Forum Index > Trip Reports > Kalispell Island 8.25-29.2007 Over due and long, oh well.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
trailjunky
Backcountry Bumpkin'

trailjunky
Backcountry Bumpkin'
PostWed Oct 10, 2007 1:04 pm 
Life on the Island, Priest Lake, August 25th-29th, 2007. I had to scratch our plans in the Wollawas and Pintlers incase my wife Robin who is 8 months pregnant with our first child ran into any problems. Connor and I decided a hiking/fishing trip to Kalispell Island on Priest Lake would do just fine. Connor picked up the old 14 foot closed bowed Mirro Craft for one purpose, slamming the elusive Mackinaw. The Mackinaw is a lake trout that in Priest Lake can grow to 60 pounds, and some legends even speak of 90 pound giants buried so deep under the lakes surface they are untouchable by any type of fishing gear. Day 1 We left the house about 7am and in a couple of short hours we found ourselves at the Kalispell Bay boat launch. After loading down the old Mirro Craft with five days worth of provisions I pushed Connor off shore then hurried into Luby Bay to drop off the truck and trailer. After a short chat with Steve and Mary Luby I heard the unmistakable sound of the old Mirro Crafts bogged down 35 horse making a run for the beach. After saying goodbye to Steven and Mary we were off. Kalispell Island sits just northeast of Luby Bay, and can normally be reached in ten minutes with an empty boat. For this trip we were dragging a lot of water. Sitting in the back seat I barely had to drop my wrist to feel the cool water forming the wake beside our vessel. There was nothing we could do to avoid taking on water, though it was only a little. After circumnavigating the islands southeast shore we began looking for an inviting camp spot. After tooling the entire east shore we turned around and went back to one of the only sites left, this was Saturday morning, and the island was packed. After offloading our supplies we pitched the tent, and ate a lunch. The lake was all but calm, a breeze was blowing in from the south, making any attempt at jerking wire impossible. Jerking wire is the old cheap mans way of fishing. It’s a method passed down a couple of generations through the Pierce family, then to my brother, and eventually me. Without downriggers, and leaded line it requires single strand steel wire spooled onto large deep sea trolling reels, preferably a vintage Pacron or Sal Trout. After feeding wire though a short but sturdy pole the idea is to troll between 60 to 80 feet of water, while holding the wire in taped fingers you put a jerking motion on the wire to provide action for a 5 to 6 inch spoon being drug across the bottom of the lake. The style is crude, and at times frustrating, but it works. After a quick lunch break we decided to hike the island trail. The Kalispell Island trail is a 2.5 mile loop that travels around the lake offering many spectacular views of the Selkirk Crest and surrounding mountains. We started from the eastside where the views across the lake to the crest are the best, but the forest is all but scenic. The woods on the east and south end of the lakes are littered with deadfall and sickly looking trees. Once at the north end of the island we were surprised to find the entire north cove free of campers. We decided that after finishing the loop we would pack up and move camp. The trail along the north and west shores of the island is a pleasant walk through a dark forest canopy with even a few old growth giants to admire. It was kind of cool hiking a trail only accessible by boat which is probably why we were the only ones using the trail. Most people coming to visit Kalispell Island stick to its white sandy beaches in search of the perfect tan. It didn’t take long for Connor and I to complete the loop, and pack up camp. After loading the boat we found a nice camp on the west end of the north cove, which offered a nice view of the Selkirk Crest stretched out before us. After setting up camp we cruised into Luby Bay to join my wife Robin for fries and beer at Milly’s. After a nice visit we headed back to the island to find Lingerlonger calm enough to make a couple of passes for the Mackinaw. After an unsuccessful, but peaceful evening on the water we turned in early. With the burn ban in full effect we were asleep before 9pm.
Kalispell Island or bust.
Kalispell Island or bust.
Kalispell Island dead ahead, Priest Lake, Idaho.
Kalispell Island dead ahead, Priest Lake, Idaho.
Kalispell, Papoose, and Bartoo Island infront of Sundance Mountain, Priest Lake, Idaho.
Kalispell, Papoose, and Bartoo Island infront of Sundance Mountain, Priest Lake, Idaho.
Connor and I heading out to Kalispell island for a five day break on Priest Lake, Idaho.
Connor and I heading out to Kalispell island for a five day break on Priest Lake, Idaho.
The Mirro craft lands on Kalispell's east shore, Priest Lake, Idaho.
The Mirro craft lands on Kalispell's east shore, Priest Lake, Idaho.
A view of the Selkirk crest from the Kalispell Island Trail, Priest Lake, Idaho.
A view of the Selkirk crest from the Kalispell Island Trail, Priest Lake, Idaho.
Along the Kalispell Island trail, Priest Lake, Idaho.
Along the Kalispell Island trail, Priest Lake, Idaho.
The forest on Kalispell Island.
The forest on Kalispell Island.
The Mirrocraft.
The Mirrocraft.
Day 2 The next morning brought a magnificent sunrise, and relatively cloudless skies. Connor and I couldn’t wait to get some wire out and before long found ourselves with rods in hand for our first pass through Lingerlonger, a stretch of water between Kalispell Island and the west shore of Priest Lake. At the tail end of the pass I felt something heavy on the line and upon reeling in we found our first Mackinaw, after posing for a couple quick pictures we quickly released the five pounder back to the bottom of the lake. After turning the boat we made one more pass back through Lingerlonger and once again I had another Mackinaw in the boat, this one a four pounder which we promptly released. We decided to make one more pass before heading into camp. I had two fish in the boat and we both hoped Connor would soon have a fish on. About half way back through Lingerlonger Connor got his chance, and pulled in a respectable 11 pounder! After a few pictures we turned him back and made our way into camp. What a great morning Mackinaw fishing, neither of us could wait to get back out on the water, but decided to head into to Luby Bay for a little bit of exploration along the lakes west shore. After a lunch at the Korner Club we headed north on highway 57 and before long found the trail head for Hanna Flats. It had been several years since I had last hiked the loop and Connor had never been there. Hanna Flats is an impressive old growth cedar forest that rises 100 feet above the surrounding timber. Its amazing this little jewel survived the fires and logging in the area, thankfully it has been preserved for future generations, and if you have walked the quarter mile loop its easy to see why. After completing the loop we were back on the road headed north for Stagger Inn campground, and Granite Falls. Granite Falls is an impressive cataract cutting its way through a massive rock wall into a pool below. After taking in the falls we decided we had enough and made our way back to the truck. Having gone as far north as daylight would allow we headed back south toward Luby Bay. Just after the gravel road gave way to pavement Connor and I spotted a massive cow moose munching away along side the road. Go figure, my first up close and personal with a Priest Lake moose and I had left my camera on the island. After quietly observing the moose we retreated to the truck and eventually Kalispell Island. By now the weather was beginning to deteriorate. Storms were rolling in all around us. We decided it would be best to take the extra time to rig a tarp over the tent and supplies covering the picnic table, good idea. It was quite peaceful sitting under our blue plastic awning listening to the raindrops on the roof while watching the surf roll in and out. We again decided to turn in early in order to get up early and try again for a Priest Lake Mackinaw.
Sunrise over the Selkirk Crest, Priest Lake, Idaho.
The setup.
The setup.
Tanner handles his first Priest Lake mackinaw.
Tanner handles his first Priest Lake mackinaw.
Connor displaying a nice 11 pounder.
Connor displaying a nice 11 pounder.
Bad weather rolls in over the Selkirks and Priest Lake, Idaho.
Bad weather rolls in over the Selkirks and Priest Lake, Idaho.
basecamp
basecamp
Day 3 We woke up again at sunrise to mostly cloudy skies, and after a quick breakfast and coffee we boarded the Mirro Craft with the hopes of giant Mackinaw on the over end of the wire. Unfortunately the bite was off, and neither of us caught a fish. After calling it quits on the water we returned to the island to change and grab backpacks for a day hike in high county of Priest Lakes west shore. We arrived in Reeder Bay sometime later, parked the truck, loaded the packs and hit the trail. We started by heading south on lakeshore trail ### and after 0.8 miles we reached the junction with Lakeview Mountain trail ###. To this point the trail was rather bland, not very scenic, and bit brushy. A short way up the mountain I was beginning to think we would see more of the same. Getting closer to the top the brush began to give way to a rather scenic trail as more and more cedars and other intriguing looking trees began to construct the perfect setting. After gaining some significant elevation through dense forest we reached the first rocky outcropping offering a great view back down on Priest Lake and its many islands. Rain was falling all around us, and at times on us, but the dense forest canopy did a good job of catching most of the rain drops. Higher up on the mountain we encountered another clearing from which we could make out the Selkirk Crest including Lookout Mountain, Lion Head, Chimney Rock, Mount Roothaan, Hunt Peak, and last but not least Sundance Mountain. It had been a while since I had visited Lakeview Mountain ascending it from the west in 2003. Once I was sure we had covered the entire length of the trail and were beginning to drop of the backside we decided to call it quits. After an uneventful return to the pickup we retreated to Milly’s for beer and appetizers before heading back to the island. Back in camp we found a lot of water standing on our tarps. It appeared we were better off on Lakeview Mountain away from the bulk of the weather. As the night went on the weather improved so Connor and I decided to make a few more passes through Linger longer to try our luck with the fishing. Glad we did, we caught three Mac’s on three passes, and after a failed fourth pass we turned in. We were off to bed early again with hopes the fishing in the morning was as good as it was tonight.
Backcountry sea cucumber.  Anybody know what this is?
Backcountry sea cucumber. Anybody know what this is?
Along the Lakeview Mountain trail, Priest Lake, Idaho.
Along the Lakeview Mountain trail, Priest Lake, Idaho.
Connor on the trail to Lakeview Mountain, Priest Lake, Idaho.
Connor on the trail to Lakeview Mountain, Priest Lake, Idaho.
Priest Lake and the islands.  Kalispell Island in the foreground, then tiny Papoose, then Bartoo, and in the way back is smaller Four Mile Island.
Priest Lake and the islands. Kalispell Island in the foreground, then tiny Papoose, then Bartoo, and in the way back is smaller Four Mile Island.
The Selkirk Crest from Lookout Mountain to Chimney Rock, from near the summit of Lakeview Mountain, Priest Lake, Idaho.
The Selkirk Crest from Lookout Mountain to Chimney Rock, from near the summit of Lakeview Mountain, Priest Lake, Idaho.
Chimney Rock, and Mount Roothaan, from near the summit of Lakeview Mountain, Priest Lake, Idaho.
Chimney Rock, and Mount Roothaan, from near the summit of Lakeview Mountain, Priest Lake, Idaho.
Tanner with another Mackinaw.
Tanner with another Mackinaw.
Connor posses with another Priest Lake Mackinaw.
Connor posses with another Priest Lake Mackinaw.
Sunset from Kalispell Island, Priest Lake, Idaho.
Day 4 We awoke early to a cloudless Priest Lake sky. After a quick bite we jumped in the old boat. This morning we would try a pass through unfamiliar waters along the north shore of Bartoo Island. Bartoo Island sits directly southeast of Kalispell Island and is about equal in size. It didn’t take too long to set up the run with an empty boat and a 35 horse Johnson. We didn’t expect much on the first run, we more or less just wanted to get a feel for the depth and what kind of lake floor we would be dealing with. The run started out a bit deep so we worked inland in search for more reasonable depths. Once in line it didn’t take long to find the rocky bottom near 60 feet where I met a rock that didn’t want to let go, damn it! With our first run ending in a hang up we reloaded, and hit the same run again this time a little closer to shore in order keep our spoons at the proper depth for as long as we could. Again we found the rocks, or what I referred to as the titanic. We were both pulling hard to keep from hanging up and several times had to reel up line in order to limit the amount of gear we were dragging across the lake bottom. The fish finder was going nuts as Connor and I both waited for any sign of action. As we approached the end of the run, having accepted the fact the run was a failure Connor felt a strike. Yes! Finally, proof that we have an idea of what we are doing out here. It didn’t take long for Connor to pull the 4 pounder up off the bottom and after a quick picture we released him back to his preferred habitat. After a successful pass we decided to try it one more time, this time unsuccessful. After reeling in we decided to float a bit enjoying the morning sun which was now high above the Selkirk Crest. The lake was like glass, a rarity for Priest Lake, at least in the summer. After good conversation over a welcomed break we decided to call it quits and head for camp. A short while later while we got a call from our friend JT that he had arrived. We had been expecting his arrival, and quickly headed into Luby Bay where we parked the minnow and stepped on shore. After loading JT’s gear we chatted for a while before I decided I was in need of a shower. After a quick dip in the lake with a bar of soap I felt a lot better. Once out of the lake, we all agreed on catching a beer, and made our way to the Korner Club for a pitcher of Kokanee Gold. After catching up with JT we made our way back to Luby Bay for the boat and eventually Kalispell Island. Back on the island JT set up his camp while Connor and I tended to the usual chores. Later that evening we decided on a night bite, and made a quick trip through Lingerlonger. At the end of the fishless run while reeling up we were approached by the sheriff, lets just say things didn’t look good for any of us, especially my brother Connor. The sheriff made it quite clear that we shouldn’t even be on the water. After a long lecture, we all expected tickets. Luckily for us, the cops were in a good mood and perhaps saw we weren’t out to cause any trouble. Maybe they were feeling a little sympathetic toward three guys with empty nets, I don’t know, but for whatever the reason we couldn’t have been more grateful. After many thanks and accepting a few loaner life jackets we made straight for camp. Once in camp we fixed dinner and a few drinks before calling it quits and retiring for the evening. Day 5 Our last chance at the Mac’s, should have stayed in bed. A pleasant morning lone the less, and we didn’t try to hard with the damn fish anyway. This was our last day, a sad morning if you ask me. Again we spent some time afloat in conversation about relationships, life and all the other usual bulls**t. Why couldn’t I spend the rest of my days on that island? Life isn’t fair, but hell, we all know that. Ok enough of my complaining. I appreciate each and every moment I get to spend in my outdoors. It’s a place where I can find my self, my true self, uninterrupted by all the crap everyday life throws at you stripping you of your god given identity. A quite morning on Kalispell Island or upon the cool calm waters of Priest Lake beg to keep any man. There are few that can relate to me with this one, and I prefer to keep it stay that way.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Spotly

Spotly
PostWed Oct 10, 2007 1:56 pm 
It's the Money Tree guy! What are the "Pintlers"? Sounds like a great trip.

trailjunky
Backcountry Bumpkin'

trailjunky
Backcountry Bumpkin'
PostWed Oct 10, 2007 2:02 pm 
Thats exactly what i thought when i saw that green monster. The Pintlers are a mountain range in southwest Montana near Anaconda.

Sir Hikes-A-Lot
X-Ray Guy

Sir Hikes-A-Lot
X-Ray Guy
PostWed Oct 10, 2007 2:46 pm 
Sounds like a nice time. Love the pic with connor and that hat.

BA-NA-NARE-NARE-NARE-NARE-NARE-NARE-NARE!
captain jack
Serving suggestion

captain jack
Serving suggestion
PostWed Oct 10, 2007 8:02 pm 
trailjunky wrote:
The Mirrocraft.
The Mirrocraft.
Cool pic ! up.gif

cascadianwarrior
Fear the Yeti

cascadianwarrior
Fear the Yeti
PostWed Oct 10, 2007 10:59 pm 
We camped in the same site last summer (W. end of the North Cove).
This year we had the single private site about 7 minutes down the trail to the SW. Beautiful place to be!

-Trust Mervin Manufacturing-
Sabahsboy

Sabahsboy
PostThu Oct 11, 2007 7:42 pm 
Priest Lake crawling cucumber
Shot 18: I don't know! I DO know, DON'T TOUCH IT. The spines ave poison. I bet a search on the Web would reveal the correct description. I have not seen any caterpiller like it except on TV when some moronic adventurer shows you what not to eat when surviving the outback/jungle/wherever, then pops a tasty morsel of a grub as big as your big toe and then nearly vomits! I don't think this green crawer would be tasty, even to a stupid, Big Bird. That's why the poison.