Forum Index > Trip Reports > Walupt Rain-Out (Heroes, wimps & walking wounded)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Dave Workman

Dave Workman
PostMon Aug 20, 2007 6:57 am 
A good time was had by all ...AB and her kid, GH and me. Well, AB, her kid and GH. It's not a good idea to push one's self 2 weeks after surgery, it turns out. shakehead.gif Those who bailed -- and according to what I read elsewhere and what AB explained, there were a few -- missed the opportunity to bail water. It started raining late Saturday, about the time AB pulled in with her quads and brand new Toyota Tacoma (what a great looking ride!) and never let up all night. My pickup bed was like a small swimming pool. Saturday, I hiked way back in behind Walupt heading for the PCT, but it clobbered me, as G.H. will attest. That surgery...hoo boy, someday I'll learn from this not to push my luck. G.H. hiked up Nannie (he told me, and I believe he has photos to prove it) and he was good company around the campfire and Redneck Barbecue. Action Betty brought ample cheer to a dreary evening, though. If I'd still had stitches, she'd have busted them! hockeygrin.gif rotf.gif ykm.gif And on top of that, she broils a hell of a steak. Loads of laughter. Conked and walking wounded, I turned in early (if 11 p.m. is early) and when the alarm woke me up at about 4 a.m., they were still up and chatting and laughing. And somewhere during the evening, my pint of McNaughton's seemed to have taken a walk.. hmmm.gif hmmm.gif But AB and GH will wear honors as the ones who made it. And for the skittish: Not a shot was fired.
A.B. Fixing din-din
A.B. Fixing din-din
GH and AB around the campfire
GH and AB around the campfire
Dave had room and...adjoining 'bathroom'
Dave had room and...adjoining 'bathroom'
The Redneck Barbecue
The Redneck Barbecue
Lakeview Mountain
Lakeview Mountain
Entrance Walput Lake CG
Entrance Walput Lake CG
Ridge overlooking Walupt L.
Ridge overlooking Walupt L.
On the trail behind Walupt.
On the trail behind Walupt.
Base Camp
Base Camp

"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted." - D.H. Lawrence
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostMon Aug 20, 2007 7:01 am 
That is too bad that the rain was such a spoiler. Don't let it keep you from promoting this bash again next year. I mean, what are the odds of it happening again? paranoid.gif

Yet

Yet
PostMon Aug 20, 2007 7:38 am 
DW, I hope you rest up so you can fully recover from your surgery. Glad to hear you guys had fun. ActionBetty is always such a sweet addition to any gathering. Everywhere she goes, she brings sunshine with her - even in a downpour. wink.gif

ree

ree
PostMon Aug 20, 2007 7:45 am 
I was just going to say that, Yet. Yes, AB is the life of any party.
Lookin' good, sister! Thanks for the pic of the bbq Dave.

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostMon Aug 20, 2007 7:48 am 
Dave, I just found out about this social yesterday when More Cowbell mentioned it. Now I see it was advertised in the "Partners" forum, which I don't usually check. Next time title it as a social & put it in Thread Length! Ida probably joined, at least on Saturday!

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Dave Workman

Dave Workman
PostMon Aug 20, 2007 10:32 am 
Magellan wrote:
That is too bad that the rain was such a spoiler. Don't let it keep you from promoting this bash again next year. I mean, what are the odds of it happening again? paranoid.gif
Well, this bash may be somewhere else next year, all the gods willin' and the creek don't rise. As for the odds of this happening again...I hope you're talking both about the weather and the surgery! paranoid.gif eek.gif

"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted." - D.H. Lawrence
Eric
Peak Geek

Eric
Peak Geek
PostMon Aug 20, 2007 10:43 am 
Next time perhaps you could pick a summit instead. I'm not a a-feared of your gun totin ways but a lake baggin' itinerary just will not do. wink.gif

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon Aug 20, 2007 5:50 pm 
Hmmmm, I almost drove up, but couldn't decide what to take. The kayak? In which case my 13 year old puppy would be in camp (leashed?). The pickup? In which case no kayak could go, racks are on the car. Feet feeling a little owie from jumping off logs last week. Too many decisions so I went woodcutting, almost went back to the super secret berry patch in which I got a gallon of the beasties while scouting it on Thursday. Friends would not go to super secret patch due to the rain. Only other person who would go, I did not want to reveal patch location to. I don't think they would consent to a blindfold.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Dave Workman

Dave Workman
PostMon Aug 20, 2007 6:10 pm 
ree, lemme tell ya something. You have a remarkable friend in that there Action Betty. Treasure that. Such a friend is very special, and very rare. up.gif up.gif up.gif up.gif up.gif And do get her to broil you a steak sometime. To die for, provided heaven is on the Cispus.

ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!

ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!
PostMon Aug 20, 2007 8:19 pm 
Im back and alive..whoo hoo! I had fun, despite the rain. It stayed darned dry under the elaborate tarp house Geohiker had rigged up up.gif I kept thinking back to 13 people standing under a small tarp on Mt. St. Helens ..ahh memories lol.gif moon.gif . Dave, your a character and it was a pleasure to meet you biggrin.gif Sorry we couldnt keep our eyes open long enough to help you pack up in the morning...the McNaughtons hit the spot..oops, I mean the damned kangaroo mouse stole it. souse.gif The next day we awoke and got moving around 11 am. Geohiker and I piddled around camp and discussed what each others plans were to be and when we were to be arriving back at camp. I took off at 3 pm to go on , what was supposed to be an easy 23 mile ATV mountain route. I just want to award ActionEthan Trail riding warriar award of the year. Bless his heart, some of this trail was just downright scary and washed out in some places.. big roots and rocks, steep terrain, tight squeezes, the fog rolled in, visibility low.. 4.5 hour ride it was with only a few 3-4 minute breaks. He rolled his quad once, a tree caught it.. blessed be he jumped off in time and we werent on too steep of terrain at the time. Once we got to the scary part..we were committed to keep going...or turn around and go back the 14 miles we had already came...no way! About 6 miles from the trail head, I rolled my bike..thought I snapped my femur bone..my leg landed on a rock ledge with the weight (367 lbs) and handlebar came smashing down on the other side of the leg.. the pain was pretty darned immense...I turned off the bike and calmed Ethan down as he started to panic. He helped me get my leg out from under the bike. I did a quick check for blood ..stood waiting for my leg bone to snap.. nope..just mass muscle contusion on my quadracep which made it pretty useless ..I think I might have broken my wrist..its a little unmovable and hurting pretty bad right now.. oh well...bumps and bruises come with the territory doh.gif Rolled into camp about 9 pm..3 hours later than what was expected. Geohiker was ready to come looking for me, glad he didnt have to. Bless that man for having a fire going and a baked potatoe on the fire..Ethan and I were hungry as bears. SLeep time was midnight.. no more 6 am bedtimes for this girl shakehead.gif Great time even though it rained.. I will be watching my bruises turn pretty colors over the next week. yeah, here some pics of the first NWH official redneck social. wink.gif
AE_brought_his_gun
AE_brought_his_gun
AE_at play
AE_at play
redneckbbq
redneckbbq
bigagnes
bigagnes
the_rigs
the_rigs
mamas_toys
mamas_toys
are_we_there_yet
are_we_there_yet

"If you're not living good, you gotta travel wide"...Bob Marley
Yet

Yet
PostMon Aug 20, 2007 8:44 pm 
Goodness AB! I hurt just from reading your TR. I'm glad - I hope - you didn't break anything!

Tazz

Tazz
PostMon Aug 20, 2007 9:04 pm 
Dammit girl you are going to kill yourself on those f-ing things!!! rant.gif

ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!

ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!
PostMon Aug 20, 2007 9:13 pm 
hehe, I could say that about those darned scary rock peaks you climb doh.gif Love my ATV's!!! wub.gif

"If you're not living good, you gotta travel wide"...Bob Marley
Dave Workman

Dave Workman
PostTue Aug 21, 2007 8:21 am 
Quote:
Sorry we couldnt keep our eyes open long enough to help you pack up in the morning...the McNaughtons hit the spot..oops, I mean the damned kangaroo mouse stole it. souse.gif
hmmm.gif hmmm.gif Well, then, the damned kangaroo mouse owes me for the booze. Very sorry to hear of your bruises. You ought to get that wrist looked at. You'll need it to work properly should you ever again run across a bottle of Boone's Farm... Anybody runs into a drunken rodent on the upper Cispus, let the little sot know I'm lookin' fer him...

ree

ree
PostTue Aug 21, 2007 2:58 pm 
Dave Workman wrote:
ree, lemme tell ya something. You have a remarkable friend in that there Action Betty. .
I know. She knows I'm her loyal friend too. I wish we lived closer, but then her hubby might get jealous I was spending too much time with her. embarassedlaugh.gif Er... AB, glad I WASN'T on that ATV trip! I probably would have freaked. Glad you're okay! Please be careful out there!