Forum Index > Trip Reports > Colockum Pass 10/6/07
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
whitebark

whitebark
PostSat Oct 06, 2007 11:18 pm 
Colockum Pass is not the way to go to Wenatchee if you want to get there quickly. The road is one continuous rock field and it is hard to go more than 10 mph. The north side of the pass is especially bad. You really need a high clearance vehicle, or a beater car that you don't care much about. I did not do much hiking up there, just was looking for some fall color. The larches were turning golden near the 5300' pass, as well as a few small aspen groves. The cloudy and cold weather was not the best for larch photography, unfortunately. Still I enjoyed the long drive through the strange desert / alpine terrain around Colockum Pass. Ramshackle homesteads at the start and finish of the road also are interesting to look at. Like everywhere in the West, there is an amazing amount of building going on in seemingly remote locations. I always wonder what the inhabitants do for a living.
Larch
Larch
Colockum Road II
Colockum Road II
Colockum Road
Colockum Road
Aspens
Aspens
Aspen Grove and Larch
Aspen Grove and Larch
Aspen Leaves
Aspen Leaves
Larches by the road
Larches by the road
Colockum Plaque
Colockum Plaque
These german shepherds think they own the road (and they do!)
Dogs on Road
Dogs on Road
With Social Security going bankrupt, I think that this is my future retirement home:
Dream Home
Dream Home
Dream Home 2
Dream Home 2

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostSun Oct 07, 2007 9:50 am 
I remember this stretch of road, but it was sunny the day I was there. wink.gif
I never risked Colockum in an ordinary passenger car, but the Forester had no trouble ....... although parts of it were definitely slow.

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
Dogpatch

Dogpatch
PostSun Oct 07, 2007 2:32 pm 
Oh wow, that's some road all right. Whitebark, you shot the stretches where it's actually a road - got any of the (nonexistent) north side of the road? We took my 83 Nissan wagon over it a couple years back. What a ride! No signs to tell you that the road completely disappears. You just sort of lurch over the top and start downhill - and the road disappears! It was sort of exhilarating, in a twisted sort of way. In my car, it wasn't an option to turn around. So forward we went. I wouldn't do it again. (We've been back, though, to camp on top - just didn't make the full circuit.)

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." – Groucho Marx
Tim and Angel
Angel now an Angel

Tim and Angel
Angel now an Angel
PostSun Oct 07, 2007 3:46 pm 
I sure liked reading your report and looking at the pictures. I took my Subaru Outback wagon through there a few months ago. I wanted to test it's durability and scope for new camping/hiking areas. I left Angel at home and just took a disposable camera (I have yet to develop). The north part of the road was so bad I was wondering If I was still on it. confused.gif I think in some places it took me 30 minutes just to navigate 20 ft. There were lots of big and loose rocks, not to mention potholes galore. It is a wonderful scenic drive. I actually drove around some of the "off roads" still green dot, though. Got lost and had to figure it out. There were a few courteous "ATVers" up there. No German Shepherds but a cow or two just roaming around. There is something different about that place. It seemed like it was the freshest air I have inhaled in a long time and was so quiet. The smell of Ponderosa Pine was nice. I like the area where you can pull off the road and look down at the Columbia River. I was swatting at bees a lot, but it was worth the scenery there. I too was surprised by some of the "housing" at the beginning of the road. Thanks for posting. up.gif

yew
non-technical

yew
non-technical
PostTue Oct 09, 2007 9:35 pm 
Quote:
Like everywhere in the West, there is an amazing amount of building going on in seemingly remote locations. I always wonder what the inhabitants do for a living.
It seems rural residential development is occurring at a rapid rate all over the US. It's even worse in other parts of the country like Arizona and in the mid-Atlantic Appalachians (areas I'm familiar with besides the Northwest). People sell their homes elsewhere for high prices then buy cheap rural land with lenient zoning requirements. Many are retirees with pensions and investments. Other people telecommute or are willing to commute long distances to work. They also build in rural areas because they see it as a financial investment for resale. Also, many tree farmers (family & companies), food farmers and ranchers are getting to retirement age, kids have moved on and it's more profitable to sell for development. It's all over if the area ends up in the Real Estate section of the New York Times uhoh.gif It's despairing to see all the rural building occur at such a rapid pace because it'll ruin habitat for wildlife with all the roads, yards, weeds, noise, etc.. Particularly despairing is the fact that this kind of development is nearly impossible to stop because it's "us". Living in a huge, ridgetop house (or a decrepit trailer) with a view, out in the country with elbow room is the American Dream. Sorry about the negativity and sermonizing in your wonderful TR.

"I aint jokin woman, I got to ramble...We gonna go walkin through the park every day." - Led Zeppelin