Forum Index > Trip Reports > Beacon Hill Spokane - September 9th, 2007
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Spotly

Spotly
PostSun Sep 09, 2007 10:51 pm 
I sometimes babble on about nothing. That's what this is so ignore it if you're in a serious mood. Where is Beacon Hill?! Well, if you get off I-90 and head north on Argonne, you'll cross over the Spokane River after a few miles. After crossing the river, go about half a mile then take a left at the first light. This is Upriver Drive. Follow Upriver Drive for several miles till you come to a paved parking area on the right amongst a group of large granite rocks. This is what is commonly referred to as Minnehaha or Minne for short. Its official name is John Shields County Park. It used to be no more than a dirt pullout used by climbers and partiers. In recent years, various groups have contributed to some pretty big cleanup efforts. Graffiti was scrubbed from rocks, campfire rings removed, trash picked up and a paved parking area put in. Lately, paint on the rocks has grown again and the general cleanliness of the area has spiraled downward. Even so, the place continues to crawl with climbers, bikers, exercise hikers, paint ballers and an occasional drug dealer. If you park here and follow a trail towards the northwest from the main parking, you'll start heading uphill within a 1/8th of a mile. The trail is braided but if you stay going upward, you'll arrive at the top after just over a mile having climbed 629 feet. The trail is steep in most places and is hard-packed with a covering of small loose gravel in the steepest sections, where it's most inconvenient. I drive by here on my way home so most afternoons I'm either hiking the hill or climbing the rock...or both. A few of my friends also drive by on Upriver Drive after work so needless to say, I get a fair amount of ribbing from some of them who see my Tundra parked there all too often. My actual time spent here is rather short though. Just long enough to get up the hill and down (25 to 40 minutes depending on motivation) or to do a few laps on an easy route or boulder problem. Tonight I decided to hike to the top and enjoy the sunset. I brought the camera but like an idiot, I kept my fingers too close to the front and the flash bounced off them and back into the lens - most turned out like ick. Anyhoo, I got started too late and had to make fast time to the top. There was one other car in the lot as I headed out. This parking area is like a Cascades TH - watch your valuables because cars have been broken into here. As I cruised the first several hundred yards of level trail past the main face of the rock, my mind wandered and I wondered if the occupants of the car were one of the many "bad" pet owners I've seen out here who let their "friendly" dog run free. I reached back to make sure my weirding module was present and secure...it was and I felt better. "Lunatic Fringe, I know you're out there." The trail steepened and my La Sportiva Exum Ridge shoes made me happy. I can't slip in these things! About halfway up, I rounded a corner and spotted 3 or 4 deer. They had been grazing on apples and didn't appear in too much of a hurry to scurry off. I picked up the pace on the short flat stretch. "The damn thing gone blind." Off to the left, about 2/3 up the trail I passed a little spur trail. If you follow that down several hundred yards there's a 30 foot rock face where I put up a nice 5.9 route earlier this year. I'd just gotten into a bit of a bitching contest with my climbing partner and had spent some time up here soloing and cleaning out cracks. It took a few days to get the route in because it was pretty mossy. I named it "Solitary Confinement" because I was feeling sorry for myself. There's a nice 60-foot traverse problem as well. A few spicy moves. I named it YAAA because I was still pissed at my climbing partner. "Sing it girl. 'Sexy Kung Foo fighter'" <FF> My wife put that one on the MP3 player. She's got a weird sense of humor that way. When I was deciding on a major in college, I had an appointment with the dean of the Computer Science department. In preparation for the meeting, Teri had helped me compile a list of questions to ask. I tucked the questions into my pocket and during the meeting, I nervously read them off to the dean. Teri had added "Do the chicks out here have big hooters?" Yeah, funny now. She put Snausages on a meat platter that she prepared for her sister once. The sister's coworkers thought it was funny though...even if her sister didn't. The last 100 feet of elevation to the top are the steepest. The trail pops out of the trees into a power line right of way, crosses under the lines then with a short and very steep push, gains the magnificent summit. There's a car here that someone trundled down the embankment just this year. Over the last 6 or 7 months, it seems to be migrating further down the hill and becoming "one" with the landscape. I've never checked the area around it out too closely but I'm sure whomever sent it over the edge checked for hikers first. The actual summit is another hundred yards across the plateau but well worth the extra effort. There's a cairn there. Apparently it's got a rich history. Fred Spicker tells me that he started the original pile years ago. Back when the local legends were putting in FAs on the main wall I'd imagine. Anyway, he'd grab large rocks from the parking area and haul them to the top for exercise. After awhile, the pile grew fairly large then the cell tower people scooped them all up and used them as foundation material for the towers. Fred persisted though and before too long, the cairn was back. He built it surrounding an old tree stump. One day he came to the top and saw a fire built in the center with a cooking rack and hot dogs. No one around though. Because of the stump in the middle, the fire smoldered for weeks - like a mini volcano. The history has some tragic events too...a guy laid upon the pile once and shot himself. I always wonder about what drove him to that. Sad. In addition to an obligatory rock, I'll often throw on a wild flower or at least a pretty weed and say a word or two like "Howdy" or maybe comment on the heat or cold. Today it took 19 minutes to get to the top. My best time is 14 and that was with a fair amount of running. I used to run down it too but it didn't take long to realize how bad that was for the 49 year old knees! It's usually a quick turn around because I'm needing to get home or get somewhere. Today I decided to stay a few minutes to enjoy the sunset and listen to more music. "No colors any more, I want them to turn black." On the way down, I kept the headphones wrapped around my neck so I could enjoy the sounds of nature as well. Off in the distance I could hear the screech as airplane tires hit the pavement over at Felts Field just across the river. Occasional gunshots rang out at the police firing range near Upriver Dam. The power lines hummed. But the crickets were the loudest sound. It got really dark and the rocky trail laid in plenty of invisible obstacles. At one point where it got especially dark, I heard a cracking sound in the trees. It was probably just the deer again but I felt to make sure the weirding module hadn't fallen from its straps. I think people walk their nice dogs in other places - this is the mean dog walking park. They found a stabbed dead guy on the hill last week. I think they used the term "suspicious." Perhaps the stab wounds were an indication. I took a slightly different route down, following an open ridge towards the river on a path past the "Minnehaha Logger" activity - some dumbass chopped down a bunch of pines with an ax just for the fun of it. This ridge is a popular spot for the paint ball crowd because of the many rocky hiding spots. It's also popular with the beer drinking crowd because it's somewhat hidden from the main road and the chances of the cops spotting them are less. The trail drops off the ridge into a large dirt turnout/parking area just west of the paved parking. Be careful here, the far west end (right where the trail ends) is a popular stop for the I-need-my-BJ-now crowd. A fun trip to a great little hill.(Pictures)

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
trailjunky
Backcountry Bumpkin'

trailjunky
Backcountry Bumpkin'
PostMon Sep 10, 2007 1:25 am 
Way to go Tim, great read. I've been up Beacon a few times myself thanks to your beta, good little work out. And now that I think about it, I remember several good piles of glass on the ground in that parking lot. Great TR, one of your best. I love a TR with a few laughs. One of these days I'll have to join you on a trip to the top.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message