Forum Index > Trip Reports > Mt. David 9/29/07
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
GeoTom

GeoTom
PostSat Sep 29, 2007 9:18 pm 
Jasper and I headed to the Lake Wenatchee/White River area today to see how far we could get up Mt. David. We stopped at 7,420 feet. Luckily for us that was the summit clown.gif Details: I woke up at 5:30 zzz.gif and grabbed the dog. Left the house by 6:00. He fell back asleep in the car on the drive over (lazy dog!) Arrived at the trailhead at~8:20. We started moving quickly as it was cold at the trailhead. Normally I slow down after the first few minutes, but I felt strong today (maybe it was the pizza last night hmmm.gif ) and managed to summit in ~3.5 hours. No speed record, but good for me, especially since the trail gains 5,200 (maybe more with the ups and downs) in 7 miles. We saw a light dusting of snow at ~5,600' that was more noticeable on the north and east aspects. Near the summit it was slightly over an inch deep in places. It warmed up a bit on the descent and much of the dusting had melted. Luckily we only had a few minutes of snow flurries all day. Unfortunately, it was the few minutes we were at the summit. No views of NWHikers sweetheart, Glacier Peak wub.gif but I bet she's still there. One of my motivations for doing this hike was to get a look at the stone privy near the summit. Somehow I forgot to actually research where it was last night doh.gif I thought I recalled JimK saying it was ~200 feet down the north slope from the summit. I looked for a few minutes, but with the snow covered ground and the winds picking up, I decided to abandon the search. frown.gif We encountered a few other hardy souls today, but no hunters on the trail guns.gif Descent took ~3 hours. That last flattish mile seems to take forever. Some pictures:
White River from the bridge at the start
White River from the bridge at the start
Yep, it's fall
Yep, it's fall
First glimpse of the goal
First glimpse of the goal
Yummy snow
Yummy snow
Clouds and ridge
Clouds and ridge
Foggy summit
Foggy summit
Snowy ridge
Snowy ridge
Almost there
Almost there
Lunch
Lunch
View down the north side
View down the north side
Soapy the frog on Mt. David
Soapy the frog on Mt. David
Less snow on the descent
Less snow on the descent
Still fall
Still fall
Happy trail dog (unleashed!)
Happy trail dog (unleashed!)
On the descent
On the descent

Knows literally nothing
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
silly_traveler
~ roaming ~

silly_traveler
~ roaming ~
PostSat Sep 29, 2007 9:23 pm 
Nice report and pictures smile.gif I wanna see that stone privy too hmmm.gif Maybe you wanna go up again next year biggrin.gif Soapy on summit! up.gif Jake is jealous! waah.gif

♫ You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. And you're the one who will decide where you'll go. Oh the places you'll go. - Dr. Seuss
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSat Sep 29, 2007 9:23 pm 
Nice pics GT. up.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
the Zachster

the Zachster
PostSat Sep 29, 2007 9:26 pm 
3.5 hours is quite respectable for that trail...good for you! up.gif And going leashless, how daring. Zach is SOOOO jealous...

"May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am"
GeoTom

GeoTom
PostSat Sep 29, 2007 9:35 pm 
silly_traveler wrote:
I wanna see that stone privy too hmmm.gif Maybe you wanna go up again next year biggrin.gif
Sure, but let's do it in late August or early September, before the snows!

Knows literally nothing
Mtn Dog
Technohiker

Mtn Dog
Technohiker
PostSun Sep 30, 2007 12:18 am 
GeoTom: The summit is sort of shaped like a two-humped camel. The true summit is the east hump that you arrive at after ascending the rock ledge. If you traverse over/around the west hump, which also has the benchmark and a 2nd reference mark near the top, the rock outhouse is on the NW edge of the west hump. It's maybe 30-40' from where the trails ends and its door faces west so you can relieve yourself while taking in the view of Whittier Peak and Mt Jonathan.
Best place to pee above 7,000'!
Best place to pee above 7,000'!

Footprints on the sands of time will never be made sitting down.
Yana
Hater

Yana
Hater
PostSun Sep 30, 2007 9:17 am 
Nice, GeoTom! I've been meaning to do Mt. David for years, but somehow I always end up doing something else. huh.gif White River sure is pretty.

PLAY SAFE! SKI ONLY IN CLOCKWISE DIRECTION! LET'S ALL HAVE FUN TOGETHER!
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostSun Sep 30, 2007 11:04 am 
Sweet! This may get done before the year is out.

twodogdad

twodogdad
PostSun Sep 30, 2007 11:23 am 
Greetings, unleashed one and leash carrier: Did you find a blank spot to sign in the "register"?--that and finding the outhouse are the secret challenges of David smile.gif Last Monday, we had to add our names to the USGS topo someone stuck in evidently years ago... If someone plans a Mt David hike this year please bring a new notebook, for posterity's sake. Should the old one (ones, I should say), be handed over to the UW library? tdd

summitseeker

summitseeker
PostSun Sep 30, 2007 11:41 am 
Cool! We were the party of two behind you. Had a great trip also. Beautiful spot.

"Find out who you are and then do it on purpose." www.summitroutes.com : Guidebook to the 100 highest peaks in Washington
GeoTom

GeoTom
PostSun Sep 30, 2007 11:46 am 
tdd- I didn't even think of looking for the register on top doh.gif I found a safe spot to leash Jasper, gave him his lunch and took a few photos. Maybe next time hmmm.gif summitseekr- So you were the two I encountered just below the summit? Nice to have "met" you. Mtn Dog- Thanks for the info on the loo. Maybe next August I'll have to use it...

Knows literally nothing
summitseeker

summitseeker
PostSun Sep 30, 2007 12:36 pm 
GeoTom wrote:
summitseekr- So you were the two I encountered just below the summit? Nice to have "met" you.
Yes, that was me and Jane. You flew past us on the way up also. smile.gif Good to meet you too, and share that great spot. There was another group of 3 that we met coming down from the summit -- gather you met them as well. My TR is here.

"Find out who you are and then do it on purpose." www.summitroutes.com : Guidebook to the 100 highest peaks in Washington
tomastaylor

tomastaylor
PostSun Sep 30, 2007 7:06 pm 
Here's a picture of the trail to the outhouse from the top:
I climbed down from the flat mountain top and scrambled around the perimeter of the summit looking for the outhouse. It didn't take long to see that it would be far too dangerous to build an outhouse there so I stood on the summit looking for a more suitable location. That's when I saw the trail to the outhouse. When heading down the trail from the top, stay right on the ridge.

deconinc

deconinc
PostMon Oct 01, 2007 7:11 am 
Sweet. We were the group of three. Looks like everyone is here now. Our trip report (mostly just pics) is here. We also tried to find the outhouse. Went in the right direction, but it got too icy to get there safely.

Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver

Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver
PostMon Oct 01, 2007 8:10 pm 
GT - Just so you know, if you had been in the Sawtooths (Id) with Jasper you would be "legally" off-leash. agree.gif lol.gif
Seems a reasonable compromise!
Seems a reasonable compromise!
s.d.

Four-paw buddy lets me tag along!