Forum Index > Trip Reports > Self doubt on Naches Peak 9-2-07
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
GeoTom

GeoTom
PostWed Sep 05, 2007 4:10 pm 
We were at the cabin with the family as usual for Labor Day weekend, but this time it was a working weekend. The cabin needed it's 10-15 year paint job and I was also tasked with insulating and finishing some cubbyholes above the two little bedrooms so Dani's mom could store more blankets. I decided if I was going to get any hiking in this weekend, it would have to be early. I woke up a little before 5:00 am on Sunday zzz.gif still feeling the effects of the beers from the night before drink.gif Luckily it was only a 20 minute drive to Chinook Pass. I saw one elk cross the road in front of me on the drive up. The sun was just starting to rise as I started hiking, so my headlamp was not needed. I found the spur trail off the Naches Peak Loop and started up it. Somehow I lost it, then found it, then lost it again and found it one more time. Shortly I was standing on the false summit just north of the highest point. I had heard from a couple friends that they had stopped at this point as it looked nasty descending from this point to the notch between it and the high point. It didn't look appealing to me either, so I backtracked a ways, then traversed under the west side of the summit block until I found some ledges that led to a short gully. I started up the gully, but about 15 feet up (~30 feet from the highest point) I decided to stop. There were a couple moves ahead that gave me pause. Conditions were good, but I was by myself and didn't really want to make a stupid mistake and get hurt. Humbled, I descended and continued my traverse below and to the south. I saw another ledge on the eastern side of the summit block that looked favorable. It led to another gully. I started up, then stopped again. My mind was having the same thoughts as on the other side. I descended to safer ground, had a snack, then decided that today was not my day to summit Naches Peak. I did continue south along the ridge to a nice viewpoint, then descended down heather to a sandy area that continued to near the tarn along the PCT, which I followed back to the car. The drive back was uneventful. Coffee was ready coffee.gif but half the crew wasn't even awake yet. A few pictures from my "failure":
Morning light
Morning light
Glowing Tahoma
Glowing Tahoma
Tarn along PCT
Tarn along PCT
View south
View south
Angry Tahoma
Angry Tahoma
Moon over sand and rocks
Moon over sand and rocks

Knows literally nothing
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Tazz

Tazz
PostWed Sep 05, 2007 4:18 pm 
I stopped at the false summit myself...2xs biggrin.gif It is a bit sketch especially when solo. Good report up.gif

Karen

Karen
PostWed Sep 05, 2007 4:53 pm 
I made it to the summit with a group of Mountaineer Alpine Scramblers a few years ago but it made us nervous. I was glad to get down and wouldn't climb it again. You made a good decision. Karen

stay together, learn the flowers, go light - from Turtle Island, Gary Snyder
Kathleen

Kathleen
PostWed Sep 05, 2007 9:11 pm 
I was up at Chinook Pass myself on Saturday but did Sourdough Gap instead. Thought about doing Naches Peak but having a leashed dog with me decided against it especially being solo.

justybug
henteaser

justybug
henteaser
PostThu Sep 06, 2007 10:16 am 
i remember hesitating a bit at the big notch coming from the west. there's really good handholds to get you across, you just have to commit to it.. better idea to go with your gut though, that's a long tumbly fall if you flub it.. lol.gif

kenya believe it?? "Time is so everything doesn't happen at once. Space is so everything doesn't happen to you."
Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger

Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger
PostThu Sep 06, 2007 7:27 pm 
GeoTom wrote:
Angry Tahoma
Angry Tahoma
She's probably angry because so many people call her Rainier instead of her original given name of Tahoma, she shouldn't be mad at you though GeoTom biggrin.gif

GeoTom

GeoTom
PostThu Sep 06, 2007 7:40 pm 
Hey thanks for the kind words Tazz, Karen and justybug. Kathleen- Not sure if bringing a dog up Naches Peak would be a good idea. For one, I am pretty sure that you cross into Mt. Rainier National Park when you are on the west side of the ridge. It is also fairly difficult right at the top. My dog has been up some decent scrambles, but I was glad I left him in the tent with Dani (he was sleepy anyway). The Naches Peak Loop is great for dogs, but only the eastern half of course. Bryan- I try and use the original names whenever I can. They sound better to me anyway. up.gif For all the years I have been going across Chinook Pass to Dani's family's cabin, this was the first time I had attempted Naches Peak shakehead.gif . It always looked easier to me than Yakima Peak from the road, but I found Yakima Peak to be quite easy (both Jasper and my in-laws dog Brigitte made it last October).

Knows literally nothing
Marmotneer

Marmotneer
PostFri Sep 07, 2007 8:00 pm 
GT, know exactly where you were and being solo had the exact same thoughts and did the same thing. I went down and hiked the loop around the mountain (with my wife and friend lower who felt sketched out before I did up higher) M

Kathleen

Kathleen
PostSun Sep 09, 2007 6:43 pm 
GeoTom wrote:
Hey thanks for the kind words Tazz, Karen and justybug. Kathleen- Not sure if bringing a dog up Naches Peak would be a good idea. For one, I am pretty sure that you cross into Mt. Rainier National Park when you are on the west side of the ridge. It is also fairly difficult right at the top. My dog has been up some decent scrambles, but I was glad I left him in the tent with Dani (he was sleepy anyway). The Naches Peak Loop is great for dogs, but only the eastern half of course.
Yes there is a no dogs sign clearly marking the boundary. But you can take a dog down to Dewey Lake from the east side.

Curtissimo

Curtissimo
PostSun Sep 09, 2007 9:30 pm 
great report, Geo Tom. i had the exact same expierience this weekend too. it's a bit of a let down but it's good to be alive! i love your Tahoma references too! The Mountaineers should publicly apologize for their part in promoting all the insipid anglo names on our mountains. if you're at all interested in the topic of cascade mountain names, i would reccomend this book for your winter reading list: http://www.amazon.com/Saddle-Canoe-Equestrian-Travel-Classics/dp/1590480643/ref=cm_lmf_tit_1/105-0897221-6734848