Forum Index > Trip Reports > Neahkahnie Mountain (Oregon Coast Trail)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
JVesquire

JVesquire
PostThu Aug 23, 2007 3:48 pm 
I went on a family vacation down to the Oregon Coast last weekend, enjoying the sights and sounds of Manzanita and the Tillamook cheese factory. My family groans at the thought of outdoor exertion, so I took off for a short day hike to a portion of the Oregon Coast Trail. Just along Hwy 101, in Oswald State Park is Neahkahnie Mountain, which is reputed to be the highest point of land on the coast between B.C. and San Francisco. I haven't checked that fact. The mountain is approximately 1700 ft. and is a walk-up. When I reached the summit area, I failed to notice that there is a short path that wraps around the summit for a leisurely ascent, and took the "direct route" up rock and grass. The hike is nice, about 2.5 miles to the summit, through dark, green forest, with small glimpses of the ocean until you reach the summit ridge, where you get great vistas down south of the coast line, and inland toward some minor mountain ranges.
Up, up, up the mountain
Up, up, up the mountain
Some cape
Some cape
P8190096
P8190096
Stump forest
Stump forest
Sluggy
Sluggy
Summit scramble?
Summit scramble?
Manzanita from the summit
Manzanita from the summit
USGS Benchmark
USGS Benchmark
Inland range
Inland range

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Meander
J Prettymountain

Meander
J Prettymountain
PostThu Aug 23, 2007 5:11 pm 
I was in the area in July, and took all seven of my neices and nephews and their parents up that mountain. It's a great hike! I did go up on the side trail to the summit, which was a bit rocky scrambly, but I can't believe you went up that steep grassy area! My sister wouldn't even stand there on the trail in that section because the dropoff bothered her so much. The view were great though. Did you go to Lake Oswald State Park (I think I am getting the name right ?) right down the street (as a matter of fact, if you follow this trail, it leads eventually across the highway to it). That is a fantastic place to go ~ hiking in the woods and on the beach. I highly recommend that park if you're in the area. It is great for kids too.

GeoTom

GeoTom
PostThu Aug 23, 2007 7:16 pm 
Great timing. I have to be in Cannon Beach next week for work and was thinking of this exact hike! Thank you!

Knows literally nothing
JVesquire

JVesquire
PostFri Aug 24, 2007 8:33 am 
I did go to the state park. There's a surfer's beach that is pretty popular, just down from the campsites. That's a nice hike, through some dark, green forest, as well. Much different than what we get out here in E. Washington!