Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver
PostSun Sep 23, 2007 8:53 pm 
SUN Valley???
SUN Valley???
False advertising!!!
Trailhead crossing Trail Creek
Trailhead crossing Trail Creek
Well, I guess since this IS the first full day of Fall, we should expect a little different weather - - - but snow??? Jim K is visiting his brother and sister-in-law in Sun Valley and I've got a conference at the Sun Valley Inn - so it seemed logical to hit the trails. In preparation for a 3 or 4 day backpacking trip into the Sawtooth Mountains, we took a little warm-up hike to Proctor Mtn.
Trailhead to Proctor Mountain
Trailhead to Proctor Mountain
Supposedly 5 1/2 miles and 1700' of gain. Well, we decided to take the longer route and add a few additional "bumps" along the way. We got a Noonish start and it was a blistering 47 degrees and drizzling. Oh well, we're not going to melt. So off we headed - a little misguided in finding a way to cross Trail Creek, but we managed. Immediately we noticed a recent burn and the remnants of that
Recent burn
Recent burn
Large burn site
Large burn site
Heading towards Proctor
Heading towards Proctor
Trail with burn behind
Trail with burn behind
There are several trails that cross and converge - but we basically just kept heading towards what we thought was Proctor. The trail directions were a little sketchy - but they did talk about the first chair lift in the area - which actually is on Round Mountain and not Proctor.
Round Mountain ski lift remnants
Round Mountain ski lift remnants
Zoom on lift
Zoom on lift
We actually saw a few other crazy people out on the trail!
Another unstable hiker on the trail
Another unstable hiker on the trail
And, on occasion, we would get some views
Dividing point between burn and color
Dividing point between burn and color
On we continued - not really knowing where Proctor Mountain is - but the trail continued up -
A smallish trail marker
A smallish trail marker
At one point we reached a fork in the trail - one, a lower trail that seemed to head off into the trees, and another one that headed up - so up we headed! We reached a saddle between two bumps - it wasn't really clear which was the one we actually wanted - so we kept heading west/southwest and saw a cairn on the top of this one bump - must have been the viewpoint that the trail description mentioned. We did see what appeared to be a "summit" - but there was no obvious boot path - so we decided to create our own, by finding a ridge a little farther to the east and heading up. Easy enough - minimal rock scramble and a summit-looking point.
On top of Proctor Mountain
On top of Proctor Mountain
No summit register - and since the weather was so delightful, we decided to keep the visit brief. There were no views. We somehow were reminded of Bob and Kolleen!
Another Trail Pair Summit
Another Trail Pair Summit
Down we headed, back to the saddle, where we saw this trail we hadn't noticed on the way in - it went UP a hill to another high point, so up we went - and then up we went another 100' to another "summit" - Jim was afraid I would keep following the ridge bumps. But we stopped here, having gained about 300' or so from the saddle - then is when the weather really turned
Just another sunny day on the trail - note the snow falling!!!!!!
Just another sunny day on the trail - note the snow falling!!!!!!
OK - now it was snowing!!! We headed down, figuring we had experienced enough of a "warm up" for the backpack. We did stumble across a woman sitting at one trail junction (still raining/snowing, mind you) and she was on her cell phone! We figured that perhaps the reception was better here!! Continuing down, we reached another trail junction.
Heading towards Boundary
Heading towards Boundary
In all, we figured we did about 7 miles and 2300+' of gain. The good news is, it's supposed to warm up by Tuesday when we head out for the Sawtooths! Stay tuned for more next weekend!!!

Four-paw buddy lets me tag along!
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
yew
non-technical

yew
non-technical
PostMon Sep 24, 2007 3:00 am 
wow, the weather changed!
Wow, the weather really changed. We were out there 2 weeks ago and it was bone dry, windy, sunny and dusty!

"I aint jokin woman, I got to ramble...We gonna go walkin through the park every day." - Led Zeppelin
Grizzy
Yellow Cedar Hugger

Grizzy
Yellow Cedar Hugger
PostMon Sep 24, 2007 8:10 am 
I've been there many times at this time of the year....it is a glorious time to be there! Few people around, great foliage, and usually some good weather! Cold nights and warm days....MY favorite! up.gif up.gif I hope the weather takes a turn for the best for you up.gif hockeygrin.gif

All the birds have flown up and gone; A lonely cloud floats leisurely by. We never tire of looking at each other - Only the mountain and I. ~Li Po~
Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver

Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver
PostMon Sep 24, 2007 9:32 am 
SUN(?) Valley
yew_betula wrote:
Wow, the weather really changed. We were out there 2 weeks ago and it was bone dry, windy, sunny and dusty!
Yew & Grizzy - Yeah, that was the plan - great weather, no crowds! Good news, today it is absolutely gorgeous and supposed to get better by the time we hit the trail tomorrow. Even up in the mid-70s by Thursday. up.gif It is a gorgeous place and, with any luck, we will get some great fall colors. Stay tuned! -s.d.-

Four-paw buddy lets me tag along!