Forum Index > Trip Reports > Akula's homecoming ONP Grand Valley-Grand Pass 9/13-15 07
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
treasureblue
Distant Cousin

treasureblue
Distant Cousin
PostTue Sep 18, 2007 8:46 am 
Akula has been planning an Olympic multi-day hike for us during his last several months at sea. He had many options in mind, but having never been backpacking in the Hurricane Ridge area, we chose this one. Glad we did. What a great trip. We stopped at the WIC headquarters and were talked into toting a bear canister for the hike. We were considering hiking into Cameron Basin, where canisters are required. We were testing out two new packs and soon discovered that these packs weren't designed for carrying bear canisters. Akula had several colorful metaphors to share about the joy of carrying a canister with an Osprey Atmos 50 (more on that in Akula's gear report). The drive to Obstruction Point offered some beautiful views into the heart of the Olympics. Mount Olympus was out in all her glory.
Olympics Grand Pass 09-07 001
Olympics Grand Pass 09-07 001
Olympics Grand Pass 09-07 005
Olympics Grand Pass 09-07 005
Olympics Grand Pass 09-07 008
Olympics Grand Pass 09-07 008
We were surprised to see the parking lot so full on a Thursday. We departed Obstruction Point on the Grand Lakes trail at about 11:00 a.m. Despite all of the cars in the lot, we encountered no one all the way to Moose Lake. The trail begins on a high ridge, offering outstanding views of the mountains and the Lillian River Valley, and then drops down a series of long, steep switchbacks to the Badger Valley trail junction. As we passed Grand Lake, Moose Lake, then Gladys Lake we found it difficult not to linger at each one; they were sparkling gems in a tapestry of late summer color. Though most were past their prime, there were still several varieties of flowers in bloom. Harebell, Yarrow, Aster, Thistle, Indian Paintbrush and yellow daisies spotted the hillsides, and the Gentian is coming into bloom. We encountered several patches of low-growing blueberries - another distraction to keep us from moving on.
Mountain Bog Gentian 2
Mountain Bog Gentian 2
Grand Lake
Grand Lake
Moose Lake 2
Moose Lake 2
Olympics Grand Pass 09-07 022
Olympics Grand Pass 09-07 022
Akula in Blueberries, Grand Valley
Akula in Blueberries, Grand Valley
Blueberry Break TB
Blueberry Break TB
Olympics Grand Valley
Olympics Grand Valley
Olympics Grand Valley
Olympics Grand Valley
Eventually we broke away from Grand Valley and started the climb to Grand Pass. Our plan was to cross over Grand Pass and drop down to Cameron Creek trail for the night. But plans changed as we trudged the last half-mile to the pass; we were beat down tired. We hadn’t hydrated nearly enough that day, and we also hadn’t taken the elevation gain and loss into consideration. We camped in a flat area near a tarn, watching the sun set over the Lillian Valley, and then the stars emerge in a cloudless sky. Because of the incredible views, we, we opted to stay another day on Grand Pass and explore the area. We moved camp up about 150’ higher in elevation, adjacent to the pass and a picturesque tarn (which somehow neither of us managed to photograph!). We followed the way-trail up to the top of Grand View peak; which gave us some magnificent views of Mount Olympus, and Lillian Glacier and Lake in the foreground. Akula or I need to buy a better camera if we’ll ever produce the kind of pictures most of you folks do, but I’m posting what I’ve got and ask you to use your imagination to make up for fewer mega pixels and amateur photography!
Olympics Grand Pass 09-07 030
Olympics Grand Pass 09-07 030
Grand Pass and Moose Peak in the distance
Grand Pass and Moose Peak in the distance
Lake Lillian and Olympus from Grand view peak
Lake Lillian and Olympus from Grand view peak
Olympics Grand Pass 09-07 046
Olympics Grand Pass 09-07 046
Akula reserved us a room with a view, but this is more than I had hoped for!
Akula reserved us a room with a view, but this is more than I had hoped for!
Olympics Grand Pass 09-07 048
Olympics Grand Pass 09-07 048
Olympics Grand Pass 09-07 050
Olympics Grand Pass 09-07 050
We peered down into Cameron Valley and towards Cameron Basin (our intended destination) and vowed that we would plan another trip, likely with a third night’s stay, sometime in the future. We had met a lone hiker that morning, who was destined for Dose meadows; what a great trip he must have had!
Cameron Creek from Grand Pass with Cameron Basin in distance
Cameron Creek from Grand Pass with Cameron Basin in distance
We watched a helicopter rescue on Moose Peak later that afternoon, and then took a quick dip in that inviting, unphotographed tarn. The sunset was a bit more colorful Friday night, with a haze forming faint ribbons of color across the sky.
Sunset on Grand Pass 2 9/14
Sunset on Grand Pass 2 9/14
Afternoon on Grand Pass 9/14
Afternoon on Grand Pass 9/14
Our hike out Saturday morning was so much easier than the hike in. I guess we’d finally regained our trail-legs. Jim K mentioned in another thread that he’s seen a lot of mushrooms this year. We saw all colors, shapes and sizes here too; so thoughtfully arranged that I just had to pause and say “thanks”.
Shrooms 4
Shrooms 4
Shrooms Village
Shrooms Village
We saw little wildlife on Grand Pass; no bear and only a few hawks and ravens. A small animal (fox?) had inspected our campsite during the night, leaving a few prints. We’d been warned by another couple who had seen some “human” wildlife earlier that day (nude hiker), but were grateful NOT to have seen him. Once we reached Grand Valley, critters emerged, and we enjoyed watching a family of marmots near Gladys Lake. The valley is riddled with marmot holes. We also noted a covey of about 10 grouse busily clearing the low growing bushes of any blueberries. One fella was nice enough to pose for us.
Grouse in Blueberries 2
Grouse in Blueberries 2
Monkeyflower
Monkeyflower
Gladys Lake
Gladys Lake
We encountered several hikers Saturday, including a couple families with young kids. Most people were destined for Moose Lake. This was a such a nice late summer hike. It’s wonderful to be on the trails with Akula once again!
Akula - this is living
Akula - this is living

"Me thinks that the moment my legs begin to move, my thoughts begin to flow." ~Henry David Thoreau.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
reststep

reststep
PostTue Sep 18, 2007 2:33 pm 
Thanks for the great trip report and pictures from one of my favorite areas and welcome back Akula. I enjoyed your pictures and reports from your deployment.

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostTue Sep 18, 2007 2:46 pm 
Very nice. Love that area. Alot of great trips going on right now. up.gif up.gif

Living in the Anthropocene
Akula

Akula
PostTue Sep 18, 2007 3:21 pm 
That is a cup of Baileys and a fine cigar from just south of Florida in my hands. Even when roughing it in the outback, one has to have a few necessities and pleasures

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, dream, discover. -- Mark Twain
GeoTom

GeoTom
PostTue Sep 18, 2007 4:39 pm 
Akula wrote:
That is a cup of Baileys and a fine cigar from just south of Florida in my hands. Even when roughing it in the outback, one has to have a few necessities and pleasures
up.gif Just south of Florida... hmmm.gif

Knows literally nothing