Forum Index > Food & Grub > backpacking food: NOT pasta or rice
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Luc

Luc
PostWed Mar 19, 2008 11:47 am 
um. i have seen the light: http://www.justinsnutbutter.com/shop/shopping-cart.php peanut butter packets, n' different stuff in packets too.

GNGSTR
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
O'Brannigan

O'Brannigan
PostWed Mar 19, 2008 12:48 pm 
Coasty wrote:
KB, You can try coscous as well. It cooks up really fast and you can add all types of good stuff. I like to add crasins, and nuts to my coscous! Jason
I agree with coscous. It's good stuff. You can keep the craisins though gag.gif eck.gif

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders- Ted Nugent
Chippster
Shiver me timbers

Chippster
Shiver me timbers
PostWed Mar 19, 2008 1:11 pm 
O'Brannigan wrote:
I agree with coscous. It's good stuff. You can keep the craisins though gag.gif eck.gif
you're not one for the veggies adn fruits are ya? between the craisins and the cabbage lol.gif

https://nwtd.co Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.
O'Brannigan

O'Brannigan
PostWed Mar 19, 2008 1:19 pm 
I like plenty. I just abhore a few things in life. Satans top five most henious treacheries; rice raisin and raisin like things cabbage and corned beef pumpkin pie squash

Chippster
Shiver me timbers

Chippster
Shiver me timbers
PostWed Mar 19, 2008 1:22 pm 
i can kinda understand a few of those, but pumpkin pie and rice?? is that all kinds of rice or only white rice?

https://nwtd.co Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.
Dante

Dante
PostWed Mar 19, 2008 1:24 pm 
Good dense bread, cheese, hard salami or other cured meat--classic foodie picnic fare. Tall Grass Bakery's seeded rye is one of my favorite breads for hiking. For breakfast, I like to bring Bob's Red Mill Muesli. I also like to bring salad--I miss greens when I'm hiking. Put the greens in a plastic bag, fill it with air and seal it to keep the greens from getting crushed.

O'Brannigan

O'Brannigan
PostWed Mar 19, 2008 1:28 pm 
Chippster wrote:
i can kinda understand a few of those, but pumpkin pie and rice?? is that all kinds of rice or only white rice?
It doesn't matter what you do with rice man. It's still rice.

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostWed Mar 19, 2008 1:36 pm 
I am saddened when other hate many foods! I cannot imagine being a "meat and tater" type of eater. I will try nearly anything once..often why food is nasty tasting isn't the food rather how it is prepared. Overcooked, watery or greasy food is rarely good. I am also blessed with a kid that will eat anything for the most part. Our rule is you must try it if it is offered. Hence the kid loves nearly all Asian cuisine and still loves eating steak. His nickname is Lil' Hoover due to his incredible appetite lol.gif Rice is like pasta to me: I cannot imagine living without it. Give me Jasmine, Red Cargo, Purple sticky, Basmati, white sticky....wild rice, brown rices...I love 'em all.

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
Luc

Luc
PostWed Mar 19, 2008 2:07 pm 
sarbar wrote:
Purple sticky
hey! thats not rice! (sorry, just had to) lol.gif

GNGSTR
Opus
Wannabe

Opus
Wannabe
PostWed Mar 19, 2008 2:15 pm 
sarbar wrote:
I am saddened when other hate many foods! I cannot imagine being a "meat and tater" type of eater. I will try nearly anything once..often why food is nasty tasting isn't the food rather how it is prepared. Overcooked, watery or greasy food is rarely good.
Simple curiosity here, but have you tried any of the more "exotic" stuff like insects? I've had chocolate covered ants and a grasshopper. Only evidence of a bug was a sort of crunchiness, beyond that it was just chocolate. But of course chocolate can make most anything palatable. I've always been strangely intrigued and disgusted that my "Beyond GORP" book explains in detail how to catch, cook, and eat mice and squirrel.

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostWed Mar 19, 2008 2:16 pm 
It is really good..lol! Purple Sticky Rice. Sometimes it is referred to as Black Rice. smile.gif

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostWed Mar 19, 2008 2:20 pm 
Opus wrote:
sarbar wrote:
I am saddened when other hate many foods! I cannot imagine being a "meat and tater" type of eater. I will try nearly anything once..often why food is nasty tasting isn't the food rather how it is prepared. Overcooked, watery or greasy food is rarely good.
Simple curiosity here, but have you tried any of the more "exotic" stuff like insects? I've had chocolate covered ants and a grasshopper. Only evidence of a bug was a sort of crunchiness, beyond that it was just chocolate. But of course chocolate can make most anything palatable. I've always been strangely intrigued and disgusted that my "Beyond GORP" book explains in detail how to catch, cook, and eat mice and squirrel.
Lol..I love the section on Mouse Hamburger. Yum! (Ok, not) I have eaten a number of odd items, including octopus eyes. paranoid.gif That I wouldn't go back for seconds. I grew up very poor and you ate what was put in front of you, wether or not you thought it was good. We ate a LOT of cow tongue from the rancher next door and whatever else my dad traded work for at times. There would be good times like when my dad's buddy caught a ton of Sturgeon and they smoked it. My mom was a very good canner and canned it for them. We ate that fish for years and it was SO good. Squirrel isn't bad actually, especially the plump tender ones in my yard wink.gif They are my backup plan for the end of the world biggrin.gif

O'Brannigan

O'Brannigan
PostWed Mar 19, 2008 2:39 pm 
When I was in junior high my dad taught me how to shoot a wrist rocket. Soon after we went out on a camping trip. Low and behold I saw a squirrel up in a tree.I thought i was all alone but you can bet dad was watching. I shot probably 30 marbles at that squirrel and missed every time. I finally did hit it. It fell out of the tree in the bushes and I felt absolutle horrible about it. Dad came up and asked me why I killed that squirrel. I said in tears "I don't know". To teach me a lesson for taking a life for no reason, he made me clean, skin, cook and eat that squirrel. A lesson I never forgot.

Chippster
Shiver me timbers

Chippster
Shiver me timbers
PostWed Mar 19, 2008 3:02 pm 
O'Brannigan wrote:
To teach me a lesson for taking a life for no reason, he made me clean, skin, cook and eat that squirrel. A lesson I never forgot.
was it tasty?

O'Brannigan

O'Brannigan
PostWed Mar 19, 2008 3:10 pm 
Wasn't great, but it wasn't bad. It was a pretty scrawny squirrel. Wasn't much there. The lesson was a pretty bitter pill to swollow