Forum Index > Trip Reports > TNAB: Guye(s) Night Out!
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Mesahchie Mark
A Lerxst

Mesahchie Mark
A Lerxst
PostFri Sep 07, 2007 8:59 am 
Guye Peak: 9/6/07 Despite fantastic weather and a fun, zippy hike planned, only three "guys" showed up for Guye Peak: Chris S (CHR15), Dave (Tread Well), and Yours Truly. We had a blast! Starting from Alpental at 6 PM, we made quick work of the Snoqualmie Mountain trail. From where the trail splits in the talus field, we took the right fork and meandered eastward to the saddle on Cave Ridge. And after a quick stop to take reflection pics at the tarn, we made the final steep push to Guye's north peak, arriving right around 7 PM. The fun was just starting! Dave and I took altitude measurements of the north peak, he with his GPS, and I with my altimeter. The sub goal was to see which peak of the three is higher, and by how much. Initial readings made, we backed down to the base of the north peak and descended the steep gully that falls into Commonwealth Basin. One only needs to drop about 100 ft of el before the passage to Guye's middle peak is revealed. It first requires a ledge traverse, then ascend the opposite gully. Midway up this gully is a slabby portion with just enough sketch factor to warrant use of a rope for a handline, especially on the descent. I scrambled to the belay station and attached a 30m length. Next stop: the middle peak. You basically climb right over it. My altimeter read 8 ft higher than the north peak, but Dave's GPS didn't budge. Hmmm... Overall, the middle peak is probably the most enjoyable, which much sustained scrambling. The drop to the saddle between the middle and south peaks has a nice bit of exposure to keep one's attention. Not so much to scramble on the south peak, but the views are incredible! Off to the right, you can stare straight down on Alpental. The Commonwealth Basin and all its peaks are in view. But for me, the best is watching the sun set on Rainier - I never get tired of that! It was 7:30 PM by now. My altimeter read 10 ft higher than the north peak, while Dave's GPS still refused to budge. What to make of that! I made a quick call to Yet, to let her join in on the fun (we missed you!), then we turned around to head home. Wouldn't be prudent to get stuck scrambling in the dark! We made our way off the peaks and back to the trail without difficulty. The rope was just the right length to deliver us to safety. Down-hiking in the twilight, we passed the Cave Ridge saddle, only to joined by...The Phantom! Too funny, I was wondering where Steve was - hehe. He spun his usual tale of a late start and a wrong turn - sounded like he had as much fun as we did! The four of us proceeded to descend from the mountain, and then headed straight for the NBB&G. What else did you expect? (pics to follow)

Cheers, Mesahchie Mark
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
huron

huron
PostFri Sep 07, 2007 9:14 am 
Mark, the combination of your persistent nickname and my nice visit with the State Patrol on the way home made me realize that a change is necessary for my NWHikers handle. Byebye CHR15.
Tread Well on Guye Peak Scramble
Tread Well on Guye Peak Scramble
Exposed scramble to Guye middle peak
Exposed scramble to Guye middle peak
Mesahchie descending Guye North peak
Mesahchie descending Guye North peak
Which of 3 peaks is higher?
Which of 3 peaks is higher?
Ascending Guye Peak
Ascending Guye Peak

Yet

Yet
PostFri Sep 07, 2007 9:17 am 
That Phantom dude is too funny! embarassedlaugh.gif Sounds like you guy(e)s had fun measuring the peaks. And there was rope involved, too? Nice! Thanks for the summit call. You guys sure know how to make a girl feel loved. wub.gif Chris, thanks for the pics. The scrambles look like fun! /jealous

yukon222

yukon222
PostFri Sep 07, 2007 9:21 am 
Wow. Really sorry my foot wasn't in shape for this one. Plus my stupid cabin homeowner's Board meeting was last night so I had a double whammy. Looks like Tread Well was really concentrating on the Guye middle peak ascent. Perhaps even nervous? I haven't done Guye. And you guys used a rope too. I haven't done a hike which required a rope - now I'm really bummed I missed out. Plus the Phantom appears again!!

Yet

Yet
PostFri Sep 07, 2007 9:22 am 
Magnum wrote:
Mark, the combination of your persistent nickname and my nice visit with the State Patrol on the way home made me realize that a change is necessary for my NWHikers handle. Byebye CHR15.
Magnum. I like it! I never could type that danged nickname of yours.

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot
PostFri Sep 07, 2007 11:00 am 
Clever title. You know, with three guys and three summits, maybe you could have used a different methodology. In the spirit of guys' night out, you could have each gone to a separate summit, and then compared whose was bigger.

“As beacons mountains burned at evening.” J.R.R. Tolkien
Grizzy
Yellow Cedar Hugger

Grizzy
Yellow Cedar Hugger
PostFri Sep 07, 2007 11:20 am 
Matt wrote:
Clever title. You know, with three guys and three summits, maybe you could have used a different methodology. In the spirit of guys' night out, you could have each gone to a separate summit, and then compared whose was bigger.
rotf.gif

All the birds have flown up and gone; A lonely cloud floats leisurely by. We never tire of looking at each other - Only the mountain and I. ~Li Po~
Mesahchie Mark
A Lerxst

Mesahchie Mark
A Lerxst
PostFri Sep 07, 2007 7:52 pm 
As promised - here are some pics from the event:
Snoqualmie Mountain
Snoqualmie Mountain
Red Mountain
Red Mountain
Kendall Peak
Kendall Peak
Rampart Ridge
Rampart Ridge
Middle and South Peaks
Middle and South Peaks
Alpental
Alpental
Commonwealth Basin at Sunset
Commonwealth Basin at Sunset
Denny Ridge
Denny Ridge
Middle Summit and Snoqualmie
Middle Summit and Snoqualmie
Scaling the Middle Peak
Scaling the Middle Peak
Magnum on the Rope
Magnum on the Rope
Tread Well on the Rope
Tread Well on the Rope

Cheers, Mesahchie Mark
Mark Griffith
(Embrace yourself)

Mark Griffith
(Embrace yourself)
PostFri Sep 07, 2007 8:26 pm 
Looks like some fun scrambling. I have never done Guye in the summer, only in the snow. The sunset was amazing that night on Rainier we were out picking huckleberries just down from you guys above Gold Creek
That Mountain Again
That Mountain Again
The Haul
The Haul

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Sep 07, 2007 8:27 pm 
Magnum wrote:
Well seeing as I am on intimate terms with the Kittatass Co. Bulls after TNAB hikes I can well understand the situation. Sorry to have missed out on this one, stooges.gif FWIW I did replace the geocache container on DH earlier on Thursday. biggrin.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Oren
Grampa Murphy

Oren
Grampa Murphy
PostSun Sep 09, 2007 7:16 am 
I was up on the norht summit last weekend and didn't feel comfortable scrambling over the the south by myself. ( It's been a while since I've been next to that kind of exposure) Help me out with this one. Peggy Goldmans 75 Scrambles, does it mention anything about rope work? I don't seem to recall. All the reseach that I've done since, everyone seems to at least belay back to the gullly. BTW thanks for the TR guyes. [quote] "In the spirit of guys' night out, you could have each gone to a separate summit, and then compared whose was bigger." Funny stuff Matt lol.gif

Long since I've been amongst majestic peaks nor side mirrored lakes where awe so speaks. Blanketed valleys the dawn awakes and blinking stars to fade. My soul is called to see these things, the Hand of God has made.
Tread Well

Tread Well
PostMon Sep 10, 2007 10:12 am 
Nice hike. My first real rock climbing class. What a rush. Mark and Chris kept me out of trouble and showed me the ropes (literally used a rope). - Nice
South Guye Peak, how do we get there?
This is how we get there.
Typical TNAB Trail
Typical TNAB Trail
Rainier on a clear day
Rainier on a clear day
Peeking through the clouds
Peeking through the clouds
Guye Peak route
Guye Peak route
What a hoot. Tread Well Dave Schultz

Let's go for a walk.
Yet

Yet
PostTue Sep 11, 2007 8:03 am 
Tread Well wrote:
Mark and Chris kept me out of trouble ...
Dave, I'm wondering if we know the same Mark and Chris? wink.gif I enjoyed (am enjoying) all the pics posted here. You -especially- seem to have had a blast! Love the classic "this is how we get there/typical TNAB trail." embarassedlaugh.gif

Yet

Yet
PostTue Sep 11, 2007 8:05 am 
Malachai Constant wrote:
Well seeing as I am on intimate terms with the Kittatass Co. Bulls after TNAB hikes I can well understand the situation.
mum.gif

Mesahchie Mark
A Lerxst

Mesahchie Mark
A Lerxst
PostTue Sep 11, 2007 8:26 am 
Oren wrote:
Help me out with this one. Peggy Goldmans 75 Scrambles, does it mention anything about rope work? I don't seem to recall. All the reseach that I've done since, everyone seems to at least belay back to the gullly.
Oren, the section between the north and middle peaks is a bit sketchy, especially when hiking TNAB-style. It's slabby, dirty, and slopes the wrong way. A belay station is already setup on a clump of trees above it. We used the rope only for a handline, and mostly for the downclimb, nothing more "technical" than that. 30m suffices quite nicely.

Cheers, Mesahchie Mark