Forum Index > Trip Reports > Ecstasy of the Larches – Enchantments Traverse (10/13/07)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Trevor

Trevor
PostThu Oct 18, 2007 2:54 pm 
Great stuff. I appreciate the more intimate showcasings in some of the images. I'll need to tag along if you guys do this again.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
ree

ree
PostThu Oct 18, 2007 3:08 pm 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
Now I'm not gay or anything, But Matthews pictures of him bloody well swimming in WINTER waters are my fave.
humpy.gif humpy.gif pink.gif hihi.gif moon.gif moon.gif moon.gif

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot
PostThu Oct 18, 2007 3:41 pm 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
Matthews pictures of him bloody well swimming in WINTER waters are my fave.
Actually the lakes haven't chilled down much yet, so it was reasonably comfortable on a warm day. Notice I didn't try swimming in the icier upper lakes. Fortunately I'd already swum in Isolation & Tranquil on previous trips. The only cold part is when you're halfway in or out. All or nothing is the way to go. When I'm actually in the water swimming, it feels very refreshing and invigorating. (I also don’t put my head under, because that feels too cold.) For those who haven't ever swum in a high lake, you should try it sometime. It’s a whole different experience being in the lake on the mountain, rather than just standing aside and looking at it. The whole surface of your skin feels the liquid substance of the lake surrounding you and connecting you to the mountain that surrounds the lake.
Trevor wrote:
Great stuff. I appreciate the more intimate showcasings in some of the images. I'll need to tag along if you guys do this again.
You’re right. There were many small bits of shoreline and reflections that were especially beautiful. I tended to post mostly wider scenics because they’re easier to photograph. But a skilled photographer could probably spend hours with the rocks and pools near the the shoreline, or the concentric circles of ice on Tranquil Lake.

“As beacons mountains burned at evening.” J.R.R. Tolkien
boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostThu Oct 18, 2007 9:06 pm 
WOW! eek.gif Jaw dropping day! And you are correct, you can't REALLY appreciate a day like that unless you have had those "other" conditions, like the "Great View Hike" on a zero visibility day. People often see some of my better photos (can't say I can match THESE!) and want to see the same thing...Maybe they will and maybe they won't, if they do the hike, that what makes it extra special when it does come together. You definitely got THE "It just doesn't get any better than this." award for THIS one. Thanks for sharing!

friluftsliv
Gil

Gil
PostThu Oct 18, 2007 10:16 pm 
Fantastic shots, guys. I hate you.

Friends help the miles go easier. Klahini
trailjunky
Backcountry Bumpkin'

trailjunky
Backcountry Bumpkin'
PostFri Oct 19, 2007 12:16 am 
Cant stop drooling, awesome trip. stun.gif

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri Oct 19, 2007 12:43 am 
ree wrote:
Backpacker Joe wrote:
Now I'm not gay or anything, But Matthews pictures of him bloody well swimming in WINTER waters are my fave.
humpy.gif humpy.gif pink.gif hihi.gif moon.gif moon.gif moon.gif
Ya, I wanna see YOU swim in that stuff smarty! doh.gif moon.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot
PostFri Oct 19, 2007 3:44 am 
trailjunky wrote:
Cant stop drooling
Could be worse. During the trip, I couldn’t stop ejaculating. Now hold on, I have an entirely legitimate connotation for that word. Consider the following definitions: Merriam-Webster Dictionary: “a short sudden emotional utterance” American Heritage Dictionary: “a sudden short exclamation, especially a brief pious utterance or prayer” I actually thought about it that way at one point during the trip, which inspired me to write the opening for this trip report. Throughout the morning, I had been exclaiming in pleasure as my hike through the Enchantments yielded one highlight after another – grand views of peaks, fine details of rocks and water, shimmering reflections, and bright accents of larches everywhere. As I rounded a rise toward Lake Vivane and saw the reflection of Prussik in the water, I realized that practically every step was punctuated with another “ooh” or “ahh” or “wow.” And it occurred to me that me exclamations sounded equally much like expressions of passion or of prayer. And, upon reflection, maybe the coincidence of connotations isn’t so remote after all. In either case, it’s referring to a richness of feeling so wonderful that you can’t hold back from expressing it, an intensity of experience so compelling that you have to act on it. Fundamentally, it’s about responding passionately to something special. So I'm not simply making a crass pun or allusion. What I’m talking about isn’t a matter of cheap thrills or conquests, whether in mountains or in relationships. Rather it’s a process of committing yourself to something, investing yourself in it, and letting yourself be deeply moved by it. That process can happen in whatever excites you, in the best kind of way, whether it’s in a mountaineering outing, a photographic composition, a stimulating conversation, a compelling idea, a spiritual epiphany, a shared endeavor, an intimate relationship, or whatever is most meaningful and stimulating to you. Like this trip, which aroused so much delight in me that I couldn’t help expressing it out loud. I hope I haven’t offended anyone by my phrasing of this post. My experience on this trip reminded me how valuable it is to respond passionately to whatever and whomever you love most, so I wanted to try to put it into words. I hope it resonates with some of your own experience.

silence

silence
PostFri Oct 19, 2007 6:58 am 
Matt ... when we visited the chants back in Sept 03, Aasgard Pass was closed for repairs (so the upper basin was entirely void of people -- making it very special) and the Crystal Creek fire had literally just erupted the day b-4 -- sometimes making visibility almost nil (climbing Little Annapurna was pointless on the day we had to wander), but non the less, our visit was most memorable -- and up 'til now I haven't really had a huge desire to return -- thinking it could never be better -- with much solitude, golden larches, goats, awesome sunsets (caused by the wild fire), a thundering wind that kept us awake one night, and our personal accomplishment (getting up there after a 15-yr hiatus from backpacking). Here are some images (the 1st 8) from that trip (the resolution is poor because they are stills captured from video, but you get the idea): http://www.flickr.com/photos/33792231@N00/sets/72057594127500519/detail/
The Enchantments
The Enchantments

PHOTOS FILMS Keep a good head and always carry a light bulb. – Bob Dylan
Canuck

Canuck
PostFri Oct 19, 2007 7:16 am 
Matt wrote:
For those who haven't ever swum in a high lake, you should try it sometime. It’s a whole different experience being in the lake on the mountain, rather than just standing aside and looking at it. The whole surface of your skin feels the liquid substance of the lake surrounding you and connecting you to the mountain that surrounds the lake.
You know, on a hot day, I'd agree with you! But otherwise, forget it (unless it's a long trip and I stink)!! I've swam in my share of alpine lakes and had a lovely time... but this summer (August), I went swimming in Heart Lake in the Olympics and it was so cold it literally took my breath away. I couldn't take another gulp of air while I was submerged, the shock was too much. eek.gif I can't imagine jumping in while there's snow on the ground!!

Yet

Yet
PostFri Oct 19, 2007 7:41 am 
silence wrote:
When I first saw your post in the Index I thought, oh ... just another Enchantments post with purty pix -- glad I finally decided to check it out. Thanks for sharing your insightful thoughts and beautiful images.
Matt never posts "just another" trip report.
Matt wrote:
Fundamentally, it’s about responding passionately to something special. Rather it’s a process of committing yourself to something, investing yourself in it, and letting yourself be deeply moved by it. That process can happen in whatever excites and arouses you, in the best kind of way, whether it’s in a mountaineering outing, a photographic composition, a stimulating conversation, a shared endeavor, a spiritual insight, in physical intimacy, or whatever is most meaningful and stimulating to you. Like this trip, which aroused so much delight in me that I couldn’t help expressing it out loud.
I love it! Every word, resonates within. When I do the things I love, I derive such enjoyment - whether it be hiking or studying. I just get so excited that I could not help but smile which leads into giggling out loud and sharing the joy with everyone, even though they have not a clue what prompted the giggles. But it matters not because there it is. Could not contain it. Will not be stifled. I cannot imagine life without passion. It's good stuff.

silence

silence
PostFri Oct 19, 2007 7:55 am 
of course, you're absolutely right yet -- i've always enjoyed matt's trip reports, but with the number of recent posts covering the chants ... well, i just wasn't thinkin' ... my mistake agree.gif did i make it clear ... this one has esp inspired me

Yet

Yet
PostFri Oct 19, 2007 8:21 am 
silence wrote:
of course, you're absolutely right yet -- i've always enjoyed matt's trip reports, but with the number of recent posts covering the chants ... well, i just wasn't thinkin' ... my mistake agree.gif did i make it clear ... this one has esp inspired me
silence, I forgot to put a wink.gif - certainly didn't want to imply you were making a mistake! smile.gif But I especially like this statement, "of course, you're absolutely right yet." embarassedlaugh.gif Now back to Matt. wink.gif

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot
PostFri Oct 19, 2007 8:39 am 
silence wrote:
The Enchantments
The Enchantments
That's a beautiful reflection of the granite, and also the ripples and the golden water in your link. Thanks for sharing your story. I wonder, next time I go back, if I'll feel let down in comparison to this trip, but I don't think so. There are still so many nooks and crannies up there to explore from a different perspective. For example, I haven't yet seen most of the Lost World Plateau, or some of the places like Troll Sink or Shield Lake.

silence

silence
PostFri Oct 19, 2007 9:02 am 
no matt ... THANK YOU ... for inspiring me to want to return again. it truly is a remarkable place.