Forum Index > Trip Reports > TNAB Gets Avalanched!
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Jeff R
Closet hiker.

Jeff R
Closet hiker.
PostSat Aug 25, 2007 12:52 am 
I enjoyed TNABing with all you guys,even though it was just for a brief moment. Getting off work early, the great weather and the destination had me chomping at the bit to summit, so I kept going. That and the skeeters! Why are the bugs still really bad this time of year? My plan was to wait at the lake for everyone to show up and then tackle Avalanche mountain together, but after descending down one switch-back from the Snow lake saddle, I continued to traverse on a bench thru heather and huckleberry slopes until a small tarn. Shortly after, I encountered a talus slope wich lead me to the ridge seperating Snoqualimie and Avalanche. Easy scrambling on the ridge from left to right brought me to the summit. I stayed on the summit for awhile until the skeeters and the impending darkness made me descend to where I meet up with the TNAB group. It was great meeting some of you for the first time! I am glad everyone hiked out safely, the off trail terrain was no place to be in the dark, thats for sure
Big Snow from Avalanche.
Big Snow from Avalanche.
Tarn above Snow lake.
Tarn above Snow lake.
Another tarn above Snow lake.
Another tarn above Snow lake.
Snow lake at dusk.
Snow lake at dusk.

Ebrace life!
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostSat Aug 25, 2007 10:30 pm 
What a great trip. 70 degree while leaving the lot at 5:30 pm.
The old trail goes thataway
The old trail goes thataway
Carved out
Carved out
Guye Peak, Alpental valley
Guye Peak, Alpental valley
It's less than an hour to the Snow Lake overlook. I briefly considered going high and trying to stay near the ridge. It looked pretty spicy from down low, so I was glad I did not. Jeff followed a nice bench well below the ridge.
The head of Alpental Valley
The head of Alpental Valley
Steps just below the gap
Steps just below the gap
Snow Lake
Snow Lake
I did some investigating at the lake since I had not been there before. A neat cabin foundation, a nice toilet, and plenty of swimming avaiable.
Happy campers at old cabin
Happy campers at old cabin
I heart backcounty toilets
I heart backcounty toilets
Beautiful pool
Beautiful pool
A few TNABers caught me and five of us headed up. There was a decent path to a tarn, but then the fun started. With no trail we had five guys spread out over the hillside. We all reconnected at the talus. It was steep, and then into the woods for steeper. Basically I was pulling myself up the hill by blueberry bushes, munching for sustenance, and occasionally pulling one out.
Chris captures the tarn
Chris captures the tarn
Drew kicking butt
Drew kicking butt
At the ridge (4800') there was still no path. It was amazing to find a peak so close to Snoqualmie Pass without a beat in route. A few of the quick guys headed up, but I did not want to scramble down the hill, and then bushwack in the dark back to Snow Lake. Out I went, joined by Don and Yet. Only a few minutes from the main path, I was off route. Blueberry bushes are easy to push through, but what was that noise? I listened as something pushed it's way through some berry bushes just on the other side of a small hill. I decided not to investigate since it was near dark, and 30' was close enough for me!
Sunset on Snoqualmie Mt
Sunset on Snoqualmie Mt
Yet and Don, moving fast
Yet and Don, moving fast
Back on trail, the moon lit our way home. Great end to a great day. Thanks TNAB!

Busta-Hip
will there be bugs?

Busta-Hip
will there be bugs?
PostThu Aug 30, 2007 12:55 am 
TNABing
Yet, I absolutely loved your addendum to Mark’s TR. You hit TNAB on the mark. By the way, did anyone notice TNAB has become a verb? “TNABing” seems to have been used often as of late. I think it requires an official Webster’s definition. Anyone up to the challenge? CHR15?? “They're like the Borg. Resistance is futile. I have been assimilated…..”

A dream is an answer to a question you haven’t figured out how to ask - Fox Mulder