Forum Index > Trip Reports > Rampart Ridge and Lakes - 10.28.2007
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
ragman and rodman

ragman and rodman
PostTue Oct 30, 2007 1:38 pm 
Starting from the unofficial trailhead (3800'), we got the 1000 feet of elevation gain to Lake Lillian in short order... then used the fairly new path that leads away from the lake and then up and around the icy rock on the right side of the lake... then up to the pass (5200') above the lake where the continuous snow began... from the pass we stayed between 5100' and 5400' as we contoured our way around the hillside and finally dropped to the Rampart Lakes at 5000'. Lunch at the lakes was very peaceful... we didn't see any other people and were a bit surprised to not at least see some old footprints in the snow. After lunch we started back the way we came and at the first reasonable gully, we began to switchback our way up to the high point on Rampart Ridge... our route to the high point ended with a short stretch of exposure although there is probably an easier route. A beautiful day to be stuck in the Northwest... guesstimate 5 miles roundtrip, gaining 2500 feet of elevation. Pictures from our Rampart Ridge hike. ..

"Teanaway 70" Peaks List... a guide to hiking and scrambling in the Teanaway Area. ----------------
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Oct 30, 2007 1:41 pm 
Nice pics R&R. Thanks.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Steve Erickson

Steve Erickson
PostTue Oct 30, 2007 1:50 pm 
Great pictures. Makes me want to leave the office and head for the hills. Can't wait for the weekend.

mgd

mgd
PostTue Oct 30, 2007 5:18 pm 
the Zachster

the Zachster
PostTue Oct 30, 2007 9:21 pm 
It's reports like this that make me want to retire REAL early...looks like you had a great day and a great time! I especially like the shot of exposure! eek.gif

"May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am"
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostTue Oct 30, 2007 9:41 pm 
Great TR, Ragman. Frank has an interesting pack and interesting pants. Are they vintage?
vintage?
vintage?

ragman and rodman

ragman and rodman
PostWed Oct 31, 2007 3:05 pm 
Magellan, Frank has responded to your question... these are his words: "Everything is vintage including Frank. Pack obtained from brother-in-law. Some kind of internal frame thing that is a little roomier than a day pack but hugs closer than external frame so more sweating. All the waterproof coating is worn off. Pants strictly Army Surplus tight knit wool. Standard fare for snow hiking. Always amazed when they still fit. Boots ancient REI insulated high tops rebuilt about three times. Instep starting to tear away again. Ice ax inherited from old room mate prior to 1980. Long wood shaft seems short to me. Underneath it all is fleece technology that is warm, lightweight, moisture repelling. Kinda like a vintage car with late technology stereo system. Way underneath it all is a 56 year old power plant with low miles and cubicle stored for the last 32 years. It ain't pretty but still works."

"Teanaway 70" Peaks List... a guide to hiking and scrambling in the Teanaway Area. ----------------
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostWed Oct 31, 2007 10:06 pm 
ykm.gif rotf.gif