Forum Index > Trip Reports > Bull of the Woods Wilderness, Or
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
whitebark

whitebark
PostMon Oct 15, 2007 4:26 pm 
Geologists divide the Oregon Cascades into two parts, the Western Cascades and the High Cascades. The Western Cascades were once the main center of volcanic activity 10s of millions of years ago. Eventually the action shifted to the current Cascade Crest, the so-called "High Cascades". The Western Cascades are now old and heavily eroded, and show up as isolated, moderately high ridges west of the main crest. The Bull of the Woods Wilderness protects a nice area of the Western Cascades east of Salem. I was intrigued by the interesting-sounding name and just had to do a hike there. To get there, I took a rough road starting on the highway between Detroit and Breitenbush Hot Springs, heading to Elk Lake. The lake is a sizeable one and has an official campground, but it seems that the Forest Service doesn't want anyone to visit it. I saw no signs pointing to the lake, and the access road was poorly maintained, barely usable by normal low-clearance cars. The trail I hiked climbed the side of Battle Axe Mountain, then traversed a series of glacial basins to the east of the ridge. I went a couple miles, ending up at a charming pond-dotted basin reminiscent of the Cutthroat Lakes in the Mountain Loop area. This low-key subalpine terrain is not super-exciting, but there is some pleasant hiking to do there all the same. Abundant maples provided some fine fall color. This trail does not appear to be heavily used, but was maintained and in fairly decent condition. Here are some pics, muted by the cloudy weather:
Bull of the Woods
Bull of the Woods
Bull of the Woods
Bull of the Woods
Bull of the Woods
Bull of the Woods
Bull of the Woods
Bull of the Woods
Bull of the Woods
Bull of the Woods
Bull of the Woods
Bull of the Woods
Bull of the Woods
Bull of the Woods
http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?lat=44.8287&lon=-122.14006&size=m&u=4&datum=nad27&layer=DRG

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)
PostMon Oct 15, 2007 6:05 pm 
Good to see your report and pics on this area. Bob Bolton & I fought the brush to do Schreiner Peak back in August, 8 hours to do 4 miles. shakehead.gif Nasty but then when we got to the top, we were treated to some great views of the area. Schreiner is the highest peak in the wilderness area and we approached it from the east.

Dean - working in Utah for awhile and feeling like it is a 'paid' vacation. http://www.summitpost.org/user_page.php?user_id=1160
yew
non-technical

yew
non-technical
PostMon Oct 15, 2007 9:41 pm 
OR vs. WA Cascades
Quote:
To get there, I took a rough road starting on the highway between Detroit and Breitenbush Hot Springs, heading to Elk Lake. The lake is a sizeable one and has an official campground, but it seems that the Forest Service doesn't want anyone to visit it. I saw no signs pointing to the lake, and the access road was poorly maintained, barely usable by normal low-clearance cars.
The road you're talking about also makes for a decent cross country ski tour and is in Klindt Vielbig's cross country ski tour guidebook.
Quote:
I was intrigued by the interesting-sounding name and just had to do a hike there
They say "bull of the woods" is an old logging term for the crustiest, orneriest old logger on a crew.
Quote:
This low-key subalpine terrain is not super-exciting, but there is some pleasant hiking to do there all the same
That's a good description of much of the Oregon Cascades from a Washingtonian's perspective. With the exception of the highest areas, much of the Oregon Cascades are mellow compared to the Washington Cascades especially fron Snoqualmie Pass north to BC. But the Oregon Cascades have a unique coolness about them even though they don't have as many big, tall craggy peaks and glaciers. I like that there's Shasta red fir instead of noble fir in the southern portion of the Oregon Cascades but not too keen on the poison oak. It seems there's more plants and wildlife diversity down there since the climate is not as harsh/cold-wet.

"I aint jokin woman, I got to ramble...We gonna go walkin through the park every day." - Led Zeppelin