Forum Index > Trip Reports > Chicken Soup (Tuck & Robin Lakes, Granite and Trico)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Yet

Yet
PostWed Sep 12, 2007 10:42 am 
Chicken Soup: A Story by a Peakbagger’s Girlfriend There is only one thing to do on a rare weekend off: go on an overnight trip with Mark. Only my second one this year, the first one being MSH in April. Destination? The fantastic four of Tuck, Robin, Granite, and Trico. A lot of things needed to happen before the weekend came around, however, as well as a lot of things that didn’t need to happen. By the time Friday rolled around..."I’m sick." Mark’s "NOOOOOOOoooooooooooo" echoed through the hills. “I’m not staying home to feed you chicken soup.” He’s got mountains in his blood. So I took a hefty dose of vitamin C, allergy meds, ordered myself to get better, made like Mohammed and went to the mountains with him. I want my chicken soup! Friday night found me fed with a hearty spaghetti dinner and in bed at a decent hour. Mark diligently stayed up packing our gear. Saturday, 09/08: I woke up feeling good! Grabbed some breakfast, drove to TH. The sun was out but the temps were sweet and cool. Just what the doctor ordered.
The first four miles were easy enough for this sick girl. The next two miles to Tuck Lake got a little bit interesting. But then I really loved the last two miles leading up to Robin Lake. I wanted rocks, I got rocks! I was so happy to be out there! Mark found us a nice little secluded campsite, set up camp, and fed me some lunch. The tent looked so cute, so inviting, I just had to go inside!
Naptime. Ssshhh...
Naptime. Ssshhh...
Ended up napping for about an hour. Refueled me just enough to tag Granite Mtn. At least that was the plan. It really was a nice little jaunt up there, until Mark decided we could save some time by climbing down a gully, crossing it, and climbing up some scree. I could be getting all the technical words all mixed up here, but I think you get the picture. He pointed down to some sketchy rocks and asked me what I thought about them? I shrugged and said “Fine.” And it was, until it wasn’t. I mean, I was cruising down those things, until I ran out of footholds. Long story short, we went back up the way we came, and got back on the trail. After I stopped shaking. So we had a little detour; hardly a surprise when one hikes with Mark. Never a dull moment! I love it. After the detour, we went for it. Made it to what we thought was the summit, which really was the false summit. Kept going to the true summit, which was really a lot closer than it seemed. Love it when that happens. Granite Mtn was tagged, Mark was happy, I was happy.
Short ridge walk to the true summit!
Short ridge walk to the true summit!
A Happy Mark on Granite Mtn
A Happy Mark on Granite Mtn
Attack of the long-legged hand monster!
Got back down to Robin Lake. By this time, the sun was spilling liquid 24K everywhere it touched upon.
I sat back to enjoy the marvelous views while Mark filtered some water.
Red & Gold
Red & Gold
In action.
In action.
Things were going swimmingly. I tried to help by handing Mark the Nalgenes that were filled. Except, “Ooops!” One of them fell in the lake. Mark, with a look of disbelief, paused only for a moment, dropped down, and fished the bobbing Nalgene out of the chilly water. Sorry, babe! A cold splash in the lake averted, we headed back to our private camp. Dinner was sumptuous. Chef Mark outdid himself! Appetizers, a hot vegetable lasagna meal for me, meat lasagna for him. Dark chocolate and Pinot Gris for dessert. Beautiful sunset, out in the middle of the mountains, lakes, and potholes. The first evening star was spotted. Closed my eyes and made a wish. What do you wish for when you already have everything you want?
Kitchen
Kitchen
Dusk
Dusk
Silhouettes
Silhouettes
Bedtime. Unlike MSH, it wasn’t wet, but it was cold and windy. Apparently, Mark forgot to pack the portable heater. I wish I could say that every time I opened my eyes during the night, I could see the stars, but I had to take my contacts off at some point, so all I could see were white blobs in the sky. Still, I knew where I was. And it was beautiful. Sunday, 09/09: My eyes were glued shut, my throat burned, and something took residence inside my chest where my lungs used to be. I fooled my body into thinking it wasn't sick yesterday, but not today. Mark asks if I was ready to do watch the sun rise on Trico. I grunt. He bags the bonus peak while I bag some bonus Zzzzzs. He wasn’t as slow as advertised, however. He was back in like an hour or something ridiculous like that! I took my time waking up. By the time I was ready to sit up, I was handed a steaming cup of mountain mocha. I also requested a hot towel, which I promptly received. Mark chose this moment to state the obvious, “You are so pampered.” Now, dear reader, tell me if you have ever been on a mountain, all crusty faced and wild haired, and have someone look at you like you are the most beautiful thing in the galaxy? Sweet, no doubt. But I think that boy is on drugs. Much later, we were packed and ready to hike out. Sunday was much warmer than Saturday, which made it less fun to hike out with only a fourth of a lung working. Still, I only whined once. I think. Again, I got to enjoy the rocks all the way to Tuck Lake. Yeah! But then my fun got interrupted with two miles of flying dust and hot air from Tuck Lake to the junction. Ugh! I was glad to be done with that part. The last 4 miles to the trailhead were pretty straightforward. We were back at the car around 2 pm or so, and just a bit later, enjoying some of the best fries ever in Ronald, Washington (Old No 3). I never did get my chicken soup. But that’s okay - I’m vegetarian, after all. But chicken soup being a metaphor for all things that make one happy? Well, I got that in spades. Sightings: Zero goats, two nwhikers. On the hike in, we met a lovely woman who screamed when she saw us, “You guys are from nwhikers!!” Before Mark and I had a chance to deny it, she identified us. Too late. She even pinned us down as being TNABers. Hi Toni! Come out, come out, wherever you lurk! biggrin.gif On the hike out, we met Damian and his son, enjoying the beautiful outdoors together.
Some Stats: Hike in to Robin from TH: 4.5 hours Hike out from Robin to TH: 3.75 hours Granite: 100 hours Trico: Zzzz… Mark’s pack: 32 lb Yet’s pack: 13 lb
day 1, going in
day 1, going in
descending Granite
descending Granite
day 2, going home
day 2, going home

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Sep 12, 2007 10:54 am 
Mark’s pack: 32 lb Yet’s pack: 13 lb What's up with that? Where's equal rights when you need them? Glad you had fun. lol.gif doh.gif moon.gif hockeygrin.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Yet

Yet
PostWed Sep 12, 2007 10:58 am 
The man insists. Who am I to refuse him? wink.gif

Mesahchie Mark
A Lerxst

Mesahchie Mark
A Lerxst
PostWed Sep 12, 2007 11:03 am 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
Mark’s pack: 32 lb Yet’s pack: 13 lb What's up with that? Where's equal rights when you need them?
mum.gif

Cheers, Mesahchie Mark
yukon222

yukon222
PostWed Sep 12, 2007 11:13 am 
Wow, I bet you are very glad that you went. What a waste it would have been to stay at home. Congratulations on making it up there and bringing back both of your lungs! It is a Wilderness area, you know. Leave no trace behind. winksmile.gif

ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!

ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!
PostWed Sep 12, 2007 11:14 am 
You so deserve to be pampered. Glad you got your "rock on".. the hike from Tuck to Robin sure is nice up.gif Want to lend your sherpa out? winksmile.gif

"If you're not living good, you gotta travel wide"...Bob Marley
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Sep 12, 2007 11:16 am 
Oops. I didnt realize that you werent feeling well. Why did Mark MAKE you carry anything at all? Bad boyfriend, bad......... moon.gif moon.gif moon.gif moon.gif moon.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Yet

Yet
PostWed Sep 12, 2007 11:28 am 
yukon222 wrote:
Wow, I bet you are very glad that you went. What a waste it would have been to stay at home.
Steve, very glad I went! It's funny really, Mark said in the car "I'm glad you decided to feel better..." embarassedlaugh.gif Thanks for threatening to kick my rear had I stayed home. You're a pal! smile.gif
ActionBetty wrote:
You so deserve to be pampered. Glad you got your "rock on".. the hike from Tuck to Robin sure is nice up.gif
Thanks AB! I loved loved loved the hike from Tuck to Robin. Reminded me a bit of our day in the Teanaways. Thought of you quite a bit, actually. smile.gif
ActionBetty wrote:
Want to lend your sherpa out? winksmile.gif
I sure could use some extra cash with nursing school right around the corner. Of course, you get the friends & family discount. wink.gif
Backpacker Joe wrote:
Why did Mark MAKE you carry anything at all?
embarassedlaugh.gif

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot
PostWed Sep 12, 2007 11:34 am 
Great report Yet. Glad you were able to make it up to Robin, and Mark got some summits.

“As beacons mountains burned at evening.” J.R.R. Tolkien
Yet

Yet
PostWed Sep 12, 2007 11:44 am 
Thanks, Matt.
Matt wrote:
and Mark got some summits.
And really, that's all that matters. wink.gif

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot
PostWed Sep 12, 2007 1:31 pm 
Yet wrote:
This picture could be open to questionable interpretations. Actually, it's a very cute composition of your shadows. But you each seem to have only one arm.

“As beacons mountains burned at evening.” J.R.R. Tolkien
wamtngal

wamtngal
PostWed Sep 12, 2007 2:16 pm 
What a great place to take your 2nd backpacking trip of the season...was up there Labor Day weekend, I just love the area. Too bad you were feeling crappy...but nice job pulling it off! And great pics! up.gif No goat though? There was one lone goat when we were up there, he was a lonely goat.

Opinions expressed here are my own.
Damian

Damian
PostWed Sep 12, 2007 9:22 pm 
A great surprise it was running into TNAB legends Yet and Mark. My 4th trip to T & R in the past 27 years, and the first in 13 years. The Robins are a magical place...
Robin Lake
Robin Lake
But the big secret are Granite Mtn Potholes a short pop over the hill..
Granite Mtn Pots 1
Granite Mtn Pots 1
Granite Mtn Pots 2
Granite Mtn Pots 2
Granite Mtn Pots 3
Granite Mtn Pots 3
But the real surprise came when I realized the only other person camping at upper Robin turned out to be a relative and great old childhood friend Terry, who I had not seen in years. What a treat that discovery was..
Damian & Terry
Damian & Terry

Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostWed Sep 12, 2007 9:54 pm 
Your TR's are like a great book. Action, romance, and really good looking people. biggrin.gif Feel better!!

ree

ree
PostThu Sep 13, 2007 7:53 am 
I agree. One of the best tr's I've read all summer. Nice job, Yet. Inspired by Putz's gorgeous pictures of Robin Lakes, Kleet and I went there after our adventure with AB. We went in the week before Labor Day (I'd never been), on a Tuesday and we marched out Thursday. Mid-week, great weather. Loved it. Didn't love the crowds or the bugs tho. Even midweek, almost every campsite was taken. And I couldn't believe the amount of mozzies for late Aug. But it was heavenly beautiful up there. We tooled around one day at Granite Potholes, and hiked up to Trico Mtn. That was really cool to read the summit register there. SO many nwhikers! Schmidts, M. Collins, Oren, Naturalbeing, Randy, and dear EDD. We kept looking for AB and Putz, but didn't spot their names. I drew our names in it... teehee. We also tooled around the lower lake in the curtis raft. That was a blast. up.gif No nakey swimming tho, a youth group of boys came marching in our last night and tramped through our camp, not once but twice!!! mad.gif
Hope I didn't hijack your thread too much, Yet. Everyone goes here, and I didn't want to start another thread. Plus, I'm kind of lazy.