Forum Index > Trip Reports > Baker Lake (Keechelus Ridge) - 2007.09.09 (kids hike)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
moosefish
I am the fish

moosefish
I am the fish
PostMon Sep 10, 2007 10:53 pm 
I took my two girls (4.5 and 2.5 years) and dog (7.5 years) to Baker Lake on Keechelus Ridge on Sunday. We saw four truckloads of berry pickers and with good reason. Berries were EVERYWHERE, but some tasted awful. Not that my kids could tell. I was really worried what the result of all the berries was going to be, but in the end nothing bad happened. Baker Lake is an easy little hike for little legs. The trail is about half a mile and 250 feet of gain including climbing up to a knoll overlooking Little Kachess Lake. The lake itself had a sandy bottom (where we were) and looks like it'd be great for wading or swimming, but we were there early so it was too cold for getting in. (Didn't stop the dog, though.) The downside is, of course, the freakishly huge radio tower on the ridge above the lake. Oh well.
more

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Dave Workman

Dave Workman
PostTue Sep 11, 2007 4:34 am 
100_1775
100_1775
Looking down at the lake from near the radio tower, up in huckleberry heaven. Looks like you had a far nicer day than I did ten days ago. Glad your kids had a good time.

"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted." - D.H. Lawrence
Hiker Mama

Hiker Mama
PostTue Sep 11, 2007 9:53 am 
Excellent! Looks like a fun day all around. I've been itching to get out in this gorgeous weather, but alas, school started. frown.gif It makes me so happy to see other folks out with their little ones, teaching them early. up.gif Those huckleberry hands are precious!

My hiking w/ kids site: www.thehikermama.com
Dave Workman

Dave Workman
PostMon Sep 17, 2007 10:35 am 
Just out of curiosity, where did you park?

"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted." - D.H. Lawrence
Slim
This space for rent

Slim
This space for rent
PostMon Sep 17, 2007 12:33 pm 
That looks like blaze orange flagging tape for your daughters' hair ribbons ... Fashionable, functional, and thrifty. lol.gif

"Lean mean money-making-machines serving fiends"
moosefish
I am the fish

moosefish
I am the fish
PostMon Sep 17, 2007 6:36 pm 
On the TOPO map there's a dashed road that gets close on the north side before turning away to the northeast. The trail starts right there so that's where we parked. 47 21.276N, 121 18.049W (give or take) As for the flagging tape... It seemed a great way to keep an eye on them as they bounced around through the brush. hockeygrin.gif