Forum Index > Trip Reports > Rampart Ridges Revnge TNAB
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
yukon222

yukon222
PostWed Sep 12, 2007 7:39 pm 
mbgriffi wrote:
So the trail up to Lake Laura comes to a split. If you go left you go down to the lake, if you go right you head on up to Lake Lillian. So you must have gone left down to Lake Laura and then you just went straight up the cliff?
The Ridge Above Laura
The Ridge Above Laura
Wow. I was surprised the trail was so obvious up to Lillian, but glad at the same time to not have to bushwhack up through thorns. .....
Yep, in the rush to catch up and half jogging on the trail in the twilight, I missed that turn to the north and just went the next 100 yards down to lower Lake Laura. In your lake picture, the big cliff sections I went up are hidden off to the right. Then up the cliff from there and to Lake Lillian. Around to the right (east) of Lillian and then head mostly north up the trail from there. The trail pops over the saddle at the NE corner of Lillian, then bears northerly just staying beneath main Rampart Ridge line. You'll drift past a few tarns and eventually angle back up to the 5800'+ highpoint.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostFri Sep 14, 2007 11:07 pm 
mbgriffi wrote:
Tom, you seem to belong to Becky school of description, the "obvious" route. smile.gif Joe only noted that this was his track route, not that it was correct. Geesh.
Dude. You're the one who apparently can't read a map. hockeygrin.gif Until you can orient yourself and/or do adequate research before venturing out, I'd recommend you stick to signed trails. There are more than a handful of GPS tracks showing the exact route on this website alone. There are plenty of trip reports that describe the route in detail. If you can't take those reports and compare them with a map in hand and see the obvious route, then hopefully you'll at least have a sizeable life insurance policy in place for your loved ones before you take on a trip through the Pickets, because that trip will also likely coincide with your nomination for the Darwin Awards.

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
Mark Griffith
(Embrace yourself)

Mark Griffith
(Embrace yourself)
PostSat Sep 15, 2007 3:50 pm 
DayHike Mike, you and Ted's warm concern full of piety and obsequiousness almost inspires me to leave this forum.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSat Sep 15, 2007 4:06 pm 
Dudes I have been to the top of RR maybe a half dozen times or more and have taken a different route each time. There is no "right" route, only easier or harder routers. The same thing applies to most any peak unless you are following someones else's beta move for move. Beckey for example is notoriously ambidextrous when hes says the right col he may mean the left one. Things change and what may be the easies route can turn into a choss scramble if too many people go on it. So just lighten up you all.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Yet

Yet
PostSat Sep 15, 2007 4:15 pm 
mbgriffi wrote:
DayHike Mike, you and Ted's warm concern full of piety and obsequiousness almost inspires me to leave this forum.
Mark, please be inspired instead to stay because of all the good from this forum. And the good you bring to this forum. I'll even throw in some brownies. smile.gif

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSat Sep 15, 2007 8:19 pm 
mbgriffi, sorry about being a bit harsh on ya. Just that the events leading up to it (SAR event, solo scouting McMillan Creek, talk of flagging your route as a lesson learned, not apparently having done research to know a fairly well documented McMillan Creek route exists, etc.) gave the impression your feet were moving faster than your head. I really do think you should be making more of an effort to research your routes than asking to be spoon fed the information. As far as "warm concern full of piety and obsequiousness", perhaps you can see where I was coming from? Even you noted, "Wow. I was surprised the trail was so obvious up to Lillian."

Mark Griffith
(Embrace yourself)

Mark Griffith
(Embrace yourself)
PostSat Sep 15, 2007 8:41 pm 
Tom wrote:
As far as "warm concern full of piety and obsequiousness", perhaps you can see where I was coming from? Even you noted, "Wow. I was surprised the trail was so obvious up to Lillian."
Yeah I sent Yukon a private note, stating I didn't mean that to come across as rude, I only meant that as a comparison to how I found the trail relative to his description of his route from Laura to Lillian. As for the other points of judgment, I'll just let the issues die, you can think of me what you will, nothing I can do to change that.