Forum Index > Trip Reports > Hotel Rialto....er...Beach
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Get Out and Go

Get Out and Go
PostThu Aug 30, 2007 8:23 pm 
It was a restless morning of my fleeting summer vacation that dawned; only a couple days left before teachers were to report back, a full moon, offshore flow with 80 degree temps predicted on the Peninsula......a trip to the ocean was in order! chickenleg.gif Gear was thrown into packs and within an hour, my 10 year-old David and I left Leavenworth at 11:00 in the morning, not your typical early start. Ferry, permit and bear can in P.A., then out to the Mora Road where we headed up Rialto Beach in early evening to find a wonderful suite in the trees between Ellen Creek and Hole-in-the-Wall. Benches that could accommodate a dozen, flowers in a tin can, and a well-used fire pit, (at least still below the winter high tide mark wink.gif ) This was our spot. We had our camp set up with time to spare before the obligatory beach sunset. The dayhikers left and we were left with occupants a couple hundred yards down the beach on either side, their presence only indicated by driftwood campfires. (We found a few chunks of newer cedar that emitted aroma to die for. hmmm.gif ) The next day was spent kicking back at the sights, sounds, and smells as I watched my son poke around in tide pools and taunt the waves as I somehow attempted to capture as much as I could in a Mason jar for the coming seasons.....Beach trips always end too soon. We stopped off for a surprisingly warm swim/rinse at East Beach of Lake Crescent then drove by a few places in P.A. for nostalgia's sake. Strawberry Point and Shi Shi are still my favorites but if you need a quick fix Olympic Beach Hike, Rialto really rates.... up.gif up.gif up.gif
Rialto
Rialto
Pacific Playground
Pacific Playground
Nice Place
Nice Place

"These are the places you will find me hiding'...These are the places I will always go." (Down in the Valley by The Head and The Heart) "Sometimes you're happy. Sometimes you cry. Half of me is ocean. Half of me is sky." (Thanks, Tom Petty)
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message