Forum Index > Trip Reports > Almost Naches Loop
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
nuclear_eggset

nuclear_eggset
PostSun Oct 21, 2007 7:40 pm 
I got lost! Well... I didn't know where the trail was, but I could see 410, so I knew where I was. tongue.gif I wanted to try out Naches Loop, and though Snotel told me there wasn't all that much snow out there, I tossed my snowshoes in the car just in case. Man, I'm glad I did! A veritable winter wonderland was out there. Which meant, especially since I'd never been there, that the trail wasn't visible under the powder. I followed the existing tracks for a while, but there were many crisscrossing tracks all over the place, and sometime not too far after Chinook Pass, I think I followed a skiiers track, not the proper one. This was reinforced by seeing the only possible path head straight up the mountain - not looping it - and seeing carved paths down the hill towards the freeway near the end of it. It had been enough time into it that I opted to "smoosh" down the hill and follow the trail back from the pass. (This is my new word for those giant snowshoe steps where you still sink a foot into powder and 'smoosh' down the slope and towards the ground.)
The hill that I smooshed my way down when I could no longer be confident of the hiking trail.
The hill that I smooshed my way down when I could no longer be confident of the hiking trail.
The snow and ice had been collecting on the plant life all long, from strong wind.
The snow and ice had been collecting on the plant life all long, from strong wind.
It must have been quite a storm to coat the tree trunks with snow as well, and it made for a storybook forest scene.
It must have been quite a storm to coat the tree trunks with snow as well, and it made for a storybook forest scene.
The trail goes over Chinook Pass.
The trail goes over Chinook Pass.
The view over the lake, as a bit of fog has cleared.
The view over the lake, as a bit of fog has cleared.
Rocks in the lake were capped with snow, making them look like golf balls, or mushrooms.
Rocks in the lake were capped with snow, making them look like golf balls, or mushrooms.
An owl was spotted in a tree on the way back by another photographer.  It was quite content to sit there and watch people tromp pass.
An owl was spotted in a tree on the way back by another photographer. It was quite content to sit there and watch people tromp pass.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
GeoTom

GeoTom
PostSun Oct 21, 2007 7:45 pm 
Wow! eek.gif I was there 4 weeks ago (for Naches Peak), and while I realize a lot can change in 4 weeks, it still surprised me to see such a drastic change.

Knows literally nothing
Joe

Joe
PostMon Oct 22, 2007 7:55 am 
Double wow. The area looks dramatically different from our hike the previous weekend. Nice photo of the owl!

Joe