Forum Index > Trip Reports > Arsenic Meadows???
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Steve Erickson

Steve Erickson
PostThu Oct 22, 2009 7:50 am 
I am looking for some information on an area above, or near Index called Arsenic Meadows. I am assuming this is a local name given to an area as I can't find any reference to it anywhere. Several years ago a hunter and longtime residence of Startup that I met in the woods, Roy Shogren, told me about the beautiful and plentiful meadows of this area. Roy passed away in 1986 and I haven't found anyone else that is familiar with the name. Do any of you know of this area?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostThu Oct 22, 2009 8:00 am 
It is the area just past Lake Isabel, around Dollar lakes, at the south end of Ragged ridge. I've never been, but it looks cool on the map.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostThu Oct 22, 2009 9:16 am 
I've made a few attempts to reach that area via Isabel. The shore of Isabel is real rugged, lots of cliff bands. The East end of Isabel is a shallow swap, with the inlet creek meandering through the middle. It is possible to float up that creek raft, (carefully!) but it's not possible to walk through that swamp the brush is just way too dense. My guess is to go up North star creek...i seem to remember a TR here on that route. Edit: here is the linky

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential
Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostFri Oct 23, 2009 2:35 am 
Here it is on Flash Earth (I think). - http://www.flashearth.com/?lat=47.870601&lon=-121.568193&z=15.6&r=0&src=yh - Pots are on the right, Lake Isabel upper left. The road you come up is a little way off-screen lower right. I drove up to the communications tower a couple of years ago (all the gates were open), but it was a back-roading day, so I really wasn't thinking about hiking. Frankly, it did not strike me as a very interesting area. edit - Special bonus. Google Earth screen shots.
North Star Pots (I think)
North Star Pots (I think)
Google Earth - North Star Pots area - road lower center, Lake Isabel upper left, pots start about halfway between.
Google Earth - North Star Pots area - road lower center, Lake Isabel upper left, pots start about halfway between.
What insomnia will do for you. rolleyes.gif

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
Jimbo

Jimbo
PostFri Oct 23, 2009 5:32 am 
2 weeks ago the gates were still open for logging. Long time family member once had digs on the Arsonic mine. We spent a few days looking of the old place and the path as a kid in the 50's he took over the ridge to a medowed area. Was fun. But, like Scrooge said.. We didn't go up North Star creek, to easy doh.gif

Guns only have two enemies; rust and politicians