Forum Index > Trip Reports > Ecstasy of the Larches – Enchantments Traverse (10/13/07)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Jason Hummel

Jason Hummel
PostFri Oct 19, 2007 9:58 am 
Cool stuff. If only I could've been more places than one...such nice weather. What a great place.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Stefan

Stefan
PostFri Oct 19, 2007 11:06 am 
very nice pictures Matt. Thank you for sharing.

Art is an adventure.
kyle d

kyle d
PostSun Oct 21, 2007 9:17 pm 
Thanks Matt for the pictures and the observations. Over a week late, but here are a few more pics
Colchuck Reflection
Colchuck Reflection
Two larches
Two larches
Sun reflecting
Sun reflecting
Perfection Lake on a nearly perfect day in the Enchantments
Perfection Lake on a nearly perfect day in the Enchantments
Sprite Lake
Sprite Lake
Tarn in the Enchantments
Tarn in the Enchantments
Enchantments
Enchantments

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot
PostSun Oct 21, 2007 10:39 pm 
Kyled, very nice, especially the first three. Colchuck Lake was just too dark when we came up. What makes the star effect on the sunlight reflections? Something about the lense?

“As beacons mountains burned at evening.” J.R.R. Tolkien
Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostSun Oct 21, 2007 11:11 pm 
Filter, I believe. It is a really nice effect. I want stars.

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot
PostSun Oct 21, 2007 11:53 pm 
BTW, here's one other interesting thing we saw on our way up. At the very tip of Colchuck, while the sun was still hidden behind the peaks, a single spot of light began to glow brightly. The sun was shining through the mountaintop snow at just that one spot, and lighting it up like a bonfire glowing on the summit. (The photo is very grainy, but still shows the glowing spot. Its light is even reflecting off the surrounding rocks.)
Colchuck Beacon
Colchuck Beacon

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostMon Oct 22, 2007 2:20 am 
I don't get the same sort of lens flare from my little point and shoot. Maybe it's an SLR thing? My guess was that it might be the result of a polarizer or some other filter that brings it down to a manageable level for the sensor. I'm certainly no photography god. It's a cool effect, whatever it is. Here's what my camera produces from the same sort of angle:

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
peltoms

peltoms
PostMon Oct 22, 2007 5:53 am 
Matt I have mentioned before how great the stark larch pictures are, but I also note today that one of your photographs is photo of the week at Summitpost.org, well deserved.

North Cascade Glacier Climate Project: http://www.nichols.edu/departments/glacier/
Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostMon Oct 22, 2007 7:18 am 
That really is an especially nice shot. The attention is well-deserved. up.gif

kyle d

kyle d
PostMon Oct 22, 2007 8:08 am 
Thanks everybody. No I didn't have a filter, so for me the star effect is just random luck of perhaps getting the right angle to produce the effect in my camera? Yeah, due to me forgetting my sunglasses twice (once in the car and once about a mile in) we got a much later start than I had anticipated, however, that made it nice and light by the time we got to Colchuck. Also, congratulations on the photo of the week Matt.

Mark Griffith
(Embrace yourself)

Mark Griffith
(Embrace yourself)
PostTue Oct 23, 2007 8:07 am 
Great pics and report. Looks like you guys had gorgeous sunny weather. Someone really went swimming!?!?!

joyhiker
joyhiker

joyhiker
joyhiker
PostTue Oct 23, 2007 8:59 pm 
Abosolutely stunning!! Thanks for sharing your beautiful pics. I hope you plan on framing a bunch of them. We hope to make it there soon, but you are brave going this late in the year. I'm glad the weather held out for you. What were the daytime and nighttime temps, any idea? Was the trail snowbound most of the way? Anyway Congrats on a great trip! up.gif

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot
PostWed Oct 24, 2007 12:24 am 
joyhiker wrote:
We hope to make it there soon, but you are brave going this late in the year. I'm glad the weather held out for you. What were the daytime and nighttime temps, any idea? Was the trail snowbound most of the way?
This time of year, it just depends on the weather. Last weekend would have been nasty. This weekend looks good. When we were there, daytime temps were warm enough that we made most of the hikein shirtsleeves. Expect nighttime temps to drop below freezing, maybe down into the teens if it's a clear night. Best way to estimate temps is to check freezing levels on the National Weather Service website. The trail was snowy in the high lakes basins and the top third of Aasgard Pass, but clear otherwise. Recent weather has both more snow and more melting, so hard to say what it will be like by next weekend. Check the recent Late Season in the Enchantments thread for more info.

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot
PostWed Oct 24, 2007 12:42 am 
peltoms wrote:
one of your photographs is photo of the week at Summitpost.org
My thanks to CscdHkr (Dean) for transfering some of the pictures to summitpost.org. I was surprised that particular photo was so popular. It doesn’t show any of the big peaks or routes or lakes in the area in the area. It's somewhat cluttered. It's not as dramatic as many of the other "photo of the week" winners. But maybe that's what was appealing about it. It just shows a place that many people would enjoy being at.
”Photo of the Week”
”Photo of the Week”
I guess what makes any photo work is the feelings it evokes. Sometimes a photo succeeds by providing a vivid sense of the place it depicts. It pulls your imagination into the setting and lets you feel like you’ve been there, or want to be there. And sometimes a photo works simply because it connects to one's own personal experience. For example, my favorite photo from the trip is the following one, not because it's the best composed image, but just because, for me, it looks most like what I remember from that day, the combination of snow & larches, lakes and peaks, spreading out like a banquet to explore and savor.
Perfection
Perfection

joyhiker
joyhiker

joyhiker
joyhiker
PostWed Oct 24, 2007 9:25 am 
Thanks Matt for the info! Again awesome pics!