Forum Index > Trip Reports > Confessions of a Shameless Peakbagger (aka Chelan Summit Tr)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
dicey
custom title

dicey
custom title
PostTue Aug 21, 2007 12:44 pm 
Yet wrote:
Yana, I think I love your Dad.
I'm telling Mark! tongue.gif

I'm not always sure I like being older but being less stupid has advantages. http://www.flickr.com/photos/32121172@N00/sets/
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!

ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!
PostTue Aug 21, 2007 12:57 pm 
shameless! Great TR and what an adventure for DAD..lucky gal to have such a willing father to accompany you on this long trip up.gif

"If you're not living good, you gotta travel wide"...Bob Marley
Roald

Roald
PostTue Aug 21, 2007 1:38 pm 
Wow, what a great report and pictures! The self-flagellation for abandoning your dad to bag peaks is pretty funny, too. Congratulations to both of you on an amazing trip.

ree

ree
PostTue Aug 21, 2007 2:26 pm 
Wow! Great trip Yana. Your dad is adorable! Too bad the Copper Ridge thingy didn't work out, but drier is better in my book. Great alternate choice. Very nice.

dacker
little black dots

dacker
little black dots
PostTue Aug 21, 2007 2:37 pm 
Ah, so that's where you were all that time. biggrin.gif Fantastic trip and report. Makes me tired just reading it. Kudos to your dad! up.gif

We don't stop hiking because we grow old; we grow old because we stop hiking. --Finis Mitchell
Yana
Hater

Yana
Hater
PostTue Aug 21, 2007 2:38 pm 
Thank you all for the comments. It's hard to adequately narrate an 8 day trip, so I'm glad the highlights ended up being entertaining.
Matt wrote:
Wow, that's an impressively thorough traverse of the Chelan Sawtooths. I've haven't seen a report from anyone doing it from the Lake Chelan side before.
I like this approach. Past the initial few miles, it is pretty lonely (and does not necessitate a car shuttle, which is nice).
Matt wrote:
Looking at the pics, I see where you inherited your bright smile. Your dad has the same smile.
biggrin.gif
Shacknasty Jim wrote:
...I'm blown away by the concept of a daughter spending 8 days alone with her father.
Not only that, but I enjoyed it, too... :-) pacyew - sorry about your oatmeal! GeoTom - I would say more like a 2.4a ;-) dicey - Hello, pot, this is the kettle speaking. tongue.gif cartman - I don't know about understanding, but he clearly loves me enough to let me get away with it.
Yet wrote:
Yana, I think I love your Dad.
I'm not sure what to make of this, but it's pretty damn funny. P.S. He peruses nwhikers on a regular basis. ActionBetty - I'm very lucky in that regard. I wouldn't love the mountains the way I do had he not introduced me to them in the first place. My first mountain outings were as a baby, when he would haul me around in a backpack. Apparently, I really enjoyed napping in it.

PLAY SAFE! SKI ONLY IN CLOCKWISE DIRECTION! LET'S ALL HAVE FUN TOGETHER!
wamtngal

wamtngal
PostTue Aug 21, 2007 7:19 pm 
Nice job getting your Dad to scramble up all of those peaks with you!...I'm still working on my dad. He almost went to the top of Earl with me earlier this year, almost. wink.gif

Opinions expressed here are my own.
cascadianwarrior
Fear the Yeti

cascadianwarrior
Fear the Yeti
PostTue Aug 21, 2007 11:02 pm 
I can only hope that someday my daughter asks me to go on a 73 mile hike through the hills!

-Trust Mervin Manufacturing-
lookout bob
WTA proponent.....

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....
PostWed Aug 22, 2007 6:58 am 
Yana...beautiful report...great pics....made me so long to go back to the Chelan Summit. Alas....Kelly Butte fills my time....but again...thanks for the memories....( ain't that a Frank Sinatra tune???) dizzy.gif

"Altitude is its own reward" John Jerome ( from "On Mountains")
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostWed Aug 22, 2007 9:10 am 
Very nice, that is a bomber area up.gif . That Dad photo looks like he is climbing rather horizontally, maybe pulling himself along the trail. winksmile.gif

Living in the Anthropocene
Flora
Enjoying the Sun!

Flora
Enjoying the Sun!
PostWed Aug 22, 2007 1:57 pm 
Yana - Great report! I love this area. Big, spacious mountains, pretty lakes, views and usually drier weather. Thanks for giving an update on the fire damaged trails. Flora

Flora
AttemPT

AttemPT
PostWed Aug 22, 2007 8:03 pm 
Thanks for the great TR. Inspired me to head up Star Pk this weekend.

Sabahsboy

Sabahsboy
PostWed Aug 22, 2007 8:19 pm 
Traverse from Prince Creek to Stehekin
Did it twice in early 1980's. Comments were submitted together with my field sketches to support wilderness designation. It was a big assist according to Mike Lowry, who was at Congress at the time and sent a congradulatory letter. There was little conflict since most of the focus of the Wilderness Act was on other WA areas up for designation. Sort of flew "under the radar". It IS a fab area! Love your photos of the high peaks...was fun to do similar "peak bagging" back 20 years plus ago. Had a "freeze-out" at Juanita Lake area...temps fell from 70's to 20's or colder and froze the stream one early August night. I "caught" a bad case of shivers and gave up idea of food and just snuggled to get warm after a long day of hiking shirtless over the high country. Funny...I'd not dare do the shirtless thing, now....LOL!

Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostWed Aug 22, 2007 9:40 pm 
Wow, what a great TR Yana. You are really blessed to get out with your dad like this. wub.gif Father - Daughter trips wub.gif

Yana's Dad

Yana's Dad
PostWed Aug 22, 2007 10:04 pm 
wildernessed wrote:
That Dad photo looks like he is climbing rather horizontally, maybe pulling himself along the trail. winksmile.gif
Basically, your guess is right up.gif . Yana’s intent – as long as this particular photo is concerned – was to make a photo joke. If I am not wrong, she took this picture while we were going up Mt Bigelow. Our ascent was certainly far from being vertical (it was also far from being flat and there was no trail). This is the only joke in the whole report… Otherwise, we joked a lot during our trip, and we had great time (although I am sure many of you would not like to hear some of *my* jokes naughty.gif nono.gif ). Yana is lucky to live in the Seattle area because of all the mountains, and she is even luckier to be in a company of people like you, guys. I am happy for her… and I am a bit envious because I do not think a forum like this exists in where I live in Southern California (please, let me know if I am wrong).