Forum Index > Trip Reports > Duckabush / O'Neil / LaCrosse Pass
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
goats gone wild
Mr. Goat

goats gone wild
Mr. Goat
PostWed Oct 31, 2007 9:51 pm 
I'm just learning how to post pictures in a TR and use flickr. Geobob was kind enough to teach me how. These are a couple of pictures from a trip up the Duck to O'Neil Pass/LaCrosse Basin/Lacrosse Pass last year. They were taken with a very fancy disposable camera--the best money could buy. up.gif winksmile.gif
duckabush trip 099
duckabush trip 099
Big Hump on the Duck (past the haunted part of the trail)
duckabush trip 009.jpg modified
duckabush trip 009.jpg modified
O'Neil Pass at dusk. Had to wait for some onery bears to move off the trail, so we were late setting up camp that night.
duckabush trip 007
duckabush trip 007
Exploring LaCrosse Basin the next morning.
duckabush trip 017
duckabush trip 017
Nearing LaCrosse Pass (on Duck side of the ridge). uhh.gif Trying to figure out where Home Sweet Home is on the NF SKok. Thanks Geobob wub.gif

.....leaving me wanting to return over and over in what ever capacity that may be, even if one day my knees are too old and I can only see the mountains from my porch. Jason Hummel
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostWed Oct 31, 2007 9:55 pm 
Nice effort GGW. Not to much flash or blab. I should be taking notes. Or burning my notes.

goats gone wild
Mr. Goat

goats gone wild
Mr. Goat
PostWed Oct 31, 2007 10:15 pm 
Thanks Mag, Actually, because the trip was last year, I've forgotten all the details dizzy.gif lol.gif It took me four hours to figure out how to use Flickr and post images. Holy Geezsus. No way am I ever going to try to duplicate your "effin" video tricks. That would require a brain transplant for sure. lol.gif lol.gif

.....leaving me wanting to return over and over in what ever capacity that may be, even if one day my knees are too old and I can only see the mountains from my porch. Jason Hummel
geobob

geobob
PostWed Oct 31, 2007 11:05 pm 
Goats: Nice to see you're up and running with posting pictures. Glad I was able to help! The O'Neil Pass/Upper Duckabush country must be Bear central. I was in that area in the mid 80s and it was thick with bear then. Remember coming over O'Neil Pass in the early evening (via the Dosewallips and Anderson Pass) and looking down the Duckabush for a likely camping spot and just as we spotted a great looking site, a bear walks out of the forest right across the camp spot. We found another good spot near Marmot Lake with no sign of bears, but after setting up camp and finishing dinner, we noticed several bears on the nearby hillsides. Didn't sleep too well that night. The plan was to stay high and roughly follow the ridge between the Quinault and the Duckabush to LaCrosse Pass, but we got rained out (I mean it really poured) so we bailed out down the Duckabush to the Duckabush Shelter where we were able to get out of the rain, build a fire and dry out. The next day we had to wait for the Duckabush to drop so we could ford it and we hiked out over LaCrosse Pass and down the Dose to the trail head. One long day! Got back to the car after dark. Anyway, your pictures brought back memories of a great trip.

I think there's an easier way on the far side
goats gone wild
Mr. Goat

goats gone wild
Mr. Goat
PostThu Nov 01, 2007 7:59 am 
geobob wrote:
Goats: The plan was to stay high and roughly follow the ridge between the Quinault and the Duckabush to LaCrosse Pass, but we got rained out (I mean it really poured) so we bailed out down the Duckabush to the Duckabush Shelter where we were able to get out of the rain, build a fire and dry out.
Okay, now you got me thinking about the ridge between Quinault and Duck. I'm having flashbacks from looking out LaCrosse Pass west - it looked doable from there. Also, looked doable between Upper LaCrosse Basin to Ranger's Notch....(and I think there is even another lake up at higher elevation) But what the heck is between Ranger's Notch and to where I could see west of LaCrosse Pass? uhh.gif I can't think of where the ridge goes. dizzy.gif I get warm fuzzy feelings thinking about Camp Duckabush. The shelter is no longer there but you can see reminents of where it stood. Still, it's a great camp site. We had rabbits come visit us in the evening, and in the morning I took my fishing pole out to try and catch something. Caught some really nice logs, as i recall. Thanks for sharing your memories, up.gif hockeygrin.gif Anyway, got to rush kids off to school now. Thanks again, geobob, for helping me learn to post pictures. agree.gif

BeyondLost
Crazy Bob

BeyondLost
Crazy Bob
PostThu Nov 01, 2007 8:26 am 
So I want to see pics of the ornery bears. biggrin.gif Looks like a great trip. up.gif

goats gone wild
Mr. Goat

goats gone wild
Mr. Goat
PostThu Nov 01, 2007 8:45 am 
BeyondLost wrote:
So I want to see pics of the ornery bears. biggrin.gif
Sorry, no pictures. But I can tell you, they had evil eyes----like Lurch (in Rich Baldwin's avatar). lol.gif

geobob

geobob
PostThu Nov 01, 2007 9:43 am 
I'll have to go through my old slides of the trip to see if I've got any bear photos, but I imagine if I do it's the type of deal where you say "see that black dot, that's a bear, trust me".

geobob

geobob
PostThu Nov 01, 2007 6:27 pm 
Ok...I looked through my old slides of the Dose/Duckabush trip...no bear photos. They were there though; you'll just have to trust me. As a matter of fact there were hundreds of them and we had to fight them off with our pocket knives! I did find a few slides that I thought goats might be interested in. here they are:
Hart Lake Shelter
Hart Lake Shelter
Hart Lake Shelter - We spent two nights around Marmot Lake and Hart Lake (the second in the shelter) waiting for the weather to improve...it didn't
DuckabushShelter
DuckabushShelter
Duckabush Shelter - Spent one night here. Thank god we found the shelter because we didn't have tents and we were soaked! Our raingear was pretty marginal too.
Waiting
Waiting
On the ridge above Hart Lake, hoping for some views. Ok, I had to throw in a bear photo from a different trip; from the Klamath Mountains in northern California. This guy/gal never noticed us. We watched him/her slide down a snow bank on his/her butt and wander off into the forest
Bear
Bear

goats gone wild
Mr. Goat

goats gone wild
Mr. Goat
PostThu Nov 01, 2007 8:24 pm 
geobob wrote:
...no bear photos. They were there though; you'll just have to trust me. As a matter of fact there were hundreds of them and we had to fight them off with our pocket knives!
liar.gif lol.gif
geobob wrote:
I did find a few slides that I thought goats might be interested in. here they are:
up.gif up.gif Those are superb shelter pictures. agree.gif I'm so glad you have their history preserved on film. Seeing them really makes me want to go back in time, and do that trip with you, rain and all. How lucky we are that the Park is so timeless in every other way. I wonder what trees are still growing in the same place?
Waiting
Waiting
Hottie Mountain Men up.gif hockeygrin.gif

Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostThu Nov 01, 2007 8:36 pm 
goats gone wild wrote:
It took me four hours to figure out how to use Flickr and post images. Holy Geezsus. No way am I ever going to try to duplicate your "effin" video tricks. That would require a brain transplant for sure. lol.gif lol.gif
Me too, the first time. And the second. And the third. But by the fourth time, I didn't even have to cuss. Now it's pretty easy, if somewhat time consuming. I like video. Can't wait for the new computer so I can edit the video to some cool music. Just imagine watching a guy glissade off a cliff to the thumping of 'My Sharona'.

Hiker Mama

Hiker Mama
PostThu Nov 01, 2007 8:49 pm 
Good for you, Goats! up.gif Way to persevere! Once you do the picture posting thing a few times, it'll go pretty easy. I look forward to joining you again for another trip. biggrin.gif

My hiking w/ kids site: www.thehikermama.com
goats gone wild
Mr. Goat

goats gone wild
Mr. Goat
PostThu Nov 01, 2007 8:49 pm 
Magellan wrote:
Just imagine watching a guy glissade off a cliff to the thumping of 'My Sharona'.
rockband.gif wheeee toothless.gif up.gif

goats gone wild
Mr. Goat

goats gone wild
Mr. Goat
PostThu Nov 01, 2007 8:53 pm 
Hiker Mama wrote:
I look forward to joining you again for another trip. biggrin.gif
Same here! agree.gif hockeygrin.gif

goats gone wild
Mr. Goat

goats gone wild
Mr. Goat
PostThu Nov 01, 2007 8:56 pm 
HJT wrote:
goats gone wild wrote:
Waiting
Waiting
Hottie Mountain Men up.gif hockeygrin.gif
Only goats would say something like that. paranoid.gif paranoid.gif paranoid.gif
notlistening.gif notlistening.gif notlistening.gif Not listening hockeygrin.gif