Forum Index > Trip Reports > Sawtooth Lake and Craters o' Da Moon NM
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Arginine

Arginine
PostSat Sep 01, 2007 7:37 pm 
This is a belated report from my journeys last weekend (8/24-8/26) about Idaho. Thanks to those who responded to my earlier post for hike recommendations. Now on to the info. Flew into Boise and drove up to Stanley the next morning. I was about the only one on the road. The trip up Hwy 21 took about 2.5 hr. Got to the Iron Creek trailhead at 11am and set out. The original destination was Alpine Lake but I was making good time and felt well so I went all the way to Sawtooth Lake. Glad I did. Here are the pictures.
Meadow with Iron Creek
Meadow with Iron Creek
This is a meadow early on in the trail. The peak is not named according to my map.
Ridge above Iron Creek
Ridge above Iron Creek
This is just past the first set of switchbacks across a super hot south facing slope.
Sawtooth Lake
Sawtooth Lake
Sawtooth Lake North end. Peaks across the lake are not named on my map.
View towards Stanley
View towards Stanley
View down towards Stanley on the way back. The hike was pretty simple. Its flat at first then a few switchbacks, then flat through another meadow. Then it switchbacks all the way to Sawtooth Lake. The trail is pretty heavily used so I suggest going in the morning. On the way to Twin Falls I passed right by the fire above Ketchum. You could see flames from the road. Sorry, no pics, too many security types. After a wedding party in Twin Falls on Saturday I got up early and headed to COTM. On the way, I stopped for a sunrise shot outside Carey, ID.
Idaho Sunrise
Idaho Sunrise
The smoke from the fire enhanced the color a bit. Got to the trailhead at 7:30am. I was the ONLY person there! Headed out on the trail to Echo Crater. Very simple, yet beautiful hike. Sprawling views of open country. Plus, I was the only one there. Quiet. The trail is easy to find except in a few brushy areas. Just look for boot tracks and don't go wandering about. If neccesary climb up a hill a bit. You'll see the trail. Here's some shots.
Big Cinder Butte and Aa
Big Cinder Butte and Aa
Big Cinder Butte from the trailhead. See the lava. You get to cross it.
Echo Crater Trail
Echo Crater Trail
Nicely kept trail on the east side of Broken Top Butte.
Echo Crater
Echo Crater
Echo Crater in the distance. You bushwhack up it.
Trail Back to BCB
Trail Back to BCB
The trail back towards Big Cinder Butte. I had a trail guidebook called "Trails in Eastern Idaho". It was pretty good. Drove to Boise that afternoon and splashed in the river. Had dinner at TableRock Brewery.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostSun Sep 02, 2007 7:33 am 
I am always amazed to see beautiful pictures of Idaho. The only time I went there, I just drove through on the freeway down by Boise. So the only thing I've ever seen in Idaho is miles and miles of nothing at all. Literally, not a thing to see except brown dirt, horizon to horizon. Even when I took Amtrak through northern Idaho twice, it was nighttime both times so I saw nothing. One of these days I gotta get out there and see the good stuff. Thanks for the pictures, very nice, especially the Sawtooth trip.

mike

mike
PostSun Sep 02, 2007 12:08 pm 
Quote:
Literally, not a thing to see except brown dirt, horizon to horizon....
I'm coming to appreciate that more and more. Actually there is lots to see, it's just different. Nice to know there are open spaces left. Especially after a trip to Pugetropolis. Looking forward to my next visit to Brown Dirt, Horizon to Horizon in about a month. biggrin.gif

yew
non-technical

yew
non-technical
PostThu Sep 20, 2007 10:58 pm 
Good TR, Chuck. They wrapped up that wildfire west of Ketchum relatively quick. We were out there a week later than you and smoke was thankfully a non-issue just downwind.
Quote:
the only thing I've ever seen in Idaho is miles and miles of nothing at all. Literally, not a thing to see except brown dirt, horizon to horizon.
Seeing that is a great feeling. Atleast in this age with billions of humans, many with powerful technology, inhabiting nearly every corner of the planet.

"I aint jokin woman, I got to ramble...We gonna go walkin through the park every day." - Led Zeppelin