel
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostMon Aug 20, 2007 10:23 pm 
Welcome to the site goats gone wild. Thanks for posting.

Yet

Yet
PostMon Aug 20, 2007 10:42 pm 
Man-inna-hillz, I've no answers for you. Just wanted to wish you a Happy Birthday! smile.gif

Phil

Phil
PostTue Aug 21, 2007 8:29 am 
Slugman wrote:
The middle link doesn't work.
Whoops. wta.org trip reports search "Tshletshy"

xan

xan
PostThu Aug 23, 2007 3:51 pm 
HJT wrote:
I would safely guess that one would be hiking lessthan 1 mile an hour on the Tshletshy Creek trail due to lots and lots of bushwacking and 100's maybe even 1000's of trees to climb over, under and around.
Thanks to Woods' increasingly stale book, the idea that there's some sort of useful trail up Tshletshy just doesn't want to die, and seems impervious to direct first-hand statements to the contrary. But here goes: If you walk the full length of the valley you will probably come across a few orange metal trail markers, and there is even the odd short recognizable stretch of old tread kept open by elk. But Tshletshy is a cross-country route, overwhelmingly, and you will be certainly unhappy, and perhaps lost and disoriented, if you are not prepared for that, or if you are planning to rely on the trail for orientation or route. Even in those very occasional stretches where you can discern a trail it is often *not* the logical or easiest route, and you would just be wasting time and energy looking for it.

GoBlueHiker
island hopper

GoBlueHiker
island hopper
PostThu Aug 23, 2007 7:42 pm 
Regardless of what you think of xan's opinion of Woods' book, he's right about Tshletshy Creek. I haven't been there for a little while now, but unless they rebuilt it recently (which they haven't), there's no trail up that valley. One can vaguely trace a route for perhaps the first mile in the bottom lands from Sam's Crossing, but after that you'll be searching for ghosts trying to find a trail in there. Anyone hoping to trace a trail with a bunch of trees & brush over it (thinking of the typical definition of an "old overgrown trail") will be sorely surprised at the complete lack thereof. Any book describing the "Tshletshy Creek Trail" is in need of a serious update, regardless of the quality of the rest of its reports. Anyhoo, just my opinion, FWIW, - Mike

Man-inna-hillz

Man-inna-hillz
PostThu Aug 23, 2007 7:49 pm 
I am resigned to the fact that the Tshletchy will have no trail to speak of. And I appreciate how hard it can be thrashing through alder and salmonberry. Seriously, though, if we were to try it with backpacks on, how long seems reasonable to attain the skyline if we are reasonably good routefinders?

The God of language forgives all crimes. -W.H. Auden
goats gone wild
Mr. Goat

goats gone wild
Mr. Goat
PostThu Aug 23, 2007 8:05 pm 
That's a good question. I'll ask somebody I know who has done (a moderate hiker) and let you know what he says. How soon do you need to know?

.....leaving me wanting to return over and over in what ever capacity that may be, even if one day my knees are too old and I can only see the mountains from my porch. Jason Hummel
goats gone wild
Mr. Goat

goats gone wild
Mr. Goat
PostThu Aug 23, 2007 8:15 pm 
Oh, I thought you were just asking about the bushwhacking part.

xan

xan
PostThu Aug 23, 2007 9:09 pm 
HJT wrote:
xan wrote:
Thanks to Woods' increasingly stale book...
It ain't stale in my book. I still use the book for my Olympic trip planning. What? Do you prefer these new fangled day hike only hiking guides that don't cover the longer hikes that get you into the interior of the Olympics? Wimpy excuse, if you ask me, calling Wood's book stale.
Woods is a good book, and I much prefer it to the modern "hikes for dogs" variety. Unlike the authors of those newer books, Woods knew the terrain intimately, wasn't really jus grinding stuff out to make a living, and was able to convey a sense of landscape rather than just some trail descriptions. But the book is for sure stale. If that's too pejorative for you, you can say "badly in need of revision". Those parts of the trail network that haven't changed appreciably in the last twenty-five years, he's pretty accurate on. But many things have in fact changed, and the book doesn't reflect them. Vanished trails in the Queets basin (Kloochman Rock, Tshletshy) are a good example of this need for revision. I would say the same of the Beckey guides, too, although I also esteem them.