Forum Index > Trip Reports > Dungeness Spit 10.13.07
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Hesman

Hesman
PostSat Oct 13, 2007 7:52 pm 
What a absolutely beautiful day to go for a wonderful hike on Dungeness Spit with three great people. Goats Gone Wild, a friend of GGW, Hiker Mama and I met at the trailhead for the jaunt out to the lighthouse and back. Hiker Mama was a bit late since she had to catch a ferry and traffic was backed up on the Hood Canal Bridge. Must have been a submarine going through. We paid our $3 and started walking down the boulevard to beach. It was a fabulous blue sky kind of day when we started. The Olympics stretched out behind us and the spit stretched out low to the water in front and a bank of fog off shore. The stealthy fog crept in on us about half way out to the lighthouse and it was intermittent views from then on, with a few random throaty fog horns from big ships plying the Strait of Juan de Fuca. After a few rest stops along the way and plenty of HJT shutter delay, we made it to the lighthouse wreathed in fog, flashing its white light for a few hikers to see. We ate lunch before climbing the lighthouse Stairmaster to the top of the lighthouse. No niffty views today. bawl.gif Once the ground was safely reached we made our preperations to return to civilization. Considering the tide was coming in and that it was never that low today, there were plenty of people making tracks to the lighthouse. Our tracks never lasted for long since the waves continually washed them out. We had to the wave dance to keep the feet dry. At one rest stop HJT built another cairn masterpiece. It was a great day in the neighborhood and my feet were happy to rest on the drive home and my tummy was happily filled with a yogurt cone.
Into the Fog
Into the Fog

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
seawallrunner
dilettante

seawallrunner
dilettante
PostSat Oct 13, 2007 8:18 pm 
ooo, nice. and it looks like it was a nice day for the hike! love the photo of the hikers disappearing into the fog. and nice to finally put faces to names!

Kat
Turtle Hiker

Kat
Turtle Hiker
PostSat Oct 13, 2007 9:23 pm 
Thanks for sharing - these photos are really different! I love the "kelp drying" one among others.

Hiker Mama

Hiker Mama
PostSat Oct 13, 2007 10:00 pm 
Nicely worded TR, HJT. I finally got kids to bed, ate, and got cleaned up. I haven't even looked at my pics yet. I'll try to get them up tomorrow. I have to say this was one of the nicest, most relaxed and happy groups of people I've hiked with in awhile. You guys really made my day. Thanks for inviting me!

My hiking w/ kids site: www.thehikermama.com
goats gone wild
Mr. Goat

goats gone wild
Mr. Goat
PostSat Oct 13, 2007 11:03 pm 
Thanks HJT for the great TR and pictures. You rock, Rock. So, when are we goin take up residence in the lighthouse? This winter maybe? We could have an artesian well part-ee! Hiker Mama, thanks for getting up so early and makin that ferry and comin all that way to join us! I'm so glad I got to meet you. I don't think we stopped smillin all day! And here's to not getting shot by Dick Cheeney and company. cheers.gif hockeygrin.gif Really, I can't think of any other way I would rather spend a day than with great friends like you. Here's to many more of the same. cheers.gif drink.gif up.gif up.gif

.....leaving me wanting to return over and over in what ever capacity that may be, even if one day my knees are too old and I can only see the mountains from my porch. Jason Hummel
goats gone wild
Mr. Goat

goats gone wild
Mr. Goat
PostSat Oct 13, 2007 11:09 pm 
P.S. "Da Agate" belongs in the goblet HJT! Don't even think about putting it in the jar. nono.gif

.....leaving me wanting to return over and over in what ever capacity that may be, even if one day my knees are too old and I can only see the mountains from my porch. Jason Hummel
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostSun Oct 14, 2007 8:17 am 
Great pictures HJT, you are getting some really good ones lately. Maybe you always have, and I am just noticing. I like the tell tale circles of dampness on your knees. That is what Quark looks like, only it runs from her feet to her shoulders. It is nice to see the faces attached to the names. The glowing kelp looks an awful lot like a human lying down for some rest or perhaps something even more fun.

Hiker Mama

Hiker Mama
PostSun Oct 14, 2007 9:53 pm 
There are many things I'll remember from this trip: The open spaces were so wonderful after being stuck inside much of the week. The smell of the sea air, and just being able to breathe. The different sounds of the waves: roaring, breaking, sighing, swishing, rolling the cobbles, sneaking up behind us. All the many colors and varieties of rocks on the shore. The atmosphere of walking in the fog and not being able to see the shore or our destination. Completing the longest hike I've done and having the least foot pain I've had in a few years. up.gif Thanks HJT and Goats Gone Wild for inviting me. Everyone was so great, even though I was late [note to self: pay closer attention to the directions next time shakehead.gif ] and usually bringing up the rear. Following are some of my pictures. Several of them turned out wierd because I had the flash on in the mist, and you can see drops of water floating in the air. Thus, I didn't get a very good picture of GGW. Sorry. frown.gif
Dungeness Spit
Dungeness Spit
Driftwood
Driftwood
Cormorants
Cormorants
Mushroom cloud
Mushroom cloud
Late flowers
Late flowers
Foggy Day
Foggy Day
Walking through the fog
Walking through the fog
Serentiy
Serentiy
Helipad
Helipad
Yep, the light is on!
Yep, the light is on!
Watch your step
Watch your step
Keeper's Residence
Keeper's Residence
Lighthouse
Lighthouse
Lighthouse
Lighthouse
This is why HJT's knees are wet.
This is why HJT's knees are wet.
The sun made this interesting arc of light, almost a rainbow in the fog.
Strange light pattern
Strange light pattern
Dead fish
Dead fish
HJT building his masterpiece
HJT building his masterpiece
Rock Art
Rock Art

My hiking w/ kids site: www.thehikermama.com
goats gone wild
Mr. Goat

goats gone wild
Mr. Goat
PostSun Oct 14, 2007 10:55 pm 
Hiker Mama, your pictures are GREAT! You captured the day perfectly with your trail report. biggrin.gif I'm so glad you joined us. Thanks so much for posting it. I've got to tell Jean to take a look see again at NWHikers, if she hasn't already done so. That picture of her in the stairwell is up.gif up.gif wave.gif Jean, are you seeing this???

Curtissimo

Curtissimo
PostMon Oct 15, 2007 7:52 pm 
one of my favorite hearty family hikes ... and your pictures are OUTSTANDING! i set up the crab as my desktop background, thanks!