Forum Index > Trail Talk > snow-out for 2017?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Desertsp

Desertsp
PostSun Oct 30, 2016 9:22 am 
Anyone have any predictions for when snow will be melted out in Glacier Peaks for NEXT year? I'm planning a possible trip and one person, if they go, will need to request time off work soon. We would be in the eastern part of the wilderness around Buck Creek Pass. Would the end of August be a safe bet for the trails being snow free? How about wildflowers? Thanks for any opinions!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Brockton

Brockton
PostSun Oct 30, 2016 9:29 am 
A friend of mine flies out here just about every year for our backpacking trips and it's always about the third week in August. We've never had any problems with snow then. If you're staying on trail, I would say end of August is as safe as it gets snow-wise. You'll probably be past peak flowers by then but you should still have some in August.

Desertsp

Desertsp
PostMon Oct 31, 2016 8:35 am 
Thanks Brockton. That's what we're planning on. Only thing I was concerned about are reports that there will be more snowfall than usual this winter. Not sure if that prediction carries much weight though...

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon Oct 31, 2016 9:27 am 
The Lyman Lake remote sensing station (SNOTEL) is pretty good measure of the snow on the ground in that region of the Cascade Mountains http://wcc.sc.egov.usda.gov/reportGenerator/view/customChartReport/daily/606:WA:SNTL%7cid=%22%22%7cname/CurrentWY,CurrentWYEnd/WTEQ::value,WTEQ::median_1981,PREC::value,PREC::average_1981?fitToScreen=false The median melt out at Lyman Lake is July 1st, but you may check the above link in the spring to gauge how quickly the snow pack it melting out.

Desertsp

Desertsp
PostMon Oct 31, 2016 12:11 pm 
Awesome link, thanks! Going through individual years, the latest melt out was August 3rd, 2011. Only a few other years were even close.