Forum Index > Trip Reports > Federation Forest St. Park 10/7/07
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
More Cowbell
Warrior Princess

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess
PostSun Oct 07, 2007 7:19 pm 
We went on a mushroom field trip today and were prepared for intense downpours and crummy weather, but what we got was perfect 'tromping in the woods' weather complete with sunbreaks. The elusive Chanterelles stayed that way (mostly) but we did find some fine specimens of Lobster and Cauliflower shrooms. The lighting was perfect and many varieties of fungi were to be found. Our party of 4 managed to cover just about all the trails on the river side of 410 but left the other side for another day. That's a beautiful trail too from what I remember a few years ago. If you are looking for a secluded (from people not car noise) forest walk, not too far away, try here. On my previous visit, I completely bit it on a slimy wooden boardwalk and all of those have had the "mesh" treatment and are much safer now. Last year's storms destroyed some of the "Whiter River Trail" and the silt was everywhere (meaning no mushrooms there). But the "Hobbit Trail" still had all the cute and cunning stuff. Bring an offering if you go. No pics because that spot seemed kind of sekrit. We had a wonderful time and feasted on some shrooms when we got back. The cauliflower shroom is just like an egg noodle and worked great in chicken broth. Oh Yeah... Right where the trail crosses 410 and loops back, we happened upon a sign about no mushroom hunting and went "Oops" but that sign wasn't posted anywhere around the parking lot so we felt guilty but not too guilty. We didn't pick that many anyways...
Magic Trail
Magic Trail
Big hunk-o-Cauliflower shroom
Big hunk-o-Cauliflower shroom
Hunter on the trail
Hunter on the trail
Macro'd tiny orange jobby shroom
Macro'd tiny orange jobby shroom
Hunter and Gatherer
Hunter and Gatherer

“If you want to forget all your other troubles, wear too tight shoes.” - Unknown
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Hiker Mama

Hiker Mama
PostSun Oct 07, 2007 10:24 pm 
Nice! I have been thinking about going down there and checking that trail out. Thanks fo the TR.

My hiking w/ kids site: www.thehikermama.com
Starjumper7
Human

Starjumper7
Human
PostSun Oct 07, 2007 11:29 pm 
Looks like a great hike. That's the kind of hiking I need to do more of now that I messed up my knees doing long, fast, steep downhills with a pack.