Forum Index > Trip Reports > A Kick in the Snowgr*ss? (Embarrassing Edit)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
cartman

cartman
PostMon Oct 01, 2007 4:51 pm 
Yana wrote:
dicey wrote:
Still haven't summited Snowgrass, but we got that pesky Ladies Peak knocked out, eh? dizzy.gif
Yeah. It's a shame there were no ladies around to enjoy it. On another random note, when I read the sentence above, my brain keeps trying to replace "out" with "up" for some reason. huh.gif
No comment.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Mesahchie Mark
A Lerxst

Mesahchie Mark
A Lerxst
PostMon Oct 01, 2007 5:06 pm 
Now I can't get the Beastie Boys song out of my head: "Hey, Ladies!" Thinking back on it, it's kinda funny because TDD was asking at one point where Ladies Peak was...

Cheers, Mesahchie Mark
Yet

Yet
PostMon Oct 01, 2007 5:14 pm 
Mesahchie Mark wrote:
Thinking back on it, it's kinda funny because TDD was asking at one point where Ladies Peak was...
Now that you are getting a GPS, you should be able to find it next time with no problem. And know that you are on it.

Sabahsboy

Sabahsboy
PostMon Oct 01, 2007 5:16 pm 
Snowgass
You folks have me pondering what I ascended way, way back in 1970's. I did the lazy way and spent a bunch of days wandering around. The view from summit to Glacier sticks in my mind. I have an enlargment and will take a look and see if I can figure out if I was really at Snowgrass. What I recall was a rocky summit with lots of room to lay down in the sun and enjoy a beautiful afternoon. Coming down, late sun gave the snowy slopes beautiful color, still etched in my memory.

Mesahchie Mark
A Lerxst

Mesahchie Mark
A Lerxst
PostMon Oct 01, 2007 5:16 pm 
Yet wrote:
Mesahchie Mark wrote:
Thinking back on it, it's kinda funny because TDD was asking at one point where Ladies Peak was...
Now that you are getting a GPS, you should be able to find it next time with no problem. And know that you are on it.
Ack! You're blowing my lo-tek cover! Maybe I won't get one now...:P

Cheers, Mesahchie Mark
Sabahsboy

Sabahsboy
PostMon Oct 01, 2007 6:29 pm 
Snowgrass
Photo of Snowgrass does look very familiar, sans snow fields. I think I was there at end of June. Maybe 1977 or '78. Later that summer did the loop over Chiwaukums and Icicle Ridge. That Ladies Peak looks might rugged! Scary!

yukon222

yukon222
PostMon Oct 01, 2007 6:45 pm 
Pütz-in-Boots wrote:
Anyway, here is a pic in good weather of the peak you did:
Yep, that is definitely it. Thanks for the picture! We went up the gully between the two peaks and then climbed up the taller one to the right. It was so cloudy/foggy that we couldn't really see much of anything farther to the right. Here's a quick summit video from the right side peak.

Mark Griffith
(Embrace yourself)

Mark Griffith
(Embrace yourself)
PostMon Oct 01, 2007 8:48 pm 
Great fall colors Yukon!

twodogdad

twodogdad
PostMon Oct 01, 2007 10:30 pm 
Yep, that is definitely it [...] We went up the gully between the two peaks and then climbed up the taller one to the right. Steve: Clarification, please (I'm going back, sooner or later, to finish the job): There was a gully in the middle of which I had to lift the dogs (so I remember it well): it seemed narrower than this one. It started more or less right after we contoured the cliffs around 7000 and eventually led to the broad ridge at 7300-7400, the end of which I could not see (that's where I turned back). Is this a *second* gully you climbed after you reached the end of the broad ridge? Or am I confused by the angle of the pic? thx, tdd

yukon222

yukon222
PostMon Oct 01, 2007 10:54 pm 
twodogdad wrote:
Yep, that is definitely it [...] We went up the gully between the two peaks and then climbed up the taller one to the right. Steve: Clarification, please (I'm going back, sooner or later, to finish the job): There was a gully in the middle of which I had to lift the dogs (so I remember it well): it seemed narrower than this one. It started more or less right after we contoured the cliffs around 7000 and eventually led to the broad ridge at 7300-7400, the end of which I could not see (that's where I turned back). Is this a *second* gully you climbed after you reached the end of the broad ridge? Or am I confused by the angle of the pic? thx, tdd
TDD - Yes, 2nd gully. This is the final summit gully 45 minutes past the narrow chute which you carried the dogs up and I included the picture of Yana ascending. That gully was just past the pocket of trees when we separated from you. Around the corner was that narrow gully which puts you up on the broad ridge. After heading north on that to the end, rocks force a descent back down to the right before climbing back up to the final summit gully in PIB's shot, the summit video and a few of my pics. Amazing that you lifted the dogs up that 1st slot gully!. It was steep and slick but better than the other possible points nearby.

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot
PostMon Oct 01, 2007 11:55 pm 
This so much more entertaining than if you had just climbed Snowgrass! Not only did you climb a different peak, but you also climbed it by the more difficult route, though also most direct. Which makes it even more of an accomplishment in those conditions. Here’s how the area looked when I was there 9/23 – 9/24/06 Snowgrass:
Snowgrass & Ladies Map
Snowgrass & Ladies Map
Snowgrass Route, viewed from Frosty Mtn.  Ladies peak at right.
1 label
Snowgrass Route, viewed from Frosty Mtn. Ladies peak at right.
Snowgrass Summit.  Ladies Peak is at rear left,
Snowgrass Summit. Ladies Peak is at rear left,
PiB coming up the route
PiB coming up the route
Hordes on “grassy lump” part of Snowgrass, with Ladies summit behind
Hordes on “grassy lump” part of Snowgrass, with Ladies summit behind
Ladies:
Ladies Peak from camp in Snowgrass/Ladies Basin.  Which gully did you go up?
Ladies Peak from camp in Snowgrass/Ladies Basin. Which gully did you go up?
Easier terrain up Ladies Peak, either from the left or right.  From the trail at right, Beckey blithely declares that it’s an “easy hike.”
Easier terrain up Ladies Peak, either from the left or right. From the trail at right, Beckey blithely declares that it’s an “easy hike.”
Ladies Peak summit area, viewed from Snowgrass
1 label
Ladies Peak summit area, viewed from Snowgrass
Gratuitous extra photos since your thread gives me an excuse to post them:
Mary Lake in evening light
Mary Lake in evening light
Camp at sunset in Snowgrass/Ladies Basin.
Camp at sunset in Snowgrass/Ladies Basin.
View from Snowgrass ridge
View from Snowgrass ridge
Lower Grace Lakes
Lower Grace Lakes
Snowgrass/Ladies Basin.
Snowgrass/Ladies Basin.
Fall color on Frosty Mtn
Fall color on Frosty Mtn
Frosty Mtn
Frosty Mtn

“As beacons mountains burned at evening.” J.R.R. Tolkien
ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!

ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!
PostTue Oct 02, 2007 5:21 am 
This report made my feet hurt..oh the mileage embarassedlaugh.gif Great photos and loving all this new snow biggrin.gif

"If you're not living good, you gotta travel wide"...Bob Marley
dicey
custom title

dicey
custom title
PostTue Oct 02, 2007 8:30 am 
Thanks for the pictures Matt. The link on your site to pictures from your Snowgrass/Frosty trip from last fall isn't working, so I appreciate being able to see them. smile.gif

I'm not always sure I like being older but being less stupid has advantages. http://www.flickr.com/photos/32121172@N00/sets/
Mesahchie Mark
A Lerxst

Mesahchie Mark
A Lerxst
PostTue Oct 02, 2007 11:39 am 
Great pics Matt! It's nice to see what Ladies Peak looks like, having climbed it...smile.gif Your "easy terrain" and "summit" pics completely correspond with my memory from the ascent. We actually climbed the ridge from the right of "easy terrain", traveling NE under the cliffs until we could find a gully to work from that side. The features of Ladies' summit ridge match our experience. Funny how things appear easier when you can see them! -MM

Cheers, Mesahchie Mark