Forum Index > Trip Reports > Janet gets jumped in the Teanaway (WITH PICS)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Yana
Hater

Yana
Hater
PostSun Oct 07, 2007 8:16 pm 
Four of us (Janet (PiB), Tazz, gabrielx, and myself... kleet and ree were supposedly going to join us, but they inexplicably bailed) left Seattle Saturday morning under gloomy skies and a depressing drizzle. After a brief stop in Issaquah for various forms of refueling, we set off to the east in search of better weather. Tazz was planning on catching up on sleep on the way to the trailhead, but my unfortunate habit of not using the windshield wipers kept her awake for some reason. I explained to her that it didn't actually matter if she couldn't see where we were going as she wasn't the one driving, but she remained perplexed. confused.gif confused.gif When the weather forecast is abysmal for the entire state, it is easy to decide to head to the Teanaway. Our intended destination: Ingalls Lake. As we arrived at the trailhead at the leisurely hour of 10 am, hordes of hikers were setting off up the trail and the parking lot was almost full. The going was easy and the trail snow free until near the junction with the Longs Pass trail, when we were treated to increasingly large patches of very compact and icy snow. About 1/2 mile after the junction, gabrielx left the trail and ambled up the slope toward the ridge above with the intent to summit not Hinkhouse Peak and meet back up with us later. The rest of us continued on up the trail in increasing snow. Much to our surprise, the sun even came out while we were winding our way to Ingalls Pass.
Snowy
Snowy
The pass was a beautiful place, as usual, and we got some pretty larch views here. I didn't take a lot of photos, or good photos, so hopefully the others will post theirs. Here are a couple of sad specimens (the photos, not the larches):
Larches
Larches
Larches and Snow
Larches and Snow
It seems too early in the season for such a snowy scene, and the arctic breeze at the pass definitely made for a wintry feeling.
Ingalls Pass
Ingalls Pass
Even Sherpa Peak and Mt. Stuart made a very brief appearance, before being engulfed in a more permanent and unmoving cloud. I thought about taking the ridge up to Fortune Peak, but the thigh deep snowdrifts on said ridge quickly convinced me otherwise. Not Hinkhouse Peak tries to tower over the pass, and while not imposing by any means, it was quite pretty with the snow:
Not Hinkhouse from Ingalls Pass
Not Hinkhouse from Ingalls Pass
Just as we began heading toward Ingalls Lake, I turned back toward not Hinkhouse in time to see Gabriel topping out on the summit. Coincidentally, the peak had been sunny right up until he got to the top, wherein it was engulfed in fog. Inexplicably, he later claimed that he had decent views up there. huh.gif During our traverse of Headlight Basin, we were slowed considerably by the need to stop and photograph things (okay, that was mainly Tazz). This allowed Gabriel to catch up to us, but not before he was accosted by some hikers who wanted to know if he posted on nwhikers. Apparently, they were just avid lurkers and not actually posters on the site, which we all thought was rather amusing. But just in case you're reading this, now would be an excellent time to de-lurk and introduce yourselves, people! smile.gif The rest of the trip to the lake was uneventful, other than the fact that the sun went away and the cloud level dropped. The lake area was rather inhospitable when we arrived.
Ingalls Lake
Ingalls Lake
Thus, we elected to find a more sheltered spot for a break, where Tazz proceeded to regale us with frightful adventures from her past. She also chose to stand under a tree which would rain snow and ice on her every time the wind picked up, much to the amusement of everyone. As we made our way back, I was surprised at how many people were camping near the pass and in the basin, and we met several more groups going up. Back at the pass, I wanted to go up not Hinkhouse Peak, which I had not been up before. Gabriel volunteered to go back that way with me while the other two chose to stick with the trail. As soon as we topped out, we were greeted with a truly arctic breeze, which was steadily blowing at about 12-15 mph. I now understand why that enormous cornice forms at Longs Pass. Alas, views were completely lacking at this point.
Gabriel and not Hinkhouse
Gabriel and not Hinkhouse
Meanwhile, Janet and Tazz were limping down the trail in increasing pain due to various joint ailments. Apparently, they chose to take this complications in stride and Tazz decided this was a good time to show off her dance moves. I am greatly saddened by the fact that I did not witness this in person, but luckily photographic evidence was available:
On our way out, we discovered that someone had been quite busy earlier in the day constructing a somewhat bizarre snowperson:
Snowperson
Snowperson
The rest of the hike out was uneventful, and once back at the trailhead, we reunited with Tazz and Janet and made the short drive to the Beverly Campground, where the Subaru Posse all decided that they were going to sleep in their vehicles.
Subaru Posse
Subaru Posse
Not owning a Subaru, I was the lone outcast and was forced to pitch my tent. Oh, the horror! After dinner and much conversation, darkness set in and Gabriel decided to retire at the very late hour of 7:45. The rest of us decided to go for a walk. Our headlamps lit up the drizzle in a fascinating way. Bizarrely enough, we could actually see a fair number of stars despite the precipitation. Everyone settled in for the night, blissfully unaware of what awaited us in the morning... ... The next morning, I got up and no one else was moving, so I decided to take a walk/sprint/jog. I was gripped with an acute case of Quark-ism when I saw some dewy plants. Sadly, I don't have near the skill that Quark does at photographing such things, but I tried anyway:
More Leaves
More Leaves
Leaves
Leaves
The other eventually crawled out of their cars and Gabriel decided to do another hike while the rest of us chose to take it easy and head for breakfast in Cle Elum. It was all going well until Janet attempted to start her car and the only result was "click click click click click." No problem, we thought, we'll just jump start it with Tazz's car! Well, the problem became evident rather soon. The jumper cables wouldn't reach unless we lined up the cars so the batteries were close to each other. However, Janet had parked Tazz in, and in order to achieve this feat, we would have to push Janet's Subaru Outback up an incline to get it out of the way. Having little choice, Tazz and I huffed and puffed and pushed and pushed (Tazz in her down booties, no less!). We'd get a good push in, and then the car would slowly start rolling back toward us, which was rather depressing and slightly alarming. This would cause us to try pushing harder. Rinse and repeat a few times, and with only a handful of silent curses, we had made enough progress to get onto flatter ground! Woo hoo! The hard part over, we made quick work of jumping Janet's car (really, what did you think was going to be in this trip report?). Disaster momentarily averted, we proceeded toward Cle Elum for some much deserved breakfast, only getting sidetracked by some cows on the way back.
MOOOOOOOO!!!!!!
MOOOOOOOO!!!!!!
The poor thing was rather confused as to why we were mooing at it. The Cottage Cafe provided yummy and plentiful food, though I was mocked for my perfectly normal drinking habits. The mocking was worth it, though, because it indirectly spawned this interaction: Janet, squinting at her camera: "I can't see a thing!" Tazz helpfully reaches over and removes the lens cover. Janet: "I still can't see a thing!" Janet then stops fiddling with the camera and puts on her glasses. Tazz: "Oh yeah, that should help!" The END.

PLAY SAFE! SKI ONLY IN CLOCKWISE DIRECTION! LET'S ALL HAVE FUN TOGETHER!
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Grizzy
Yellow Cedar Hugger

Grizzy
Yellow Cedar Hugger
PostSun Oct 07, 2007 8:38 pm 
Great Trip Report! breakdance.gif rotf.gif breakdance.gif

All the birds have flown up and gone; A lonely cloud floats leisurely by. We never tire of looking at each other - Only the mountain and I. ~Li Po~
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostSun Oct 07, 2007 8:40 pm 
So Hott! :wub: :slobber: :stun: :wub:
So Hott! wub.gif slobber.gif stun.gif wub.gif

seawallrunner
dilettante

seawallrunner
dilettante
PostSun Oct 07, 2007 9:22 pm 
this synchronizes perfectly with Madonna's Vogue, you should know.

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot
PostSun Oct 07, 2007 10:32 pm 
Great storytelling, Yana.

“As beacons mountains burned at evening.” J.R.R. Tolkien
peltoms

peltoms
PostMon Oct 08, 2007 4:45 am 
smile.gif Great way to start the day reading this trip report. Wow, I love creamer shots, I always take 3, I did not even know the real name though I am an addict.

North Cascade Glacier Climate Project: http://www.nichols.edu/departments/glacier/
Spotly

Spotly
PostMon Oct 08, 2007 6:26 am 
Is that The Robot? Niiiiice! Sounds like a great time. Ingalls Lake did look "moody."

Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostMon Oct 08, 2007 6:31 am 
Geez, that's a lot of snow already!! It's still summer here, I have the A/C blasting...

ree

ree
PostMon Oct 08, 2007 7:56 am 
I'm so sorry we didn't make it!! What fun you guys had! Believe me, I'm jealous. It would have been much more fun with you than the chore I had of finding a tenant. (Freaks aplenty!!!) So the larches aren't prime yet? If I get desperate, maybe I'll take the day off and go out. Nice pictures, and very fun tr! up.gif

Tazz

Tazz
PostMon Oct 08, 2007 9:30 am 
Awesome report yana!! lol.gif up.gif what a great time! ree you missed out! agree.gif fun times. Thanks gabriel for putting up with 3 gals... winksmile.gif

ree

ree
PostMon Oct 08, 2007 11:36 am 
Yah, we sure did miss out. The forecast was frightening on Friday, but wouldn't you know, those lameass forecasters had it WRONG. mad.gif It would have been worth it to stay in town if I'd gotten a decent tenant. Instead, I watched a parade of freaks. rolleyes.gif It was bad. shakehead.gif

Pumarinri

Pumarinri
PostMon Oct 08, 2007 1:06 pm 
OK, you shamed me into registering on nwhikers, so this is my first post. I talked to Gabriel on the way out from Lake Ingalls. If I can figure it out, here is a pic of Ingalls. We were the first people there on Saturday.
Ingalls Lake (still open)
Ingalls Lake (still open)
Dropping Clouds
Dropping Clouds
Turning Gold
Turning Gold

Tazz

Tazz
PostMon Oct 08, 2007 1:30 pm 
why hello, and welcome! up.gif

Grizzy
Yellow Cedar Hugger

Grizzy
Yellow Cedar Hugger
PostMon Oct 08, 2007 1:34 pm 
I really like your second picture "Dropping Clouds", very nice! Welcome to nwhikers biggrin.gif

All the birds have flown up and gone; A lonely cloud floats leisurely by. We never tire of looking at each other - Only the mountain and I. ~Li Po~
dicey
custom title

dicey
custom title
PostMon Oct 08, 2007 1:48 pm 
Yana wrote:
lol.gif up.gif Nice job shaming lurkers into posting!! biggrin.gif

I'm not always sure I like being older but being less stupid has advantages. http://www.flickr.com/photos/32121172@N00/sets/