Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Gas station stories?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger

Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger
PostMon Oct 15, 2007 5:18 pm 
With all the miles we put on our cars to get us to the TH's, I'm betting there are some good stories out there from those gas stations in and around this state that we live in. So the Chevron at Snoq Pass has this guy that I always see on Monday's when I stop in. He is a scary looking guy, always has about 4 days of growth on his face and has at least one gold tooth. This guy gives me the creeps everytime I see him paranoid.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Toonces
unleashed

Toonces
unleashed
PostMon Oct 15, 2007 5:25 pm 
Bryan wrote:
He is a scary looking guy, always has about 4 days of growth on his face and has at least one gold tooth. This guy gives me the creeps everytime I see him paranoid.gif
Dude - is that him in your avatar? huh.gif

If you show fear, a monkey will bully you.
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostMon Oct 15, 2007 5:36 pm 
We pulled into that Chevron with a busted engine one bad July 4th weekend years ago, and had to wait a few hours while the tow truck came from Seattle to haul the car back to the dealership (all under warranty up.gif ). At any rate, that gave me time to observe a bit. That place was like an emergency room for cars, with overheated engines galore. They wouldn't give out any free water either - they were making good $$ from charging for fluid to refill the ol' radiator. It was quite an intriguing scene, complete with people trying to "steal" water from the bathrooms, people complaining loudly, etc.

touron

touron
PostMon Oct 15, 2007 5:37 pm 
When I was little, on a return trip from Montana, about 60 miles or so out of Seattle, our station wagon was acting up. In fact it would backfire any time we were going up a hill...bang....bang....bang. My 5 year old brother kept yelling "Wild horsemen are chasing us." We really weren't sure if we were going to make it to Seattle. We pulled into some gas station in Washington (name witheld to protect the innocent), and the car made a final backfire as my Dad pulled to a stop. I don't know what time it was, but it was dark. A service station attendent came out the station and approached our car. Just then, a guy leans out from the 2nd story window of the place and yells, "Don't help them!" Well that was that. The attendant went back inside. We did make it home, but we held our breaths the whole way.

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
l

l
PostMon Oct 15, 2007 6:32 pm 
Really not a gas station story, but one is involved. Driving back from Denver to Chicago one forgettable June, my radiator overheated on the interstate. I was able to roll within 1/4 mile of a rest area before the thing erupted like a geyser. After walking up to a phone booth and calling for service, I returned to find a state trooper parked behind my vehicle. This guy was straight out of central casting. Tall, jut-jawed with mirror sun glasses and a disposition somewhere between curious and suspicious. And that sergeant's hat. Could it hang any lower over his eyes without blinding him? I was already bummed from a failed attempt at working for a dude ranch (don't ask) and was really put out by the third degree I was getting. For some reason the trooper didn't believe my story and asked to look in the trunk. I assented and he proceeded to pull out everything I had packed and then peeked in the wheel well. The tow truck arrived by then but it had two guys in the vehicle. Before hitching the car they insisted on running my credit card which they called into the home office. The trooper offered to drive me to the station. We arrived in about 15 minutes and hardly a word passed between us. I thanked him for the ride, and just before exiting, I asked, "By the way, where am I?" He took his thumb and nudged the wide brim of his hat up a few inches. "Son, you're in Colby, Kansas."

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostMon Oct 15, 2007 7:42 pm 
So tell us about the dude ranch, Shackster! I stopped at a gas station in Coulee City several years ago, and an old Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme pulled up next to me. On the headrest of the passenger side was drapped a grey tabby cat, very relaxed. I asked the driver about the kitty, and he said he's a salesman and was gone for days at a time, so the kitty traveled with him. He was pretty scruffy-looking, and the car was a POS - not sure what he was selling, but he was a nice enough chap, and the kitty was so sweet and happy. A big part of his territory covered the town of Grand Coulee Dam. I mentioned to him that what Grand COulee needed was a good restaurant. He told me about La Presa Mexican restaurant, and I've gone out of my way to eat there each time I visit that area, which is at least once a year. I even plan my arrival and/or departure around a meal time. Sometimes it pays to talk to guys who travel with their cats in old cars. I even roped Putz in Boots into going with me once. Ring, ring......."Hello?" "Hey, Putz in Boots, I have a cockamamie idea." "What?" she said. "I got a hankerin' for mexican food." "Fine," she said. "Well, my idea is to go to Grand Coulee to my favorite mexican restaurant." "What's so cockamamie about that?" she said. And away we went. I swear, that Putz in Boots is a maniac-idiot.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
seawallrunner
dilettante

seawallrunner
dilettante
PostMon Oct 15, 2007 8:30 pm 
"Well, my idea is to go to Grand Coulee to my favorite mexican restaurant." "What's so cockamamie about that?" she said. It's not far from here, either (on a weekend). love to drive. call me next time and I'll meet ya gals there

Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostMon Oct 15, 2007 10:28 pm 
I'll make fun of you, then you can make fun of me. 'Let's drive half a day, eat mexican, then drive half a day.' 'Sure.' twirl.gif I worked in a gas station next to Seattle Center. The graveyard shift was the best. I spent a lot of time alone, thinking. Here are some random thoughts I remember. Hey, she's pretty! Well, not so much now that she's puking in my garbage can. Is that guy going to steal some sandwiches? No, he's just draining a few ketchup packets into his mouth. The drunk girl who got out of the limo is sure obnoxious. At least she had the courtesy to pee on the rug, instead of on the tile. Is is just me, or does Michael Cage have a different car and a different girl every time he comes in? Oh, look. It's the stripper who changed her stage name to match my real name. What an honor. I am not making any of this up. The cool part is I'm just scratching the surface.

Nisquaww
Hot balls

Nisquaww
Hot balls
PostMon Oct 15, 2007 11:47 pm 
Magellan... strange.gif ...please continue.

"Why do you have a beard?" "I don't have a beard. It's just the light; it plays funny tricks." ~ Shel Silverstein
Mega-Will
country bumpkin

Mega-Will
country bumpkin
PostTue Oct 16, 2007 3:08 am 
Magellan wrote:
I worked in a gas station next to Seattle Center...
hahahahahah!!! I've worked graveyards at a Chevron between Bellingham and Lynden for the past two and a half years. The transexual wearing nothing but very nice shoes and a jacket has probably been the highlight so far. Other than that, I had a kid steal gas and promply get T-boned (50mph speed limit) blasting out of the parking lot. Turns out not only was his truck stolen, the car that hit him was too... Just last Friday I had a kid try to steal beer. I was fed up and hopped over the counter, jumped him and aimed a fire extinguisher at his eyeball. It was rad! There's lots of other goodies I can't remember right now. Mostly it's just stuff like the guy that came in and circled the store three times. "You don't have Coke?" Uhmm, yeah it's in the cooler right back...." "Bah!" as he storms out. Or people coming in at 4 or 5 fried out of their heads doing summersaults and whatnot... Honestly I think it's an awesome job if you have very thick skin, and a very dark sense of humor. I have to say though that my new favorite place to hang out is that big truck stop around Smokey Point, just off I-5. That place is about as bizarre during the day as my station is in the middle of the night!

Mtn Dog
Technohiker

Mtn Dog
Technohiker
PostTue Oct 16, 2007 6:57 am 
I was filling up at the AM/PM in Fairwood when a lady walked over and told the woman on the other side of the bay to please hang up her cell phone while she was pumping gas. She was chatting nonstop about trivial BS with the cell phone in one hand and the gas pump in the other. She didn't hang up until we both insisted she do so and even then she took 2 or 3 minutes to finally put the phone away. When she turned her conversation to us she was clueless as to what the fuss was all about (after she finally complied) so I promptly showed her the warnings posted on the side of the pump island describing the fire hazard potential with a static spark source like a cell phone. doh.gif

Footprints on the sands of time will never be made sitting down.
kleet
meat tornado

kleet
meat tornado
PostTue Oct 16, 2007 7:09 am 
Quark wrote:
A big part of his territory covered the town of Grand Coulee Dam.
Just so you know, dork, there is no town of Grand Coulee Dam. You may choose from the following list, a single town name in a lame attempt to salvage your outrageous tale: *Coulee Dam *Coulee City *Grand Coulee Edit: Oops, almost forgot this Coulee -->

A fuxk, why do I not give one?
Spotly

Spotly
PostTue Oct 16, 2007 7:29 am 
I pulled into that full-service Chevron east of Stevens Pass last year. I fugured since I was paying the extra I'd have the guy check the tire pressure in the front tires (looked low). He gave me one of those looks like I was odd. When he got done, he gave me a hard time over it - even said "most guys check thier own tires." huh.gif I've been making up for my lack on manliness ever since by spitting needlessly and picking food from my teeth with my greasy fingernails.

Spotly

Spotly
PostTue Oct 16, 2007 7:35 am 
seawallrunner wrote:
"Well, my idea is to go to Grand Coulee to my favorite mexican restaurant." "What's so cockamamie about that?" she said. It's not far from here, either (on a weekend). love to drive. call me next time and I'll meet ya gals there
Nor from here. I think Quark turned me on to that place too. They do have some fantasic food and great service. I might have to drag spoteri out there again soon. We need a taco eating emoticon.

polecatjoe
Silent but deadly

polecatjoe
Silent but deadly
PostTue Oct 16, 2007 7:43 am 
Mtn Dog wrote:
I was filling up at the AM/PM in Fairwood when a lady walked over and told the woman on the other side of the bay to please hang up her cell phone while she was pumping gas. She was chatting nonstop about trivial BS with the cell phone in one hand and the gas pump in the other. She didn't hang up until we both insisted she do so and even then she took 2 or 3 minutes to finally put the phone away. When she turned her conversation to us she was clueless as to what the fuss was all about (after she finally complied) so I promptly showed her the warnings posted on the side of the pump island describing the fire hazard potential with a static spark source like a cell phone. doh.gif
The cell phone theory has been widely debunked as a myth, and no cases can be cited of a phone ever causing a gas station explosion. On the television series "Mythbusters", they tried repeatedly, in a chamber filled with concentrated gasoline fumes, to cause an explosion using a cell phone as the detonator, with no success. The problem is that cell phones don't have or create an ignition source.
Quote:
Assistant professor Frank Osterloh from the University of California-Davis chemistry department said that cell phones are "very safe" to use while at gas stations. "Cell phones operate on low voltage and thus cannot produce an electrical spark sufficient to ignite gasoline vapour," he said. In addition, Osterloh said cell phones are designed to transmit and receive radio waves of very low power which are "extremely unlikely" to set gasoline vapours on fire. Because cell phone manufacturers include warnings about the equipment, Hahn said that some API member companies began posting cautionary signs against cell phone use at their respective service stations.
So you would probably be OK. Static electricity; however, like that caused by women's nylons when they re-enter their vehicles during fueling, can cause quite the firebomb. flammable.gif On the other hand, members of my family defied death one night in Long Beach, Washington. We got a late start on the drive down Friday night, compounded by a stop for refreshments at the Artic Tavern, and arrived in Long Beach about 2:00 am. By this time we were starving, having had nothing but peanuts and beer for about 8 hours, but the only place still open was a Shell station by the charming name of "Grub 'n Stuff". We went in to check out the "grub". Under the heatlamps was a sordid selection of vintage chicken gizzards, crusty burritos, greasy jo-jos, antique jalapeno poppers, and other nausea-inducing fare. "How much for all of it?" "$5.00. We're getting ready to close anyway." We ate like royalty. Kings and queens of the trailer park.

"If we didn't live venturously, plucking the wild goat by the beard, and trembling over precipices, we should never be depressed, I've no doubt; but already should be faded, fatalistic and aged." - Virginia Woolf