Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Torn Rotator Cuff
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
solohiker

solohiker
PostThu Sep 13, 2007 8:20 pm 
fwiw - As a result of the ski accident I could not lift my arm (it wasn't just painful, the shoulder simply would not function) more than a 20 degree angle away from my body without reaching across and using my other arm to lift the bad one. I opted to go in for an MRI to take a look at the damage after 8 wks of PT didn't improve the situation. I would guess that if your range of motion is not as severly limited you'd have a better chance of letting "wait and see" work. Mostly it's a good idea to have an orthopedic doc you really trust.

I have never been lost, but I'll admit to being confused for several weeks. - Daniel Boone
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Canuck

Canuck
PostTue Apr 28, 2009 9:36 am 
So I'm dredging this old thread up to see what happened with your shoulder, Spotly. Did you end up in PT, surgery, etc? I believe I have the same thing now, based on what I could find out on google. I have an appointment with the ortho on Friday morning. I got knocked down a few weeks ago, and haven't had much range of motion at all in my right arm. Hurts like an SOB, all the time. Can't sleep on that side, can't lift my arm, can't reach behind my back, can't do much of anything. Even typing, and shifting gears in the car makes the darn thing ache. And sometimes while doing various things, I feel a snap in that general area, then it hurts more. Yikes! Anyway I'm thinking about options, just in case the ortho suggests surgery. I'm not at all excited about that, especially in the spring (and especially as I drive a stick & mostly type for a living). I'll try PT first if possible - that sounds incredibly painful though. I cannot even get my arm behind my back to put my own bra on, so the idea of forced therapy makes me sweat a little. frown.gif Let me know how it went for you!!

nuclear_eggset

nuclear_eggset
PostTue Apr 28, 2009 12:02 pm 
Canuk, while waiting for the appointment, you might consider seeing if you can get in with a good chiropractor who can help. Mine has taped my shoulder up before, with kinesio tape (the stuff the beach volleyball players were wearing in the olympics); offers a bit of support and helps with the pain (and some circulation, depending on the taping method). (I also tape my toes, feet, knees, back, and elbows. smile.gif)

Spotly

Spotly
PostTue Apr 28, 2009 12:27 pm 
Mine finally healed up. It took nearly a year to completely heal. If your doc perscribes it, PT is an absolute must. Not so much the office visits (though that's where you learn the exercises) but mostly, keep up with it between visits. If you don't, you can lose range of motion. I had issues with doing three office visits per week, which is what was recommended. After a few weeks of that ($12 per visit), I realized that I wasn't getting any more from it than I would with a once per week visit. My progress was due to taking the exercise they showed me and doing them every day between the weekly visits. I also found that some therapists suck. I had one that kept reinjuring me on each visit because she would overextend my range. I dumped her quickly. Emotionally, don't lose hope. A torn rotator takes time to heal and you might sometimes start feeling like it's never going to happen. I reached a point where I just couldn't drive by the local crag anymore - the sight of wam granite made me feel sorry for myself so I avoided it LOL. As far as the bra strap thing. It didn't cause me any issues but I may have been more motivated than most smile.gif Seriously though, pick up the kind that connect up front. That stick shift might be an issue. Ask your doc about it specifically. It could be a source of reinjury. I slept on the couch when mine flared up at night. The extra cushioning really helped - along with strategic positioning of pillows. Keep yer chin up and let us know how it progresses. ADDED: PT should not be painful. They only pushed me to the point of slight discomfort. I believe pain means you're reinjuring it. Perhaps for someone who has already healed but has lost range - maybe I could see it being painful to get that range back, or at least more uncomfortable. I'm no expert for sure, but that's my take based on what my therapist told me.

Tazz

Tazz
PostTue Apr 28, 2009 1:08 pm 
bawl.gif I have one and more. I hurts...for 4 months now! bawl.gif I hoping to go the same direction as you Tim. I still have to go in but I have no insurance as I don't have a job right now. mad.gif It would be nice to get physical therapy.

Canuck

Canuck
PostTue Apr 28, 2009 1:21 pm 
Thanks. I had PT after foot surgery, and that sucked. It works though. I'm a huge fan of PT. I'm hoping that's what I end up doing - I am really not interested in surgery. But I keep reading that's the best option for these types of "traumatic" injuries (as opposed to worn out rotator cuffs). I'm glad you're all healed up, with PT. That's encouraging news!! Are you 100% back to normal? Still avoiding the local crag, or have you conquered it? If I ever find that goose that knocked me over, I'm going to have one tasty meal that night. devilsmile.gif (yeah, I'm just kidding. I bet they taste gross anyway and are riddled with disease). I find it ironic that I regularly camp in the presence of wild bears (and cougars, I assume, although I've never seen one), and yet it's a flippin' Canada goose that injures me, 500 feet from my car. embarassedlaugh.gif

Spotly

Spotly
PostTue Apr 28, 2009 1:22 pm 
Tazz..dudette, if I hear about you climbing at Vantage, you'll be sorry. I'll stuff your chalk bag with rocks and put Vaseline in your rock shoes smile.gif

Spotly

Spotly
PostTue Apr 28, 2009 1:28 pm 
Canuck wrote:
Are you 100% back to normal? Still avoiding the local crag, or have you conquered it?
I am climbing again and actually got in some challenging trad routes last year. I avoid the desperat moves on sport and high bouldering problems though. The desire to not fall causes me to hold on at all costs - not so good for the shoulder smile.gif

Tazz

Tazz
PostTue Apr 28, 2009 1:34 pm 
Spotly wrote:
Tazz..dudette, if I hear about you climbing at Vantage, you'll be sorry. I'll stuff your chalk bag with rocks and put Vaseline in your rock shoes smile.gif
but are not gonna be there... tongue.gif bart.gif or is that you with the bag over your head?

Spotly

Spotly
PostTue Apr 28, 2009 1:59 pm 
I once drove a semi from Chicago to Seattle to deliver a single antelope decoy. Making slippery feet is much more fun. Do the math smile.gif

Tazz

Tazz
PostTue Apr 28, 2009 2:55 pm 
lol.gif up.gif I will be good to it! No wait I am gonna bang out some 5.10s! see ya there! winksmile.gif

Spotly

Spotly
PostTue Apr 28, 2009 3:04 pm 
I wish but duty calls at home. If I get this stupid sprinkler system done though, that's the last big honey-do of the year...or so she says.

Tazz

Tazz
PostTue Apr 28, 2009 3:14 pm 
yeah i figured if you could make it you would. I will take care of it. smile.gif

Canuck

Canuck
PostFri May 01, 2009 9:55 am 
I think I'm lucky in some respects - I saw the orthopedist this morning, who took x-rays and found a crack in my upper arm bone. He doesn't think it's a rotator cuff injury but in a few weeks, if there is zero improvement (which would be nearly 2 months after the injury), he'll do an MRI to rule it out, but said the crack in the bone would cause all the pain I've got. So it's good, cause I won't have to think about surgery or anything like that, but bad, cause shoulders take a long time to heal. frown.gif Anybody wanna go goose hunting? devilsmile.gif

Spotly

Spotly
PostFri May 01, 2009 2:47 pm 
Congratulations? smile.gif Now that you know and know to be careful with it, hopefully it'll start healing quickly.