Forum Index > Trip Reports > Lena, Milk, Deer Heart, Stone, Angels, Hagen Lakes (8/28-30)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
goats gone wild
Mr. Goat

goats gone wild
Mr. Goat
PostFri Sep 28, 2007 9:21 pm 
Yup, love those goats. It really is a dream trip for me. I've been staring at the topo for awhile and wondering how to go about exploring that area. Sounds like you guys did a great job of it! Last time I was up there we got turned back before Upper Lena due to snow. (December, I think). We've a cabin in Lilliwaup and were out dayhiking. I was really curious about St. Peters to LOA and maybe LOA to Hopper...late summer trip, of course...and probably not 'till next year. So, your TR will inspire me all winter.

.....leaving me wanting to return over and over in what ever capacity that may be, even if one day my knees are too old and I can only see the mountains from my porch. Jason Hummel
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
reststep

reststep
PostSat Sep 29, 2007 3:42 pm 
I was glad to have my ice ax going up to St. Peter's Gate but that is just me. I just feel more comfortable on something like that with my ice ax.

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
goats gone wild
Mr. Goat

goats gone wild
Mr. Goat
PostSat Sep 27, 2008 5:12 pm 
Yep, I finally got around to re-reading this. I remember reading it the first time and feeling a great desire to follow in your footsteps. Very fun and interesting to read it again after being there. You guys did an excellent job exploring. I regret now not going to Milk Lake or to the shores of the Hagen Lakes. Sounds like you descended from the Great Stone Arrow, around the shores of the lakes, and back to the Hopper-Stone ridge traverse to make a loop. Great idea! Because we missed actually descending at St. Peter's Notch (took a pass further east) I'm still curious as to exactly how steep it is on the south side of the notch. It looked so steep on the topo, that I chickened out. Can you give me some compare and contrast to say--the descent from the saddle above LOA to the trail that crosses over to the Great Stone Arrow?? I thought that section was steep as well. Yes, BPJ, you were there, and you were a real sweetheart to have food and beverage waiting and a topped off tank of gas. What a guy! up.gif biggrin.gif

.....leaving me wanting to return over and over in what ever capacity that may be, even if one day my knees are too old and I can only see the mountains from my porch. Jason Hummel
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSat Sep 27, 2008 5:41 pm 
I don't recall anything that was as steep in terms of continuous sustained slope, but it's not something I'd worry about unless it was snow covered. I can think of a some shorter cliffy sections on the LOTA trail and from LOTA to Hagen that were steeper and scarier, but with handholds or veggie belay.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSat Sep 27, 2008 5:47 pm 
What are friends for anyway? hockeygrin.gif A nice area. up.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
goats gone wild
Mr. Goat

goats gone wild
Mr. Goat
PostSat Sep 27, 2008 6:28 pm 
Is it loose talus?. I mean, can you kick your feet into it? Was there any kind of a boot path on the southside of the notch? I thought the trail from LOA to Hagen was pretty darned steep (when you first drop over the ridge from LOA). Really, too steep for my exact comfort level. So, are you saying the descent from the notch is about the same? sans the vege belay?

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSat Sep 27, 2008 6:40 pm 
No, it's not that steep. I recall it being a little loose but not too bad. You just have to go slow. Off to the sides it was more stable. It converges into a bootpath as you get down lower.

Timmie

Timmie
PostSat Sep 27, 2008 9:28 pm 
Great report. Someday!! BTW the goats are not native and the sub alpine area would be in much better shape if they were not there redface.gif With that said... I soooo look foward to getting some of my own photos. I should try the pee trick flush.gif

goats gone wild
Mr. Goat

goats gone wild
Mr. Goat
PostSat Sep 27, 2008 10:26 pm 
Thanks for the info, Tom. up.gif

Bruce

Bruce
PostWed Oct 01, 2008 10:06 am 
Trees
They have been cut to let pack animals pass thru. Mules or burrors were used most everwhere in the days gone by.

HumpnoocheeGirl

HumpnoocheeGirl
PostThu Jun 13, 2013 7:56 pm 
That is some gorgeous country! You had outstanding weather and some great friends too agree.gif I love Hagen Lakes colors.

dave shorett
sunfish

dave shorett
sunfish
PostSat Jan 23, 2021 10:45 am 
Hello - I am revising my book Olympic Mountains Fishing Guide and at 77, I'm not able to get to places like the Hagan Lakes anymore. This will be my 4th revision. I will be going to color this time and came across your extraordinary photos and trip report to Hagan Lakes. I am wondering if you would consider letting me use a photo or two, giving you credit under the photos. As important to me is what you observed as to fish in the lakes you visited, including the Stone Ponds, Hagan, (maybe Scout if you got there.) As you may imagine, getting valid fish species, size and other data is hard to do if you don't actually fish the lake. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

I have written several books about fishing in the Olympics, Cascades and Mt. Rainer. I am looking for photos and trip info that I can use to update my books.
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSat Jan 23, 2021 5:18 pm 
Sure, feel free to use any of the pics I've posted or contact me for larger prints. We never made it down to Scout. I don't remember fishing any of the lakes but I'm sure you could reach out to the Trailblazers who would have current info. I recall seeing an image of a rather large fish taken at one of the lakes but that was a long time ago and likely non-reproducing.

Bruce

Bruce
PostSat Jan 23, 2021 6:49 pm 
Currently in AZ Have info and photos of all those lakes... haven’t fished any recently however Believe have one of your books... worked with a young fellow some years ago at Sol Duc who indicated he helped (if that was you) I can send photos/ info when return home perhaps in March.... you could use if interested Have visited many Olympic lakes and used to fish them at times Bruce K7onp@yahoo.com

dave shorett
sunfish

dave shorett
sunfish
PostSat Jan 23, 2021 10:34 pm 
Tom - thanks. The Trailblazers are a good suggestion but they are basically a secret society that does not divulge fishing secrets to nonmembers. I know this from experience. but I can try them. I am wondering if you have the digitals of the photos I see and at least one of the Hagen Lakes? If so, I'd love to arrange get it by email and I'd need your full name to give you photo credit. Thanks again. Dave

I have written several books about fishing in the Olympics, Cascades and Mt. Rainer. I am looking for photos and trip info that I can use to update my books.