Forum Index > Trip Reports > Echo Rock 9-15-07
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
TrailPair

TrailPair
PostSun Sep 16, 2007 6:12 pm 
Three years ago, on our way to do Observation Rock, we spotted a perfect campsite, which we have wanted to visit ever since. We decided to take a chance on the weather on Saturday morning. After stopping at the cloudy Carbon River RS for a cross-country camping permit, we were pleasantly surprised to arrive at a sunny Mowich Lake. We were above the clouds, and there must have been a temperature inversion, because it was a balmy 60 degrees. We started on the unmaintained trail to Knapsack Pass, which is found just left of the guard station. Quickly the trail takes you to beautiful alpine meadows. From the pass the route drops steeply on scree, and then goes through a boulder field. There are some misleading cairns, but we soon discovered that the best route stays high on the slope. Once you reach the shoulder of Mt. Pleasant the trail resumes, and intersects the Wonderland trail at about 6060ft. We turned left, climbed about 250ft to the highpoint where the boot trail for Echo/Observation begins. Most of this trail is easy to follow, with a little route finding through a few small boulder fields.
Fay Peak and Mowich Lake from Knapsack Pass.
Fay Peak and Mowich Lake from Knapsack Pass.
Route across boulders below Knapsack Pass.
Route across boulders below Knapsack Pass.
Spray Park
Spray Park
Four hours after leaving Mowich Lake we set up camp. We headed towards the Echo-Observation col. The Flett glacier is a mess! It has runnels, small crevasses, and we could hear a river running under it! We stayed to the south side to avoid the river, and needed crampons to ascend the icy snow. We noticed that swinging even farther south we could find better snow for the descent. From the col Observation Rock was looking pretty bony. It has way less snow that last time we were there, and that was is Oct. 2004. Ice climbers enjoy climbing the north face, but saw little ice today. We turned north, ascended to the shoulder of Echo. From here it looked difficult, but turned out to be not too bad! First we crossed boulders to an apparent ramp, and then we found a "boot path" that lead to the top. The sunset was fantastic! Three other backpackers camped below us. Apparently they were to be joined by 8 other mountaineers for an ice climb on Observation. Unfortunately, Sunday morning the fog engulfed the mountain! It made route finding on the way out interesting. We returned via the Wonderland trail, getting back to Mowich Lake three hours after breaking camp. Gorgeous trip and fun scramble!
On Echo Rock
On Echo Rock
K on Flett Glacier
K on Flett Glacier
A sea of clouds.
A sea of clouds.
Tarn of Flett Glacier
Tarn of Flett Glacier
Mt. Rainier from shoulder of Echo
Mt. Rainier from shoulder of Echo
Sunset from campsite
Sunset from campsite
Trail to Echo
Trail to Echo
Observation Rock from col.
Observation Rock from col.
South side of Echo Rock
South side of Echo Rock
Flett Glacier
Flett Glacier
SW side of Echo Rock
SW side of Echo Rock
Bob on the summit of Echo Rock
Bob on the summit of Echo Rock
Sunset on Echo Rock from campsite
Sunset on Echo Rock from campsite
Terminus of Flett Glacier
Terminus of Flett Glacier

This thing called work is interfering with my play
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
the Zachster

the Zachster
PostSun Sep 16, 2007 6:22 pm 
Nice report, looks like a great trip! I skipped Echo the last time we were in there, partly because it looked like just a big ole pile of loose rock. Did you have any concerns with loose rock/rockfall?

"May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am"
TrailPair

TrailPair
PostSun Sep 16, 2007 7:06 pm 
the Zachster wrote:
Nice report, looks like a great trip! I skipped Echo the last time we were in there, partly because it looked like just a big ole pile of loose rock. Did you have any concerns with loose rock/rockfall?
Yea, it is a big ol' pile of loose lava cinders eek.gif and we did have concerns about the loose rock dizzy.gif ....but it turned out to be not as bad as we expected. The route was pretty easy to follow...and it was fun. agree.gif We were especially cautious on the downclimb huh.gif

TrailPair

TrailPair
PostSun Sep 16, 2007 7:08 pm 
Shacknasty Jim wrote:
Whoa, what a beautiful group of photos. The sunset pic and the pair of low cloud snaps are particularly fine. I've been up by that tarn when clouds blew in and struggled returning to my campsite 500' below.
It seemed that while the rest of the world was engulfed in dense clouds, we were above it basking in marvelous sunshine and warm temperatures cool.gif .....until Sunday morning when the cold, misty, fog blew in shakehead.gif

twodogdad

twodogdad
PostSun Sep 16, 2007 9:03 pm 
The stark lines of "Trail to Echo" are magnificent--and the title itself, which can be read in more ways than one. I sure missed this outing (though the boys and I had a pretty good time at dog-friendly Alta). N

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostMon Sep 17, 2007 9:17 am 
Great pics and colors. That glacier looks user friendly. hockeygrin.gif

Living in the Anthropocene
Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger

Bryan K