Forum Index > Trip Reports > Ingalls Pass & Lake - 10/13/07
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
wamtngal

wamtngal
PostSun Oct 14, 2007 8:59 am 
With the great weather forecast, we knew we had to head east to the Teanaways for some larch viewing. Our destinations were Ingalls Lake and south Ingalls Peak. A handful of trip reports have been written about this hike lately, so I'll just update on conditions and our peak attempt. The trail is snow-free until Ingalls Pass. From there, due to the heavy use yesterday, it is mostly muddy now with some scattered snow. AND, OH THE LARCHES! At their prime right now! At the lake there's still about a foot of snow.
Mt Rainier
Mt Rainier
Mt Stuart & Larches
Mt Stuart & Larches
Close up of Mt Stuart & Larches
Close up of Mt Stuart & Larches
Ingalls Peaks & Larches
Ingalls Peaks & Larches
Another Ingalls Peaks & Larches Shot
Another Ingalls Peaks & Larches Shot
Headlight Basin
Headlight Basin
Headlight Basin
Headlight Basin
Yet another Stuart & Larches Shot
Yet another Stuart & Larches Shot
Golden Larches, Snow & Todd
Golden Larches, Snow & Todd
Stuart, Stream & Golden Larches
Stuart, Stream & Golden Larches
Todd Photographing Headlight Basin
Todd Photographing Headlight Basin
Lake Ingalls 3
Lake Ingalls 3
Lake Ingalls2
Lake Ingalls2
We decided to give south Ingalls Peak a try. At the same time, two other groups (one large 6-8 person Mountaineers-like group and one 3-person group) decided to try as well. We all ended up in a traffic jam of deep post-holing through the boulder field, which took a lot of time. We all finally reached the saddle at around 2:15. Looking down the backside we noticed a set of boot prints that reached where you started heading up to the ridge, but they ended there. Due to the fact that Todd and I did not have crampons or ice axes and that it would be another 30-45 mins of postholing to reach the summit, we didn't want to be stuck on icy, firm snow and ended our trip at the pass. Beautiful all the same!
At Ingalls Saddle - Baker & Glacier Mtns in Background
At Ingalls Saddle - Baker & Glacier Mtns in Background
Almost there...
Almost there...
Shoulder of South Ingalls & Mt Daniel
Shoulder of South Ingalls & Mt Daniel
And not bad for someone who has a nasty cold...but I couldn't resist getting out with the forecast and larches in their prime! wink.gif
Reflections
Reflections
Most amusing part of the trip? On our drive out, seeing all of the hunters in camps and wandering along the road scoping out deer and then counting 23 deer in the fields along the Teanaway River Road...it's like the deer know where they can go for safety or something.

Opinions expressed here are my own.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Layback
Cascades Expatriate

Layback
Cascades Expatriate
PostSun Oct 14, 2007 1:05 pm 
Great TR WMG! Larch everywhere!!!

Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostSun Oct 14, 2007 1:07 pm 
Thanks for all the larch pictures, peoples.

JimK

JimK
PostSun Oct 14, 2007 1:17 pm 
Nice photos. I bet you saw the two guys in blaze orange. Maybe from a half mile away. smile.gif Hard to miss us.

wamtngal

wamtngal
PostSun Oct 14, 2007 1:53 pm 
JimK, You bet we saw you. wink.gif We were the guy and gal who came up to Ingalls Pass while I think you and your friend were taking a break--I think Todd said hello to one of you. We were also shooting pics on the way trail and you guys were almost right behind us. In fact, Todd has both of you in a photo of his. Nice to 'meet' you. And thanks for the photo compliments everyone - I was very happy to see that the larch were finally in full "bloom." up.gif

Don

Don
PostSun Oct 14, 2007 2:30 pm 
I missed The Great Pumkin and others as well! The only person I ran into was Trail Junky (and it was a pleasure to finally do so!). BTW - I was the blue bivy sack just below the gulley route to S. Ingalls. hockeygrin.gif Nice pictures mountaingal! You two should have stuck around for sunrise on Ingalls this morning - beautiful. up.gif

kleet
meat tornado

kleet
meat tornado
PostSun Oct 14, 2007 3:21 pm 
wamountaingal wrote:
Most amusing part of the trip? On our drive out, seeing all of the hunters in camps and wandering along the road scoping out deer and then counting 23 deer in the fields along the Teanaway River Road...it's like the deer know where they can go for safety or something.
One of my buddies has a cabin up the Teanaway, and we see this every year. Last year, we saw swarms of hunters cruising up and down the road, while a herd of over 50 elk rested in the field within earshot of Highway 97. I think once they hear the first gunshot of the season, they head for the fields they somehow know are posted "No Hunting". Or maybe they can read better than they're given credit for.
Don wrote:
You two should have stuck around for sunrise on Ingalls this morning - beautiful. up.gif
So where's the pictures, Don?

A fuxk, why do I not give one?
trailjunky
Backcountry Bumpkin'

trailjunky
Backcountry Bumpkin'
PostMon Oct 15, 2007 2:36 am 
Wow, well worth the drive from Spokane. dizzy.gif The larch were amazing. WMG, i think Eddie (Sir Hikes-A-Lot) and i passed you guys on the trail a couple of times but i'm not exactly sure, there were lots of people out there Saturday. It was a nice surprise to run into Jim and Gary on the snowy shores of Lake Ingalls, and again on the big rock before the descent from Ingalls Pass, we will definitely have to get together for a hike sometime. We also had the pleasure of running into Don, nice to meet you, who helped Eddie and I navigate around a couple of magnificant goldy larches. Don, maybe we can get together sometime on the trail, I could use a good photo lesson, hope the larch were good to ya. Where are the pics? Don't worry, i will have mine up soon. Hey Tazz, sorry i missed you guys at 29 Pines. I spent too much time with the larch and ended up taking about three hours longer than i should have, hopefully next time.

Don

Don
PostMon Oct 15, 2007 6:46 am 
Trailjunky, it was great to meet you as well! And it would be great to team up for a hike sometime. Keep in touch! I still don't understand how I missed JimK up there - especially with the orange vest everyone was telling me about (word is that he is extremely afraid of goats and uses the orange vest to warn them of his approach - at least he doesn't carry those dang goat bells anymore... hockeygrin.gif ). Jim - you had to have passed me lounging on my bivy (about 30' off the trail). I set camp at 12:15 and didn't wander over to the lake until nearly 4:00. Strange. Tazz - I swung into 29 Pines around 11:40 Sunday morning, but didn't see any sign of you or PiB. FYI. Alan - you missed a heck of a trip buddy! Next time! Everyone - I hope to post some images within the next couple of days. Don

Tazz

Tazz
PostMon Oct 15, 2007 7:40 am 
Good stuff WMG!! Love that climb up SI but would have bailed in those conditions too... eek.gif WOW the color on the Teanaway road was prime. Sorry I missed all you folks... a true, planned campout is in order agree.gif psssttt...Don... I don't see any pics yet... tongue.gif biggrin.gif

JimK

JimK
PostMon Oct 15, 2007 7:40 am 
Don, we made the whole loop of upper and lower trails. Don't know how we missed you. Oh, and who says I don't use the bells anymore?

wamtngal

wamtngal
PostMon Oct 15, 2007 8:20 am 
Don, definitely saw your bivy - we were remarking on what a nice spot it was overlooking Stuart and the basin. In fact, I was getting pretty envious of everyone camped out and had wished we brought our overnight gear as we had originally considered doing. TJ, we might have missed your while we were wallowing in the snow above the lake heading to the pass...we got to the lake at lunch time and were back down to the lake at around 2:30, took a break and headed out...although I may have missed you as I'm not sure if I could pick you out without the moss mustache. Tazz, I remember telling Todd how we should come back and do the climb when there isn't snow...I love boulder fields. It seems like a fun scramble.