Forum Index > Trip Reports > TNAB Gets Smoked on Rattlesnake Ledge (now with words)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Yet

Yet
PostFri Sep 14, 2007 12:00 am 
End-of-Season Cookout at Rattlesnake Ledge, 09/13/07 by Yet, Guest TR writer One and twenty TNAB'ers came out for this fun event: Alexei (Magellan) Carla (dicey), Roland, Anne Chris (Magnum) Chris M & Joan Dave & Christine (Tread Wells) Don (Malachai Constant) John (moosefish) & Hiker Henry Joseph (GQ Hiker) Larry Nicolai (twodogdad) Steve N (The Phantom) & Laura, Chris, Corinn Yet & Mark (Mesahchie Mark) Plus Tokul, Digger, Boon, and Dock! Most of the crew bypassed Eastgate and chose to congregate at the trailhead. I tried to catch Joseph and Mark at Eastgate myself, which was a little ambitious since I didn't even leave home until 4:30 pm. Still, I pulled up right behind them at the TH parking lot. Perfect timing! Our newest and youngest TNAB'er joined us for the evening's festivities!
dicey runs up to greet Hiker Henry, the newest and youngest TNAB hiker! Oh, and moosefish and Tokul, too. ::)
dicey runs up to greet Hiker Henry, the newest and youngest TNAB hiker! Oh, and moosefish and Tokul, too. smile.gif
Tokul and Digger sniff-out
Tokul and Digger sniff-out
This TNAB is different from previous ones; it has a nice and mellow feel, no rush. Spent some time at the trailhead divvying up and organizing grill parts.
How many TNABers does it take to load up grill parts on Chris' back?
How many TNABers does it take to load up grill parts on Chris' back?
A lot!
A lot!
And more.
And more.
The early group was hiking by 6 pm. More people would trickle in later. The pace was nice and easy, maybe because most of the guys were weighed down with awkward grill parts. embarassedlaugh.gif
Early group heading up.
Early group heading up.
We reached our destination at 6:50. Mark found the perfect spot for the grill. Various treats and libations were brought to light (or what we had of it).
Mesahchie Chef
Mesahchie Chef
The Chef and his assistant.
The Chef and his assistant.
Deeeelicious!
Deeeelicious!
The Phantom did not get lost on this hike, proving that he is real. I even had a conversation with him. An important thing to note; he likes thick slices of mozzarella cheese on his special burgers. But wait! Not only is The Phantom real. He speaks! As evidenced by his question, "Does Mark meat eat?" Yes, Mark meats eat.
The Phantom
The Phantom
The Tread Wells know how to attend a cookout in style! Not only did they bring lawn chairs, they were also smart to bring extra layers, which they generously shared with those foolish enough to think that this was only Rattlesnake Ledge and forgot to pack properly for a hike. huh.gif
Dave and Chris arrive!
Dave and Chris arrive!
Roughing it.
Roughing it.
What else is in that bottomless pack of Dave's?
What else is in that bottomless pack of Dave's?
Rattlesnake Ledge, for a short hike, boasts excellent views.
On a good day, Fuller Mtn's silhouette is visible (on the left).
On a good day, Fuller Mtn's silhouette is visible (on the left).
But not this evening. Nothing but mist and gray. But that didn't stop this crowd from having a blast, regardless. We stayed as long as we could. Nobody kept track of the time, Mark says over an hour, at least. It was dark when we broke camp. It was dark when we hiked out. It was dark when we reached the trailhead. Not having TNAB'ed in two weeks; I forgot my headlamp! Mark gave me his while he stumbled around in the dark. The likely fact is that I was just so excited that I could go to the cookout that when I switched packs, I didn't switch the contents. But, if one is to forget one's headlamp, this is the perfect trail for it. The trail is wide enough in most spots that Mark and I were able to walk side by side and really, one light was more than enough. I cherished every second of that hike back. We reached the trailhead much too soon. Reunited with everyone else at the cars, we hung around as long as we could. Maybe people were too full to move? But for me, I just didn't want to leave. Because leaving would mean, it's over. For now. Until next time, TNAB! More pics, and some others here:
This way to the cookout!
This way to the cookout!
Magellan and dicey could not resist the cuteness. They flanked moosefish who has Hiker Henry in tow, plus Tokul the trail dog.
Magellan and dicey could not resist the cuteness. They flanked moosefish who has Hiker Henry in tow, plus Tokul the trail dog.
Our very own GQ Hiker Joe standing next to two anonymous hiker ladies.
Our very own GQ Hiker Joe standing next to two anonymous hiker ladies.
Can you spot the grill?
Can you spot the grill?
Burger Center
Burger Center
Paper towel, beer, and shampoo?
Paper towel, beer, and shampoo?
Chris, Larry & Joan
Chris, Larry & Joan
dicey and her friend
dicey and her friend

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostFri Sep 14, 2007 1:25 am 
In the picture titled "Chris, Larry and Joan", Chris looks like Jack Nicholson in The Shining. "Here's Johnny!" lol.gif Sounds like a good time was had by all.

Opus
Wannabe

Opus
Wannabe
PostFri Sep 14, 2007 8:17 am 
Looks like fun! Have you guys had a BBQ up there before? I remember being up on the second ledge a few years ago watching a big group with a grill.

Mesahchie Mark
A Lerxst

Mesahchie Mark
A Lerxst
PostFri Sep 14, 2007 12:34 pm 
Opus wrote:
Looks like fun! Have you guys had a BBQ up there before? I remember being up on the second ledge a few years ago watching a big group with a grill.
Opus: This is at least the sixth year in a row we've had a BBQ on Rattlesnake Ledge. Love the pic - do you know what year it's from? It was a great party, even though I barely had time to look up from the grill. smile.gif Special thanks to Yet for "writing" the TR and playing grill assistant (although I think she just wanted to be near a heat source;)). The weather was weird, but the attitude was awesome!

Cheers, Mesahchie Mark
Opus
Wannabe

Opus
Wannabe
PostFri Sep 14, 2007 12:54 pm 
We saw that group June 2004. We were perched up on the second ledge, envious while we ate our cold bagels and smoked salmon. lol.gif And wondering how you guys packed out the hot coals too.

Mesahchie Mark
A Lerxst

Mesahchie Mark
A Lerxst
PostFri Sep 14, 2007 1:08 pm 
June'04? That wasn't TNAB, then. Too funny, I swore I could see myself in the pic! embarassedlaugh.gif All of our cookouts on the Ledge occur in Sept. In June, we party on Granite Mountain! Cheers, -Mark

Cheers, Mesahchie Mark
Yet

Yet
PostFri Sep 14, 2007 1:23 pm 
I thought that was Larry near the edge! But what do I know, this is only my first year with TNAB. smile.gif Did someone take a photo of the "spread?" I took cover by the grill the whole time to keep warm (and was forced into slave labor). embarassedlaugh.gif Never made it to the other side. Thanks to Magnum for circulating the shrimp cocktail! And Magellan's guacomole was so yummy, good golly Miss Molly! Thanks Larry for saving me some! smile.gif

Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostFri Sep 14, 2007 11:50 pm 
I had more fun last night than should legally be allowed. We laughed and we ate and we laughed and we ate. There may have been a drink or two somewhere. wink.gif I almost didn't go, I felt so crappy. I am sure glad I did. If you go with TNAB I guarantee you will have a good time. If not, we will refund your money. lol.gif It was great meeting some new people, some of them first-timers. 21 in all, and enough food for 40! Yet listed the most important part of the trip, all the people. Allow me to list the next most important part, the food! chow.gif We had guacamole, chips, pasta salad, shrimp w/cocktail sauce, potato salad, veggie burgers, hot dogs, corn on the cob, chicken-apple sausage, hot links, steak burgers, cherry pie, and some very famous brownies. We even had bowls, forks, napkins and condiments. Pass the grey poupon, please. There was also Brokers whiskey, Foster Lager, some microbrew, and more whiskey. There was probably more food, but I just couldn't eat any more. pig.gif Before I forget, at some point I was pimped by Joseph. I went freelance before any money changed hands. Somehow, I avoided the spanking machine. Food lethargy, I think. I wub.gif TNAB!

Yet

Yet
PostSat Sep 15, 2007 12:33 pm 
Magellan wrote:
I almost didn't go, I felt so crappy. I am sure glad I did.
I'm glad you went so I could give you your birthday hug. agree.gif You forgot to list the Kisses...the ones nobody wanted! shakehead.gif

ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!

ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!
PostSat Sep 15, 2007 1:23 pm 
Happy B-day magellan! Looks like a rocking time..my kind of bar-b-q up.gif

"If you're not living good, you gotta travel wide"...Bob Marley
Yet

Yet
PostSun Sep 16, 2007 1:19 pm 
Mesahchie Mark wrote:
Special thanks to Yet for "writing" the TR..."
Okay, I added some words. tongue.gif

Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostSun Sep 23, 2007 1:00 am 
Thanks for the update Yet. Nice storytelling!