Forum Index > Trip Reports > Foss Lakes Sep 5-9
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
RayD
the griz ate my pass

RayD
the griz ate my pass
PostMon Sep 10, 2007 9:39 pm 
A big thanks to DayhikeMike for suggesting this area to me when we met at Jerry Lakes. After a drive from Spokane, I hit the trail at the early hour of 12 noon with the idea of camping at Little Heart but seeing smoke rising from a campfire at one of the few good sites, I continued on to Big Heart and camped at a site just above the lake. The next day I took the trail to Chetwoot Lake and found a multitude of campsites at a large flat area just above Little Chetwoot. There is a nice view of Angeline Lake and lots of opportunity for wandering up higher through meadows and talus. Caught some nice trout for supper both nights that I spent there. The best fishing was well after the sun went down. Some pics follow.
Foss 001
Foss 001
Foss 021
Foss 021
Foss 019
Foss 019
Foss 017
Foss 017
Foss 016
Foss 016
Foss 014
Foss 014
Foss 026
Foss 026
Foss 025
Foss 025
Foss 034
Foss 034
Foss 030
Foss 030
Foss 028
Foss 028
Foss 063
Foss 063
Foss 060
Foss 060
Foss 052
Foss 052
Foss 064
Foss 064
Foss 049
Foss 049
At Chetwoot I came across this odd chunk of metal that looked to have been melted.
Foss 042
Foss 042
Too strong to be lead but too light to be silver....which of course was the hope. smile.gif Then wandering around the shore of the lake some I came across larger chunks of the same melted metal along with a scattering of very rusted pieces of what looked to be buckles and various electrical parts.
Foss 051
Foss 051
I figure that it must have the remnants of a float plane that burned and the metal was aluminum. Later on the way back, I talked to folks who told me that float planes were flying into the lakes until the 1970's and that Otter Lake a big camp accessed by float plane. The trail from Big heart to Chetwoot is a bit rough but well marked with cairns. Here's a couple examples. wink.gif
Foss 033
Foss 033
Foss 037
Foss 037
Coming out to the trailhead was very slow going what with all the dayhikers I stopped tp chat with. People are so much fun when they're away from the daily grind. up.gif 17 rigs at the trailhead! The area is popular but hikers really thin out after Big Heart. The weather was great! It only frosted one night and the bugs were minimal. What surprised me is the lack of wildlife. No bear sign and no deer sign. All I saw was one lonely hawk!

don't believe everything you think
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
jlmfive

jlmfive
PostTue Sep 11, 2007 12:22 am 
Chetwoot
FYI back in '88 we hiked through Chetwoot and there was helicopter wreckage on the shore near the outlet that looked like it had been there a few years.

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.
RayD
the griz ate my pass

RayD
the griz ate my pass
PostTue Sep 11, 2007 6:10 pm 
Thanks. That could be it. I think the FS comes in and removes the bigger pieces and just leaves those little chunks to give hikers a mystery to think about. smile.gif

don't believe everything you think
Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostFri Sep 14, 2007 10:50 pm 
Hey there, Ray! I'm glad you enjoyed the West Fork Foss! Lots of great terrain to wander around in and explore! up.gif up.gif

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short