Forum Index > Trip Reports > Another almost Alta via Rachel Lake (10/27/07)!
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
the Zachster

the Zachster
PostSun Oct 28, 2007 4:17 pm 
First, I have to ask...Joker, how could we possibly have missed you! dizzy.gif I had to laugh when I read your trip report because we walked in each others footsteps all the way! Ditto about the lighting. Ditto about the weather. Ditto about the superb alpine napping! We started out around 8:30 AM and took our time getting to Rachel Lake due to the beautiful frost on the vegetation that begged for pictures.
There is so much water on this trail there is no need to carry extra for canine friends. And if you've been on this trail, you know I mean that quite literally...lots of water ON THE TRAIL. Rocks, roots and mud and stream beds that double as trails are the typical tread for a couple miles before you get to the lake. But if you watch your feet it's not too bad.
Today was a little more exciting because several of the wet places were actually sheets of ice. Even Zach took a good butt slide on one of them!
If you like waterfalls, this is a great hike because there are several beauties along the way.
The snow, that started just below Rachel, was very consolidated and there was a trench to follow up to the ridge overlooking Rachel. The light was not good for pictures but here's a view down to Rachel.
Once we were on the ridge to Alta the snow was very intermittent. As Joker mentioned, it was a little challenging with a leashed dog on some of the steeper slopes but Zach has been doing this for years and knows the routine!
There are numerous false summits along the ridge so when you first think you see the summit, don't worry, it's not.
But that's OK. This is one of the finest ridge walks around with fantastic scenery to enjoy going up and going down. We stopped short of the summit also and found a comfy bump to take a nap on. It was such a fine day! Here are some final views of the area...
PS And the best part was...all of our windows were intact when we got back to the car!! chickenleg.gif

"May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am"
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostSun Oct 28, 2007 5:14 pm 
I was in the threesome (foursome counting Sampson) that was coming up as you came down from your high point. We pushed a bit further, but still not the toop. The terrain got even a little tricker ahead. So we met, but did not ascertain screen names. Nice meeting you guys! Sampson is new to that sort of terrain (relatively young) but was starting to get the hang of just hunkering right behind me as I went down some of the trickier bits.

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostSun Oct 28, 2007 5:15 pm 
Quote:
I like the pure split image in this one. The top is ALL dark boughs and the bottom is ALL frosted twigs.

Layback
Cascades Expatriate

Layback
Cascades Expatriate
PostSun Oct 28, 2007 6:10 pm 
Wow! You had some great light out that way!

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot
PostSun Oct 28, 2007 7:45 pm 
Gorgeous frost photos. Nice rainbow in the falls also.

“As beacons mountains burned at evening.” J.R.R. Tolkien
the Zachster

the Zachster
PostMon Oct 29, 2007 7:40 am 
Thanks! smile.gif

"May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am"