Forum Index > Trail Talk > Mines in the Harts Pass area
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Dogpatch

Dogpatch
PostThu Sep 27, 2007 10:36 pm 
Timber Cruiser wrote:
I think the Canadians were trying to weasel their way in with us. They always brought whiskey.
Hmm...we were thinking to trying that technique with some of the miners. Do you think it will work? naughty.gif The history is the draw for us too - Campking and I just got back from a scouting mission up there. We went up the PCT from Harts Pass to Windy Pass and peeked into Barron. Being old folks, we limped along - okay, we leaped with joy at the beauty of the area. The fog was just lifting as we set out and more of the view was revealed as we progressed. We saw the road on Cady Ridge that leads over the top and down to the Azurite Mine. And scoped out the route up to Chancellor. The heli-skiing cabin in Barron that Timber Cruiser mentions has been replaced with a humongous yurt - only $900 for a four-day stay! (A little rich for my blood.) In Barron, we spotted the remains of the mill for the Eureka Mine and numerous other dumps and workings. So our plan for next summer is Barron, Chancellor, and Cady Ridge.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." – Groucho Marx
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Campking

Campking
PostThu Sep 27, 2007 11:12 pm 
I was overwhelmed the entire trip. I figured I could get a good overview by looking at google earth and it panned out. If you are going to explore the upper workings I think it may be easier to go in the back way from Windy Pass. We could easily spend a few days exploring. Snow was predicted for today so we headed home. We camped at the old campground at Harts Pass. No one there but us. We grabbed a spot that looked familiar....it turns out there is photo of it in the Mountaineers 1967 "Trips and Trails"! Mom is cooking on a Coleman stove. The enclosed stone griddles look like they were from the thirties. That is when the CCC worked on the Harts Pass road. Next trip I am bringing some bacon, sourdough and a frying pan. Hopefully the F.S. won't replace the griddle gizmos. I talked to miner guy coming in this morning....turned out he spent time in Alaska fishing...so we had something to talk about since I spent a number of years purse seining in the 70s when there were lots of fish and prices higher than today. We are thinking of opening a coffee stand for the through hikers and pass out cookies when our joints wear out. Our dog, Little Guy, had long conversations with the Ravens and smuggled a rock into the car when we stopped to ogle Dead Horse Point

Dogpatch

Dogpatch
PostFri Sep 28, 2007 7:37 am 
I've got one more question, for anybody still following this discussion. I've seen references to "Ruby Canyon Creek" in the vicinity of Chancellor, but I can't find it on my maps (USGS and Green Trails). Is this maybe an older or alternate name for Canyon Creek?

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." – Groucho Marx
Jake

Jake
PostFri Sep 28, 2007 8:38 am 
Seems to me that is the case. First time I visited Chancellor back in the early 60s some were saying it was on Ruby Creek. Canyon Creek Joins with Granite Creek to form Ruby Creek down near highway 20. Don?t know how that mistake was made.