Forum Index > Trip Reports > Elfin Lakes & Beyond - Garibaldi Park Squamish BC
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
David¹
Token Canadian

David¹
Token Canadian
PostTue Sep 11, 2007 9:13 am 
In an effort to get the most out of the endangered species known as a sunny summer weekend I decided to travel light & fast and fully explore the area beyond Elfin Lakes. I debated taking a bike but after reaching Elfin Lakes in just over two hours I don’t regret not having one along.
Elfin Lakes
Elfin Lakes
Elfin Lakes
Elfin Lakes
However there is one thing I do regret and that’s climbing Little Diamond Head. Presently there is a small but nasty snowfield at the top of the Saddle that probably discourages most hikers from going on the fool’s errand to this crumbling pile of sand & loose gravel. The initial part of the ridge is enticing with its views of Howe Sound, its own small lake and desirable campsites. From there you need to assault a never-ending talus field so miserable that marmots & pikas shun it. Sometimes that goes with the territory however the views here are no better than from the Saddle and the ‘summit’ is so loose that it’s would be perilous to try and stand upon it for long.
Graibaldi from the Saddle
Graibaldi from the Saddle
Atwell Peak
Atwell Peak
In contrast the views from the Opal Cone are fabulous. The clouds had dissipated enough by late afternoon that I was able to see most of Garibaldi and the surrounding Mountains. I had the view all to myself which was cool
Garibaldi from Opal Cone
Garibaldi from Opal Cone
Garibaldi Neve from the Opal Cone
Garibaldi Neve from the Opal Cone
The trail from here was completely snow covered, a bit of a lake is starting to form which many people mistake for the Rampart Ponds, (those are actually much farther down the trail). Fortunately a lone sole was hiking out at that time and I was able to follow his tracks across the snowfield. Then came the long descent down to Zigzag Creek, a rocky defile similar to Ring Creek but thankfully free from snow. I got my feet damp both times I crossed it but then I was only wearing trail runners. I had dinner up on the ridge near the ponds; all the clouds were gone and I was finally able to get unobstructed views of the mountain. I eagerly anticipated sunrise, as I knew that’s when the best light would be hitting the mountain. I was up by 6am and back at the ponds by 7. For once there were absolutely no clouds and thus no ‘colour’ in the sunrise so I had to settle for alpenglow. Considering that I was only using the kit lens and not carrying a tripod I can’t really be upset with the results. I think Karen was impressed enough that she will make it up there one day and get the most out of this wonderful spot.
Sunrise1 @ Rampart Ponds
Sunrise1 @ Rampart Ponds
Sunrise2 @ Rampart Ponds
Sunrise2 @ Rampart Ponds
Sunrise3 @ Rampart Ponds
Sunrise3 @ Rampart Ponds

Warning! Posts may contain traces of sarcasm. Hiking Website: http://members.shaw.ca/karenanddavid/Index.htm
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Don

Don
PostTue Sep 11, 2007 10:18 am 
Sweet David! It looks like it was worth getting your feet wet! Hey, now that you are becoming so accomplished with the camera, what is Karen going to use upon her return? A 40D? hockeygrin.gif

ree

ree
PostTue Sep 11, 2007 1:16 pm 
Very nice pictures! (Thanks for not putting a watermark on them!) Looks gorgeous. Makes me want to take a trip up there.

Jason Hummel

Jason Hummel
PostTue Sep 11, 2007 1:30 pm 
Awesome. I was in canada myself and will be back in october. I may have to stop by garabaldi. Thanks for the story and pics.

Trevor

Trevor
PostTue Sep 11, 2007 6:21 pm 
Awesome area. Thanks for the post, David.

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostTue Sep 11, 2007 6:28 pm 
Thats a neat angle on the mountain - don't see many shots actually focusing on Atwell from that area (particularly around the Elfins). Good stuff D.

Rich Baldwin
Mister Eddie

Rich Baldwin
Mister Eddie
PostTue Sep 11, 2007 7:10 pm 
Beautiful, David!

Was you ever bit by a dead bee?
ree

ree
PostWed Sep 12, 2007 7:53 am 
How did you deal with your food? Hang it or cannister it?

David¹
Token Canadian

David¹
Token Canadian
PostWed Sep 12, 2007 8:13 am 
ree wrote:
How did you deal with your food? Hang it or cannister it?
Neither. There wasn't anywhere to hang it anyway. All I had left the second day was a bag of trail mix (unopened) and one granola bar.

Warning! Posts may contain traces of sarcasm. Hiking Website: http://members.shaw.ca/karenanddavid/Index.htm
silly_traveler
~ roaming ~

silly_traveler
~ roaming ~
PostThu Sep 13, 2007 2:50 pm 
Beautiful pictures smile.gif I really like the ones of Elfin Lakes up.gif

♫ You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. And you're the one who will decide where you'll go. Oh the places you'll go. - Dr. Seuss
Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostFri Sep 14, 2007 11:13 pm 
Gorgeous pics as always David! Glad you made it out...Garibaldi looks like phenomenal country! up.gif up.gif

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
seawallrunner
dilettante

seawallrunner
dilettante
PostSat Sep 15, 2007 8:09 am 
How did you deal with your food? Hang it or cannister it? ree, most Elfin Lakes campers will hang their food inside of the nearby cabin. The cabin also features bunk beds on the second floor (33 spaces, no reservations) for those not wishing to drag a tent up the 11km trail to the cabin. For those wishing to make the trip - it's an immensely popular trail in the summer months, the best time to visit is between now and late October, when the hordes thin, there are fewer bugs and the colours turn to deep reds and blues. In the wintertime, it's a popular place for skiers and snowshoers. I was up at Elfin on the same weekend as David, but on a day hike with a couple of friends. We were told by the ranger that 90 (!!) campers were in the Elfin Lakes area, either camping or staying at the hut.